Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Ping! Bollocks - I need to self-isolate...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Can we take a reality test please. The Prime Minister and Cabinet are running the country, trying to keep us all as safe as possible in impossible circumstances.

:lol: :lolol: :lol:

Genuinely hilarious.

Last edited:

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Yep, agreed. I thought they were going to change the isolation requirements for the double-jabbed anyway. Isolation after getting pinged by the app isn’t the ‘law’ though - it’s only advisory. The law only applies if you’re directly contacted by T&T…….

The Health Secretary contracted Covid-19. The Health Secretary met with the PM and the Chancellor.
As a confirmed case, his contacts were then told by Test & Trace to isolate. This is not advisory. It is a law, introduced and agreed by the PM, the Chancellor and the (previous) Health Secretary.
That law is not lifted until 16th August (for those fully vaccinated, or under 18).

I agree that there is no law requiring you to self-isolate after being pinged by an app on your phone, but that is not reported as being the case here.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The Health Secretary contracted Covid-19. The Health Secretary met with the PM and the Chancellor.
As a confirmed case, his contacts were then told by Test & Trace to isolate. This is not advisory. It is a law, introduced and agreed by the PM, the Chancellor and the (previous) Health Secretary.
That law is not lifted until 16th August (for those fully vaccinated, or under 18).

I agree that there is no law requiring you to self-isolate after being pinged by an app on your phone, but that is not reported as being the case here.

595D47E2-AE34-408E-9F52-41CC51EE7D4A.jpeg

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
At Tesco, getting pinged is a brilliant excuse to have a few days off work on full pay for the usual suspects. One guy in the branch where I work is now on his 7th stint of self isolation which is pretty impressive considering he works in the bakery and only comes into contact with 2 or 3 other people a day. All things considered, the PM's dedication to duty could therefore be seen as admirable :moo:

Orange juice in the flow test gives a positive result btw!

Not that I told you that

A teacher at a school in Birmingham said one of her class told her that and it shut the majority of the school whilst they sent everyone for the full blown test.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
They have reversed that decision. I am not sure how that works as Boris had full,blown COVID and was hospitalised. So why isolate again, unless he is being socially responsible so he doesn’t give it to his hundreds of kids.

Horrible statistic last week on 24 hours in A&E that 1 in 6 people who were in ITU with COVID were back in hospital 6 weeks after they were discharged. This is a vicious little bugger!,

Of course even having been jabbed twice and having had it doesn't prevent you from passing it on, which is the real risk for people like the PM in his situation.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Who should be piloting it?
Just so I’m clear….

How about the NHS staff, shortages of whom are leading to en masse cancellations of operations and other things?

There is literally nothing the PM couldn't do from home which isn't going off on a jolly and poncing around in a hi0viz jacket for an hour. Nothing at all.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Can we take a reality test please. The Prime Minister and Cabinet are running the country, trying to keep us all as safe as possible in impossible circumstances.

You've seen what's happening tomorrow, right?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Same as Michael Gove after he got pinged on returning from the ECL final in Portugal. Fortuitously for him, he was part of the same pilot programme.

Must get round to re-reading ‘Animal Farm’ one of these days…

the images painted in the last pages of that book come to mind every time these articles come out.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
TFL saying that they are not in the pilot scheme, it was discussed, briefly, but it went no further, so yet another lie as they treat us all like mugs who will believe anything they say.
The health secretary and the (so called) Prime Minister both self isolating the day before 'freedom day' just about sums this useless Government up.
If they were not dangerous it would be funny that they can be this hapless.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It's 20 organisations (not sure if that qualifies as "numerous"). And I'm glad that they WILL be self-isolating....apart from going to work!! Could everyone else please have the same scheme? I think we'd all be able to produce a nice little definition of what qualifies as essential for our work.

so you acknowledge their are a number of organisations this set of rules applies. the question is then do we think PM, chancellor, other senior ministers of state should be in that group of essential workers. instead we'll have a jolly good rant about how unfair it is. there was talk about it extending to all workers, its prohibitive to administer at scale (PCR everyday), and stayed a "pilot".

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
As someone has just pointed out on twitter, they’ve ruined the data for that trial now then. :lol:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Horrible statistic last week on 24 hours in A&E that 1 in 6 people who were in ITU with COVID were back in hospital 6 weeks after they were discharged. This is a vicious little bugger!,

any context and details for that stat? given the propensity for the disease to hospitalise people with additional health conditions, that could be a normal rate of re-admission.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
It's strange how pointing out a few factual details that don't quite fit with yet another social media pile on is often viewed as me believing "they can't do any wrong'.

Yes they have caved in now ... take the hit for the initial decision then another hit for u turning. Bloody useless government. [emoji6]

I love the way these little :wink: winking emojis are used to presumably indicate the writer has some some form of elevated insight; that they have a finely-tuned political antenna that means know and understand something that rest of us and any political correspondent and commentator worth their salt are missing. When of course the reality is they are simply being taken for mugs by a selfish, arrogant chancer - just like Johnson's three wives, multiple mistresses and numerous children who doubtless have been lied to, let down and decieved time and time again because Boris - and what Boris wants - at any given moment will always come first.

My natural instincts are conservative but I couldn't vote for a party led by Therese May as I didn't consider her up to the job and I couldn't vote for Johnson as I considered him incompetent, opportunistic, immoral, unfit to lead and utterly without a plan. Nothing I have seen suggests that analysis was flawed.

Supporting Johnson in the face of over-whelming evidence that he is without question one of the worst and most self-serving PMs this country has ever produced goes way beyond politics. And using a :wink: to defend that position is just laughable. In a way, those who still choose to defend Johnson are saying more about themselves than Johnson - and it doesn't result in a very flattering assessment of either their judgement or intellect.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The app under these conditions is a complete nonsense.

What's the point in isolating if you don't have symptoms, especially if you're double jabbed.

Because you can still spread it to the people who aren't protected.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
the question is then do we think PM, chancellor, other senior ministers of state should be in that group of essential workers.

My response to that is what work are these individuals needing to do in the next 10 days or so they can't do via Zoom, especially given that MPs appearing to the House via Zoom is an established thing?

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
I love the way these little :wink: winking emojis are used to presumably indicate the writer has some some form of elevated insight; that they have a finely-tuned political antenna that means know and understand something that rest of us and any political correspondent and commentator worth their salt are missing. When of course the reality is they are simply being taken for mugs by a selfish, arrogant chancer - just like Johnson's three wives, multiple mistresses and numerous children who doubtless have been lied to, let down and decieved time and time again because Boris - and what Boris wants - at any given moment will always come first.

My natural instincts are conservative but I couldn't vote for a party led by Therese May as I didn't consider her up to the job and I couldn't vote for Johnson as I considered him incompetent, opportunistic, immoral, unfit to lead and utterly without a plan. Nothing I have seen suggests that analysis was flawed.

Supporting Johnson in the face of over-whelming evidence that he is without question one of the worst and most self-serving PMs this country has ever produced goes way beyond politics. And using a :wink: to defend that position is just laughable. In a way, those who still choose to defend Johnson are saying more about themselves than Johnson - and it doesn't result in a very flattering assessment of either their judgement or intellect.

It’s a nervous twitch rather than a wink :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here