Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Petrol Prices

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
As an aside. I was once found myself in B&Q looking through the veg seed selection. I noticed the huge price difference between Sutton seeds and B&Q own brand. I then sighted a half open box of seed packets left on the floor by a shop worker obviously disturbed in the middle of shelf stacking. The tape around the box was all marked Suttons, yet the packets inside were marked B&Q. Got me wondering, do Suttons have best grade seed for themselves and not so good for B&Q?, or is it all the same seed with just a mark up for the Suttons name ???

I'm sure I saw a documentary on eggs (oh what a life I lead) and the same egg was being sold at vastly different prices. Same source, different profit margin. I imagine the same goes for a lot of products.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Highly likely to be Suttons/Mr Fothergils or A N other. B&Q would get a seed company to grow and pack for them as It's not worth their while to set up a huge sub-division to grow seeds.

Agreed. In my experience, seeds are seeds - buy the cheapest you can get. But never buy garlic bulbs from ESK as you really do get what you pay for! Bloody cost of petrol driving to ESK to try to save money was extortionate too! Neither B&Q or ESK sell petrol I note.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'm sure I saw a documentary on eggs (oh what a life I lead) and the same egg was being sold at vastly different prices. Same source, different profit margin. I imagine the same goes for a lot of products.

To be fair, this is all brings us back to the OP's original question. I mean, if he insists on living in a 'Royal' borough rather than a down at heel deprived seaside resort then what does he expect when it comes to how much he pays for petrol compared to me :wink:

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Same with bananas. They are the top selling item in any supermarket and every supermarket sells them at a loss. They have to keep the price very competitive to encourage footfall.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
...All brands load from the same depot, during loading, the tanker driver adds the additives. all branded fuel has additives, supermkt fuel does not.

i think you've slightly contradicted yourself, or at least explained why there is a difference: the brands add extra additives to the fuel. i dont believe you'd see 50 miles difference per tank unless comparing supermarket premium to BP/Shell premium, and the price difference doesnt cover it. that said i dont touch supermarket fuel as there has been issue in the past with them buy "old" supplies that are basically signed off but may have become contaiminated/deteriorated in storage. cabbies? i see them buy diesel in supermarkets all the time.

i worked in a egg factory/farm once, and the same source provided Sainsbury's economy size 4 through to Harrods Size 0, and everything in between. the basic difference was the Harrods eggs where hand picked to colour match. free range and battery eggs were genuinly different, but it was clear the two got mixed both ways. sometimes a QA person would stop the lines to sort it, but often not. errorneouly packed eggs were dumped in to containers to be sold to "wholesale".

i've seen 12x somthing all over the place, and someone mentioned a price war earlier in the week. supermarkets basically operate with no profit on fuel. alot of "brand" fuel stations are attached to mini-supermarkets and do the same.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
To be fair, this is all brings us back to the OP's original question. I mean, if he insists on living in a 'Royal' borough rather than a down at heel deprived seaside resort then what does he expect when it comes to how much he pays for petrol compared to me :wink:

I was surprised a comment like that took so long !! Also expected something along the lines of "What are you doing down in Hastings on a footy afternoon ?". Checked the scores about 4.30 whilst enjoying Fish and Chips in the excellent Neptune, with the disappointment at the scoreline only slightly tempered by reading the Palace were doomed to defeat as well :down:

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak
The car.manufacturers and most mechanics suggest that if you use supermarket fuel, one in 4 fill ups should be at aBP/ Esso type station. The engine will run rougher otherwise.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Makes no difference to my mpg if I get supermarket or proper fuel, always 42-44 mpg

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
My car runs like a pig anyway. I use Tesco or Sainsbury. But tbh I normally only put £20 for a week, so that means I save about 90p. I shan't lose sleep if in in a Texaco.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Esso by Patcham is £1.29.

I usually fill up there or Asda Hollingbury when taking brother in law to Brighton Sundays to the buses there is never much difference between the two only usually about .2 or .3p a litre and I must say I have never noticed any difference in mpg on my diesel octavia, unless of course that desnt work for diesel.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Have a feeling those that think branded petrol is better are also those desperate to have Nike shirts next season. ...

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
As an aside. I was once found myself in B&Q looking through the veg seed selection. I noticed the huge price difference between Sutton seeds and B&Q own brand. I then sighted a half open box of seed packets left on the floor by a shop worker obviously disturbed in the middle of shelf stacking. The tape around the box was all marked Suttons, yet the packets inside were marked B&Q. Got me wondering, do Suttons have best grade seed for themselves and not so good for B&Q?, or is it all the same seed with just a mark up for the Suttons name ???

You're on the wrong thread this is one for the conspiracy theorist to debate.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I googled this subject and all the forums on there had the same argument as on here some saying that supermarket fuel is inferior but nothing to substantiate that argument only opinions of individual mpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here