Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Phrases you hate people saying

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
“All over this…” as in so and so is all over this…

It seems to be the go to phrase in broadcasting, “let’s go to Dave Resplendent who is all over the weather this morning, Dave…”

**** off.

Doubtless some journalist on sky is all over Ronaldo this morning, as for our transfer activity… probably all over.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Definitely. There's no reason to opt for may over can other than following what your family or teachers told you to do.

They have slightly differing implications - "may" is a definite request for permission, whereas "can" could instead be asking about capability (particularly if there's no "please").

e.g. "May I put my whole fist in?" vs "Can I put my whole fist in?"

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
They have slightly differing implications - "may" is a definite request for permission, whereas "can" could instead be asking about capability (particularly if there's no "please").

e.g. "May I put my whole fist in?" vs "Can I put my whole fist in?"

I imagine intonation would effectively convey the meaning in that situation.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Anything on Facebook about people loving others etc - just tell them, why the need to tell every Facebook friend, relative and colleague?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Not in my pay grade.

Someone said it at Latest TV the other week when I asked them to help a lady lift a bicycle into the building.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Many years ago when I was about 28, I had a disagreement at work with some grubby 18 year old know-all sales bloke, who then proceeded to say the line 'I pay your wages'. I can't remember how I reacted at the time, but pretty sure it wasn't with a killer retort unfortunately. Wish I could go back to that moment...!

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
There is a phrase that occurs at the end of every transfer window and is often used by Brighton managers:

"I am happy with the squad we have"

Arrrggghhh!

:)

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
Early doors.

What does it even mean? Are there ontime doors and late doors?

And it seems to be something you do, not go through.

Reckon you've got to be pretty unhinged to use that one. Which, obviously, is an opening for someone to shut this down.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Early doors.

What does it even mean? Are there ontime doors and late doors?

And it seems to be something you do, not go through.

Reckon you've got to be pretty unhinged to use that one. Which, obviously, is an opening for someone to shut this down.

Actually yes, it’s a pub term for when pubs were open at lunch, closed, then opened at 5ish.
Early doors was when the pub first opened.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
“I’m not being funny” - to begin a sentence that leads on to a statement that almost always, could never be conceived as humorous.

“So I’m not allowed an opinion” - frequently uttered by those thick as mince folk who when challenged on something they say, offer up this defensive, idiotic and untrue repost in lieu of lacking any wit or cerebral integrity which would enable them to reply in an intelligent manner.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here