[Misc] Phrases you hate people saying

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
"If I had my time again I'd................"

That's never going to happen. You get one shot at it, make it count.

Besides, if you did get that chance to put a few big mistakes right you would only make some new ones, that's what we do - we're human and we screw up

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Softly softly catchy monkey.

I agree with the meaning of the phrase I just simply loathe the words themselves, "catchy". Ugh. It all seems so breathey and a bit noncey.

I get a similar nauseated feeling when someone shortens Spaghetti Bolognese to spag-bol. Come on, we can do better than this.

I also do not like it when people, especially newsreaders describe something as huge or big. As in "a huge car accident" or "a big storm". Those words are completely subjective and offer me no real information as to the size of anything. This is why we have things like the Beaufort scale and numbers.
Use them.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
Softly softly catchy monkey.

I agree with the meaning of the phrase I just simply loathe the words themselves, "catchy". Ugh. It all seems so breathey and a bit noncey.

I get a similar nauseated feeling when someone shortens Spaghetti Bolognese to spag-bol. Come on, we can do better than this.

I also do not like it when people, especially newsreaders describe something as huge or big. As in "a huge car accident" or "a big storm". Those words are completely subjective and offer me no real information as to the size of anything. This is why we have things like the Beaufort scale and numbers.
Use them.

I’ve stopped using this phrase I felt it made me sound like a poacher or colonialist

el punal

Its probably been mentioned on this thread already but I can’t go through 58 pages to check - anyway, my hate phrase is “like” mainly used by under 35 year olds in just about every sentence they utter. Examples being :

“I was like gobsmacked.”

“He was like well hard.”

“She was like well up for it.”

For pity’s sake - SHUT UP, stop being lazy and like speak properly!!

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
"Do you know what I mean?"

The problem with this is that I may THINK I know what you mean, but I can't know for sure - unless you have expressed yourself with crystal clarity in the first place, in which case the question is completely redundant anyway.

Its ******* cousin is "Does that make sense?" which a friend of mine who is a college lecturer says all the time, and which I think is a gross disservice to his students. The only way to know if what he has said truly makes sense to them is to get them to explain it back to him. Many people don't want to appear thick by admitting something doesn't make sense to them that should.

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
'Guys'
'Pep'
'Gotten'
'Go gym' instead of 'go to the gym'
'Conservative Party'

JCLs booing because 'I've paid my money and therefore I'm entitled to boo.' No you're not. Go back to shouting at TVs on a Sunday.

'In this moment' when uttered by someone who has English as a first language.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
“ When you look at our x rating we are fecking brilliant”

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports