Piers Morgan leaves GMB.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
And those same boomers who have benefitted in all the ways you highlight, say they should all have free tv licences.
Give them to the financially-disadvantaged young, I say

And bus passes!! This as well as their mobility financed Ford Focus because they had a hip replacement along with blue badge.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
For better or worse, PM was the only thing worth watching on ITV all morning. Otherwise was (and will now be) wall-to-wall dross all the way up to the ITV lunchtime news. Lorraine anyone?

Well there is always the option not to watch ITV or indeed any TV all morning...

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Not sure your right there. I believe on Monday they had their highest ratings ever and were closer to Breakfast Time ratings then they had ever been. He's gone because he has a grudge against Meghan and that is what has spawned his vitriol against her this week. He has shown no objectivity but then again, has he ever. He has always worked on the basis that he has an opinion and anyone that doesn't agree is clearly wrong.

Viewing figures, popularity, divisiveness, whatever you want to call it, he's not gone because of free speech.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
So what? Do degrees have to directly relate to jobs? Ignoring all the indirect benefits for one moment, do you see no benefit in learning for purely educational reasons?

sounds nice but idealistic to me. i'd ask the graduates who complain they can only find work as baristas and estate agents if their degree was a benefit.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Two points regarding higher education.

I went to uni in the 80’s when there was just capacity for 15% of young adults. Numerically it was elitist. 85% never had access, instead having to find jobs or trades at 16 or 18, that was their academic lot. Full stop.

Now, due to uni growth over 35 years, over 50% of 18 to 20 year olds head to uni.

Separately, many across the academic spectrum, including students, feel that over that time the quality of many degree courses and marking has plummeted, diluting a degree. For example, this from the left wing paper:
https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/education/2019/08/great-university-con-how-british-degree-lost-its-value

Wow! What a brilliant article - completely exposes the increasing worthlessness of degrees - and indeed of education as it is now practised, prioritised by targets.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
sounds nice but idealistic to me. i'd ask the graduates who complain they can only find work as baristas and estate agents if their degree was a benefit.

This is not really my point. My point is more about the idea of people undertaking degrees primarily as education, self-improvement etc. To deny this is anti-intellectualism.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Wow! What a brilliant article - completely exposes the increasing worthlessness of degrees - and indeed of education as it is now practised, prioritised by targets.

It's the same with apprenticeships, I served a five year indentured one these days modern ones are only scratching the surface. The changing of polytechnics to universities stopped many of the hand in hand learning with apprenticeships and further education bodies.

It's the dumbing down of the system while raising the expectation of future careers is what causes the real damage. Blair's government were instrumental in giving false hope to many and subsequent governments have down very little to temper it.

Universities used to be for education, these days they are big business. They spend huge amounts sponsoring sports. This countered that they are trying to attract foreign students. It is though a massive change in the dynamic to years gone by.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
This is not really my point. My point is more about the idea of people undertaking degrees primarily as education, self-improvement etc. To deny this is anti-intellectualism.

But that would only be in a very specific subjects for specific reasons. Why should i fall behind in earnings and life experience (which is something most jobs want now anyway, further restricting me) to learn things that i will never ever need to know.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I always agree with [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] about uni - it can be a great life experience, the academic achievement, learning a whole set of analytical and other skills, 2.6 years away from the control of parents, see a different part of the country if away from your home town and making new mates.

Aside from that, no economy has the high level professions to take 55% of all 21 and 22 year olds.

Even 11 years ago (pre Coalition) we met on holidays loads of reps in their 20’s who had uni degrees, who were repping going against their dreams, on £15k a year. Candidly resigned to the fact that they’d never get their aspirational careers in journalism, writing or media.

I’m pleased that successive governments of all colours opened up uni for the majority and I hope every undergraduate has the time of the lives.

But I haven’t a clue as to how tens of millions (cumulatively) of them can get their dream jobs.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
He's from Sussex, but supports Arsenal. After you know that, why would anyone be interested in any of his other opinions? Susannah Reid might be Palace, but the poor woman's from Croydon, so made the wrong choice for the right reasons.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
And now we've had a year where the young have put their lives completely on hold ... their education and their prospects suffer, their dreams on hold, to prolong the lives of the elderly.

This was the right thing to do of course, but the baby boomer generation need to show some serious humility and serious willingness to open their wallets to pay for the incalculable damage done. Also to express some willingness to be a bit less selfish in the ballot box in the future.

I'm not hopeful

[emoji1787][emoji1787]kin ell...
They really do walk among us[emoji1787]

This was a perfectly reasonable thread declaring how much of a **** piers Morgan is.. then simple got involved and it all got a bit spiteful..The tolerant left eh[emoji2371]

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Er, no, I haven’t got it.

obviously ......thousands of kids here in the lucky country have had their university courses scuttled half way through , they have taken out thousands of dollars in govt. loans and there is no information to be had , the whole system has gone tits up and most of the front bench of our federal government is on leave either sick leave , compassionate leave or been told to piss off until allegations of rape can be sorted out against them.

so if you are doing a degree that gets banjaxed half way through ,what is the point of learning ,when you are paying for it. most degrees are reasonably specific , not every mojo gets a degree in fine arts , classics and media studies and aims to become the prime minister of Britain.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Viewing figures, popularity, divisiveness, whatever you want to call it, he's not gone because of free speech.

The evidence doesn't support you. You originally said he went because his style was no longer popular but their ratings were at their highest! As I and many others have said, he overstepped the line. He chose to mouth off with his unsubstantiated comments, ie his free speech, and because people complained about that, and rightly so, and that it is totally against the ITV campaign regarding mental illness that is why he is gone.

He has gone because he allowed his grudge against Meghan to influence what he broadcast with no objectivity whatsoever.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Piers sounds like he is bit of a snowflake to be honest

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

the fact that you can put forward an idea that someone may shell out time and money for a degree without necessarily taking up a relevant vocation nearing or upon the end of the successful completion of said degree just under lines our differences , we are not talking about 48 yr olds doing degrees in astronomy here mate we are talking about kids trying to get ahead in the world and being shat on by inept , bureaucratic bullshit.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I always agree with [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] about uni - it can be a great life experience, the academic achievement, learning a whole set of analytical and other skills, 2.6 years away from the control of parents, see a different part of the country if away from your home town and making new mates.

Aside from that, no economy has the high level professions to take 55% of all 21 and 22 year olds.

Even 11 years ago (pre Coalition) we met on holidays loads of reps in their 20’s who had uni degrees, who were repping going against their dreams, on £15k a year. Candidly resigned to the fact that they’d never get their aspirational careers in journalism, writing or media.

I’m pleased that successive governments of all colours opened up uni for the majority and I hope every undergraduate has the time of the lives.

But I haven’t a clue as to how tens of millions (cumulatively) of them can get their dream jobs.

The introduction and subsequent rise in tuition fees turned the whole of the university system in to a money making machine, I pity anyone these days who go to uni now, its all about screwing them and their parents for ridiculous fees and accommodation costs. We really should be concentrating on apprenticeships and practical skills, we can't all be captains of industry and rocket scientists.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
The introduction and subsequent rise in tuition fees turned the whole of the university system in to a money making machine, I pity anyone these days who go to uni now, its all about screwing them and their parents for ridiculous fees and accommodation costs. We really should be concentrating on apprenticeships and practical skills, we can't all be captains of industry and rocket scientists.

ding ****ing dong

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports