Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Phrases you hate people saying

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I thought I wasn't bothered by anything but I've just been reminded of the word that really gets my goat.
I loathe, really loathe, the use of alum instead of alumnus - it's saving a whole three letters and sounds so ugly.
When I was young, alum was something I found in my chemistry set ... it should have stayed there.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
“So I’m not allowed an opinion” - frequently uttered by those thick as mince folk who when challenged on something they say, offer up this defensive, idiotic and untrue repost in lieu of lacking any wit or cerebral integrity which would enable them to reply in an intelligent manner.

This goes with the belief that all opinions are equally valid. They are not. An opinion based on prejudice and very little knowledge of a situation is not of equal worth as an opinion based on relevant research, experience and knowledge. Opinions can be wrong.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
They have slightly differing implications - "may" is a definite request for permission, whereas "can" could instead be asking about capability (particularly if there's no "please").

e.g. "May I put my whole fist in?" vs "Can I put my whole fist in?"

My dad used to wind me up endlessly with the distinction between these two - which I dutifully now do to my kids.

"Dad, can you drive me to my friend's house?"
"I can... but will I?"

Jahooli

Feb 12, 2008
I’m sick and tired of hearing about a Perfect Storm.
I’m not watching it on principle

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Probably the most childish and boring insult on this forum.

'Bedwetters' is aimed at adults who make ridiculously over-the-top comments, such as
"Potter out. I'm giving up my season ticket," 43 minutes into a game, with the score at 1-0.

"Dan Burn is a disgrace, he should get out of our club," when he's just conceded a throw-in. There are thousands more examples.

I will continue to use the phrase because it's needed!

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
It's been said on this thread already but 'End of' is a pet peeve of mine.

All it usually means is the person saying it hasn't got the stones / ovaries / facts / sense to back up whatever fatuous point they're attempting to make.

Imagine professional debate clubs ending their opening argument with it.

End of.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
'Bedwetters' is aimed at adults who make ridiculously over-the-top comments, such as
"Potter out. I'm giving up my season ticket," 43 minutes into a game, with the score at 1-0.

"Dan Burn is a disgrace, he should get out of our club," when he's just conceded a throw-in. There are thousands more examples.

I will continue to use the phrase because it's needed!

Moaners or whingers…same thing

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Moaners or whingers…same thing

Moaners and whingers talk about poor performances, why was that sub brought in instead of such and such, blame an individual for a mistake etc etc.

Bedwetters make embarrassing, reactionary, entitled statements that are attention-seeking, childish, and should never emanate from a sane adult's mouth. This type of behaviour is prevalent on the club's Facebook pages, to be fair. I rarely visit them now.

There is a huge difference between bedwetters and moaners.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Moaners and whingers talk about poor performances, why was that sub brought in instead of such and such, blame an individual for a mistake etc etc.

Bedwetters make embarrassing, reactionary, entitled statements that are attention-seeking, childish, and should never emanate from a sane adult's mouth. This type of behaviour is prevalent on the club's Facebook pages, to be fair. I rarely visit them now.

There is a huge difference between bedwetters and moaners.

I have never used Facebook so wouldn’t know what they mention on there.
Thanks for the explanation but after watching football for 50 years now I have only heard bedwetters on this forum, apart from the obvious-
029360CF-CB8E-4DFB-95F7-762EDD705359.jpeg

Personally I’ve never used it to describe the type of fan you have mentioned.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I have never used Facebook so wouldn’t know what they mention on there.
Thanks for the explanation but after watching football for 50 years now I have only heard bedwetters on this forum, apart from the obvious-
View attachment 140176

Personally I’ve never used it to describe the type of fan you have mentioned.

I'm not sure I've heard it elsewhere either but, apparently, it's not an NSCism not particularly new.

Screenshot_20210906-164154.png

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bedwetter

Uptown Dunk

Sep 4, 2021
Those people who exclaim “Fact!” This often happens at the end of a sentence containing mostly their wayward opinion. Awful habit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here