Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Phil Neville

When Mike Bamber persued the legend that is Alan Mullery, he made his mind up when he saw Alan grab hold of a colleague's shirt and was impressed by his desire and passion; a quality of leadership he had vision of within our club. I suspect TB is looking for the same and Phil Neville could be that man. Put it this way, who else is on the market that you would really want? I for one would not want Harry.

KJP

Mar 2, 2011
Goring-by-Sea
Neville could be a good appointment but I'm more worried about who he would bring in as his number 2 and coaches (Eric Steele as goalkeeping coach would see Kuszczak handing in a transfer request by all accounts)

Rene Mulensteen would be a great appointment as assistant

Baaaald

3rd time lucky
Aug 7, 2011
Haywards Heath
Hope not. I doubt he would be able to attract the signings to us like Gus has made too.

Would basically be getting rid of all the flair and attacking play and surrendering ourselves to be a mid-table Championship side.

Why would Phil Neville attract less quality than Gus? That's rubbish. Neville played and won at higher level and is far less crackers!!!!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Must admit I am annoyingly impressed with his brother's knowledge and reading of the game on Sky so if Phil is as astute I wouldn't be that upset if he's given the job

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Why would Phil Neville attract less quality than Gus? That's rubbish. Neville played and won at higher level and is far less crackers!!!!

I think you are right, but it does say something about Gus's talent for self promotion and our lack of faith in british forward thinking managers.

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
He is a northerner and always lived up north, chances of moving so far away from home I would think are slim if other northern clubs offer him something, likely to start off as a number 2.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
He is a northerner and always lived up north, chances of moving so far away from home I would think are slim if other northern clubs offer him something, likely to start off as a number 2.

One thing that has always impressed me about PN is his refusal to get dragged into the Old Trafford old boy thing. At his first press conference at Everton he turned aside all questions about Manchester United and said: 'I'm an Everton player now.' His dedication to the Everton cause was total. If he manages another club, I'd expect the same, and i don't think it will matter where that club is. But for now I imagine he'll concentrate on his work with the England under-21 squad.

Craig4004

Aug 30, 2011
Peacehaven
Must admit I am annoyingly impressed with his brother's knowledge and reading of the game on Sky so if Phil is as astute I wouldn't be that upset if he's given the job

I was thinking exactly the same. Gary is probably too clever to be a pundit. Won't be long before he is a manager of a top club. If PN has similar knowledge then it's hardly gonna be a bad thing.

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
Telegraph reckons he's gonna be our new manager

Phil Neville is being lined up by Brighton and Hove Albion as a potential successor to Gus Poyet, with the Championship club understood to be taking steps to appoint their next manager.

Neville has emerged as a leading contender to replace the Uruguayan, who is still the subject of an investigation from his club after he was suspended earlier this month, and the Everton captain is expected to be included on a shortlist if Poyet's departure is confirmed.

Poyet and his assistants, Mauricio Taricco and Charlie Oatway, were all suspended by Brighton in May and a resolution is expected to be agreed next week, with the League Managers’ Association also involved in the inquiry.

HUGE gamble no management experience. I wouldn't be surprised if he came in and played for us though

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I really am all for this if it is on, I think both Nevilles were extremely intelligent, good players and have all the attributes for being managers so well worth a try and just the sort of progressive forward thinking we now have with TB.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Would be nervous about taking anyone in their 1st job. OK, it worked for Gus, but it won't all the time.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
No thanks!

We want someone with experience that can carry on from where Poyet left off and can get us into the prem. Going back to square one with an inexperienced manager is not something I would like. Gus admitted he made mistakes at first, but can we afford those mistakes now that the stakes are so much higher?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
His inexperience is a risk that I am not sure even TB would take. In as coach to n experinced manager, maybe, but I think PN will be looking to jump straight in somewhere.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here