Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Piers Morgan leaves GMB.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Sounds like you need to grow a pair of bollocks.

As far as I can see, the younger generation have every right to be upset with boomers. You benefitted from cheap housing, bullet proof pensions, free higher education and EU membership, and now not only do they have none of those things but boomers in general have actively voted to ensure that was the case. Meanwhile, boomers don't feel obliged to make the case for why what they've voted for is the right thing.

Two points regarding higher education.

I went to uni in the 80’s when there was just capacity for 15% of young adults. Numerically it was elitist. 85% never had access, instead having to find jobs or trades at 16 or 18, that was their academic lot. Full stop.

Now, due to uni growth over 35 years, over 50% of 18 to 20 year olds head to uni.

Separately, many across the academic spectrum, including students, feel that over that time the quality of many degree courses and marking has plummeted, diluting a degree. For example, this from the left wing paper:
https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/education/2019/08/great-university-con-how-british-degree-lost-its-value

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Er, no.

73% of under 24s voted to stay in the EU: https://fullfact.org/europe/how-did-young-people-vote-brexit-referendum/
61% of over 65s voted leave: https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/b...rs-defeated-millennials-historic-vote-n598481 Although these people tended to be people who weren't old enough to actually fight in WW2.

House price to earnings ratio has rocketed over the past 50 years: https://www.economicshelp.org/blog/5568/housing/uk-house-price-affordability/
If you look at the spreadsheets on the office of national stats site, you can see this in further detail: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...cebasedearningslowerquartileandmedian/current

Final salary pensions almost completely wiped out. No need to link that one, unless you're too stupid to disagree - which wouldn't surprise me in your case.

Same goes for free higher education. The Tories implemented that a couple of decades ago. Tories tend not to rely on the votes of under 24's to gain power.

So which bit is "snivelling drivel" then, you tedious Daily Mail mouthpiece clown? I'm not saying every boomer is a sort of Farage-lite like you, I'm saying that people like this have actively voted to dismantle all these benefits now that they've benefitted from them because it's f**king TRUE.

Not disagreeing with your general point insomuch that no-one will be more minted in retirement that the current generation of over 60s (at least those lucky enough to have had Final Salary pensions) and that the current generation of 20 somethings will be paying for Covid and good knows what else but wasn't it Blair that oddly made higher education a pay for activity as part of his "Education, Education, Education" mandate?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

I went to uni in the 80’s when there was just capacity for 15% of young adults. Numerically it was elitist. 85% never had access, instead having to find jobs or trades at 16 or 18, that was their academic lot. Full stop.

Now, due to uni growth over 35 years, over 50% of 18 to 20 year olds head to uni.

Separately, many across the academic spectrum, including students, feel that over that time the quality of many degree courses and marking has plummeted, diluting a degree. For example, this from the left wing paper:
https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/education/2019/08/great-university-con-how-british-degree-lost-its-value
I think you're arguing at a tangent because the fact remains that in the 60s, 70s, 80s & 90s, if you got the grades you could go to university and fees were paid for you. That is no longer the case and you could easily argue that saddling the poorest of our academically bright young people with a heavy tax burden (it may be called a loan but it is tax in reality) is significant a barrier to entry that didn't previously exist.

Not disagreeing with your general point insomuch that no-one will be more minted in retirement that the current generation of over 60s (at least those lucky enough to have had Final Salary pensions) and that the current generation of 20 somethings will be paying for Covid and good knows what else but wasn't it Blair that oddly made higher education a pay for activity as part of his "Education, Education, Education" mandate?
Yes possibly. A very Tory-lite policy that has hamstrung the centre-ground in the Labour party ever since.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Oh, yes. I'm not going to cast verdicts on who is telling the truth here.

My gripe is that Morgan could be allowed to act in the manner he did. But he's gone now. I'm sure GB news will love him.

I still find it hard to believe he survives after the phone hacking scandal and the soldier pics. But there is a market.

I'm a very dull person, perhaps, and long for simple honest topical media with respectful and honest discourse. Morgan and the tabloids are part of the national embarrassment that forms our media. Where the serious has become pantomime.

You`re too forgiving i would have handed him over to the Regiment he libelled with the strict directive of " NO RETURNS " .

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

so they'll be packing shelves with a degree or driving a forklift with a phd in electrical engineering ......it's all a joke mate , both my kids are half way through degrees , their options for this semester have been scrubbed and they are being told to apply again for the semester after easter break , there is , at this point zero information on line regarding any of their courses ........this generation is getting shafted , i'm almost inclined to buy them a bitcoin each and tell em to chill out ....:rant:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Er, no.

73% of under 24s voted to stay in the EU: https://fullfact.org/europe/how-did-young-people-vote-brexit-referendum/
61% of over 65s voted leave: https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/b...rs-defeated-millennials-historic-vote-n598481 Although these people tended to be people who weren't old enough to actually fight in WW2.

House price to earnings ratio has rocketed over the past 50 years: https://www.economicshelp.org/blog/5568/housing/uk-house-price-affordability/
If you look at the spreadsheets on the office of national stats site, you can see this in further detail: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...cebasedearningslowerquartileandmedian/current

Final salary pensions almost completely wiped out. No need to link that one, unless you're too stupid to disagree - which wouldn't surprise me in your case.

Same goes for free higher education. The Tories implemented that a couple of decades ago. Tories tend not to rely on the votes of under 24's to gain power.

So which bit is "snivelling drivel" then, you tedious Daily Mail mouthpiece clown? I'm not saying every boomer is a sort of Farage-lite like you, I'm saying that people like this have actively voted to dismantle all these benefits now that they've benefitted from them because it's f**king TRUE.

Whaaahhh Whaaahhhh! It’s not fair! Whaaaahhh! :tantrum:

Oh, and I voted to stay in the EU.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Care to be more specific? You make it sound like everything was a lie.

From what I have heard, her perception regarding titles for her children may be wrong but then that may be explained by what she had previously been led to believe. So I'm intrigued to what you say was actually a lie.

She wasn`t even pregnant at the time these supposed claims were made !. To paraphrase Harry , i was asked by " someone " in the firm " how light their children WOULD be if they had any " . MM claimed this was asked whilst she was pregnant , she also claimed that was when they stated Archie would not be titled or protected . I call that lying .

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think you're arguing at a tangent because the fact remains that in the 60s, 70s, 80s & 90s, if you got the grades you could go to university and fees were paid for you. That is no longer the case and you could easily argue that saddling the poorest of our academically bright young people with a heavy tax burden (it may be called a loan but it is tax in reality) is significant a barrier to entry that didn't previously exist.

Yes possibly. A very Tory-lite policy that has hamstrung the centre-ground in the Labour party ever since.

The issue is that the grades had to be much higher than now.

85% by default simply didn’t have the life opportunity to ever get to uni.

A friend who went to a big secondary school in Crawley, told me recently that just two in his year went to uni (one was Robert Smith’s future sister in law!). Whilst he and mates looked on in envy.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

indeed it was. grants remove and charged a grand from '98. to be fair this was implementing recommendations from a report commissioned by Conservatives. sending half the youth population to Uni isnt cheap.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
so they'll be packing shelves with a degree or driving a forklift with a phd in electrical engineering ......it's all a joke mate , both my kids are half way through degrees , their options for this semester have been scrubbed and they are being told to apply again for the semester after easter break , there is , at this point zero information on line regarding any of their courses ........this generation is getting shafted , i'm almost inclined to buy them a bitcoin each and tell em to chill out ....:rant:

I couldn't think of a worse age for Covid restrictions than Uni age. The greatest 3 years of my life which was filled with Sport, drinking, education and most importantly the transition into adulthood. To think I would spend my first year at uni confined to a student house (potentially with right wankers), online lessons, no social life, no sport and a shed load of fees for the privilege is a shit sandwich I wouldn't want to take a bite out of.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Ha ha this is ridiculous if you don't mind me saying.

He has gone not because of his opinions, but because his style is no longer popular with the viewers. ITV I don't think give a monkey's about his opinion because frankly for 6 years they've tolerated all sorts of rubbish coming out of him. The only reason he's gone is because he no longer tips the viewing figures in the right direction.

'We' haven't become anything. ITV sells advertising inbetween Morgan's tirades and once that becomes less popular it's time for him to go. Think of it more like a football manager that has lost the dressing room than anything to do with free speech (which this has nothing to do with...).

Not sure your right there. I believe on Monday they had their highest ratings ever and were closer to Breakfast Time ratings then they had ever been. He's gone because he has a grudge against Meghan and that is what has spawned his vitriol against her this week. He has shown no objectivity but then again, has he ever. He has always worked on the basis that he has an opinion and anyone that doesn't agree is clearly wrong.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington

It is slightly bonkers that it's referred to as a loan rather than a tax. I was in the last year under the old ~£3000 a year system, and I couldn't tell you how much it costs me without looking it up in my payslip. It effectively gets bundled in with NI, income tax and whatever pension contribution etc. I make.

I'm very slightly resentful that people who started the year after me actually pay less per month than I do, as the repayment rates were rejigged at the same time so that people who have lower paying jobs (which includes almost all graduate starting jobs) pay less back. That changes as the income rises, but once you're on about £35k+ a year or whatever it is it makes less difference anyway.

I believe that a comparison with the student demographic in Scotland suggests that in practice the loan system improves uptake amongst poorer students by making more places available so that they're not all taken by upper/middle class people who had private tuition or had the good fortune to go to a good school. Obviously there's all sorts of things that can be said about an education system that creates that problem in the first place, but it's a separate issue.

My major problem with the system in its current form is that it's difficult for anybody to do a degree in later life. I would expect there are plenty of people who initially study relatively low value degrees, who would be in a much better place to benefit if they were able to retrain at a later stage in life when they have a clear idea of whet they want to do.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
so they'll be packing shelves with a degree or driving a forklift with a phd in electrical engineering ......it's all a joke mate :

So what? Do degrees have to directly relate to jobs? Ignoring all the indirect benefits for one moment, do you see no benefit in learning for purely educational reasons?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Whaaahhh Whaaahhhh! It’s not fair! Whaaaahhh! :tantrum:

Oh, and I voted to stay in the EU.
Let me get this straight. You accuse me of writing "snivelling drivel" so I've backed up what I originally said with facts and even given you sources where appropriate.

Your response is this absolute shite above. You've lost the argument, and any credibility that you might have had in the first place.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I couldn't think of a worse age for Covid restrictions than Uni age. The greatest 3 years of my life which was filled with Sport, drinking, education and most importantly the transition into adulthood. To think I would spend my first year at uni confined to a student house (potentially with right wankers), online lessons, no social life, no sport and a shed load of fees for the privilege is a shit sandwich I wouldn't want to take a bite out of.

yes mate , it's far from ideal , kids are topping themselves over this shit ..........sucks to high heaven , totally miss managed .....its a very , very, bad joke.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
So what? Do degrees have to directly relate to jobs? Ignoring all the indirect benefits for one moment, do you see no benefit in learning for purely educational reasons?

two words mate , student loan .....kapische ...? that is probably the wackiest thing I've read from you ....and lets face it .

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not sure your right there. I believe on Monday they had their highest ratings ever and were closer to Breakfast Time ratings then they had ever been. He's gone because he has a grudge against Meghan and that is what has spawned his vitriol against her this week. He has shown no objectivity but then again, has he ever. He has always worked on the basis that he has an opinion and anyone that doesn't agree is clearly wrong.

A spot on summary.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
two words mate , student loan .....kapische ...? that is probably the wackiest thing I've read from you ....and lets face it .

The student loan isn't the major expense - and if you get a poorly paid job afterwards you don't repay it anyway.
It's the 3/4 years of lost income that costs money.

You've reminded me though, that I should thank all the people who took on £10 000 or £30 000 of "debt" to study degrees with about 10hours of contact time a week for subsidising my civil engineering course.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Sounds like you need to grow a pair of bollocks.

As far as I can see, the younger generation have every right to be upset with boomers. You benefitted from cheap housing, bullet proof pensions, free higher education and EU membership, and now not only do they have none of those things but boomers in general have actively voted to ensure that was the case. Meanwhile, boomers don't feel obliged to make the case for why what they've voted for is the right thing.

Whilst I completely agree with you there’s 1000’s of 55 and overs on this board, I’d love to hear a few responses from them on your post [emoji23]

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Er, no, I haven’t got it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here