Piglets On The Road

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I personally wouldn't use this.

More than anything else, I like trying the local food (rarely from inside the ground) on an away trip.

But even if I was desperate for a Piglet, the whole 'breakfast pie' or 'cold pie' conundrum would probably rule me out as well.

NO OFFENCE INTENDED

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Do you really think there's money to be made taking a pie van around the country following the Albion?? The reaction of the local traders around the grounds could make for some interesting pre-match entertainment though.

Depends what you mean by making money. Directly I am sure it could break even. But it would provide valuable brand awareness. If they had a specially kitted out vehicle then it could rock up at other events.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Has Jo considered setting up shop, literally, at Brighton Station anyway should a unit become available?

I know there's a pasty shop there already - no doubt 'award winning' as all pasty shops seem to be, but you'd like to think the presence of a local company, such as Piglet's, would do well against such competition. Having such presence would almost certainly mean a number of Albion fans making a purchase before jumping on the train to some far-flung Northern outpost.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Depends what you mean by making money. Directly I am sure it could break even. But it would provide valuable brand awareness. If they had a specially kitted out vehicle then it could rock up at other events.

Covering costs like cost of the pies to produce, van maintenance, wages, site fees, diesel etc. I have no idea but a round trip of more than 100 miles would mean a shit load of pies would have to be sold, in a very short time frame, I imagine.

On another note, can you legally just rock up at a football stadium and start selling things? If you have to sort the detail of licences every game I imagine it would be hassle and not cheap either.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Has Jo considered setting up shop, literally, at Brighton Station anyway should a unit become available?

I know there's a pasty shop there already - no doubt 'award winning' as all pasty shops seem to be, but you'd like to think the presence of a local company, such as Piglet's, would do well against such competition. Having such presence would almost certainly mean a number of Albion fans making a purchase before jumping on the train to some far-flung Northern outpost.

To me, that's a much better idea.

As well as catching a fair amount of fans setting off for away trips by train, she'd also help promote her brand to a much wider audience. It would, obviously, also allow her to generate some revenue during the football off-season too.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I am the sort of bloke who WOULD eat a pie for breakfast so I'm IN!

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
A better idea would be a mobile van selling their pies which can rock up at each away game. A simple time and place on Facebook; job done. There's a gormet burger van over here which goes where the fun is....and lets people know via social media. It's proving to be very successful.

If Piglets really did want to expand and advertise their brand, this would be the way to do it. Mobile catering vans/trailers are at events all over the country, they could easily get a spot at our away games on a saturday and then at the sunday Premier league game on the sunday. Then there's festivals, cricket, outdoor gigs etc.
Personally I wouldn't bother with our away games at all, they are already well into our support so there's no point in slaughtering the golden goose by saturating Albion fans.

I've often thought if I ever jacked in my job I'd like to do something like this. The best one I ever saw was at a test match at Edgbaston about 7 years ago, they were selling big bowls of chili for £6 a go, it was so simple and they must've been making a good margin and the queue was super fast as well. You got rice, chili, sour cream, jalapenos and a choice of mild, medium, or hot sauce. Never seen it again anywhere :shrug:

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
If Piglets really did want to expand and advertise their brand, this would be the way to do it. Mobile catering vans/trailers are at events all over the country, they could easily get a spot at our away games on a saturday and then at the sunday Premier league game on the sunday. Then there's festivals, cricket, outdoor gigs etc.
Personally I wouldn't bother with our away games at all, they are already well into our support so there's no point in slaughtering the golden goose by saturating Albion fans.

I've often thought if I ever jacked in my job I'd like to do something like this. The best one I ever saw was at a test match at Edgbaston about 7 years ago, they were selling big bowls of chili for £6 a go, it was so simple and they must've been making a good margin and the queue was super fast as well. You got rice, chili, sour cream, jalapenos and a choice of mild, medium, or hot sauce. Never seen it again anywhere :shrug:

Maybe that tells you about its success.

But the brand awareness and affliation would be great, if you new the pie van would be about at X time by following on twitter, even around brighton and hove over lunch times.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

She has.

They seemingly don't want her.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Has Jo considered setting up shop, literally, at Brighton Station anyway should a unit become available.

I have, it is called Beach Hut

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Why should people want to pre order a pie when going to an away match, when half the fun is a breakfast on route and the fish and chip / curry take awa y to eat coming home. The idea is a non starter for me.

Although l love Piglet's offerings, (l regularly chomp my way through a couple of my favourite Chicken Balti's at each home game), this is much how l feel, unless it's an evening kick-off, on the great majority of occasions these pies are going to need to be collected very early in the morning, who in their right mind is going to fancy eating a pie, or want to look forward to eating a pie then? It could well be that depending on venue, the offerings at the opposition ground will be of a high quality anyway. Plus l doubt very much Piglet's would be prepared to offer this service unless they were sure they were going to sell a minimum number.

Sorry folks, a non-starter for me.

Plus of course, these pies need to be pre-ordered, and paid for well in advance. All tooo much trouble for me l'm afraiid

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
In fairness TLO, you could have come on here pitching a cheaper viable alternative to Fuel and you would still attract abuse, I think although cant be certain that you irritate alot of people on the board, not me btw:)

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I went to Seville on what turned into a 'lads holiday' (bleurgh) a few months ago. As we were sat on the beach at Cadiz on the first day enjoying the various mariscos, one of the party brought pulled out a couple of leftover burgers from a barbeque he'd had in his garden the previous day and ate them instead. Utter lunacy.

Appreciate this isn't directly relevant.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Probably the stupidest idea I've ever heard. A variation that might have the tiniest amount of traction would involve people pre-paying for pies and Piglets somehow turning up at the away turnstiles with them freshly cooked to give out to them that ordered one. The practicalities would likely render such a scheme unfeasible for many reasons, but it's the least stupid option. The whole suggestion smells of greedy pseudo-hippy capitalists who don't have the tiniest effing clue about football culture. Might as well have Grubbs inviting people catching a flight to the Dubai World Cup to pick up a double Malaysia at Pease Pottage to eat on the plane. Idiots.

Top ranting

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
On another note, can you legally just rock up at a football stadium and start selling things? If you have to sort the detail of licences every game I imagine it would be hassle and not cheap either.

Of course. I forgot about all this red-tape nonsense.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Covering costs like cost of the pies to produce, van maintenance, wages, site fees, diesel etc. I have no idea but a round trip of more than 100 miles would mean a shit load of pies would have to be sold, in a very short time frame, I imagine.

And it's for this reason more than any other that it just wouldn't work. I think Bozza's idea of a permanent outlet at Brighton Station is a better one, somewhere open six or seven days a week, and available to fans to purchase their fave pies prior to their journey north.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports