Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Peter Ward

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Look out for some you-tube clips of wardy playing in the 70s/80s, then you'll see precisely why he was number one. I watched from 1975, and when he came on the scene he gave a bigger lift to a footie team than any other player I had seen before, or since. Electirfying pace, great turns, two great feet, and all in the middle of glory years.

He amongst anybody was most responsible for bringing crowds of 30k+ almost every wek to the goldstone, and however good flmer turns out to be, I can't see anything beating those memories for me as a teenager.

Each to their own, but seeing him play was awesome, so he's my number one by quite a long clear distance.

Those were the days, my friend. No computers, and we got 30k+ in...

Wardy was called magic which was a very fitting nickname - he was so quick and clever with the ball at his feet that defenders couldn't cope with him. The other benefit was that many teenage girls became interested in BHAFC and, several years later, when they realised that Wardy was unattainable, ended up with other BHA fans like me ...
:smile:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I never saw Peter Ward in the '70s. However, what I find extraordinary about many of the clips that exist is how quickly the action goes from the opposition mounting an attack to Wardy getting the ball into the back of the net. The footage from the games against Blackpool and Blackburn, where he causes mayhem out of nothing, are fine examples. If you blink you might miss what's happened. Zamora had skill, Ward had magic.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Ward was putting simply - Different Gravy - FACT

His speed was awesome too!!!

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
Zamora was very good but if you had seen both of them there is no way he was better than Wardy.
I have just seen the video on You Tube of his goals,he was magic,must go I have just been given his book

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
I am lucky enough to have been around to see both players. As much as I love Zamora for what he did at the Albion, Ward is the better player.

I haven't had a chance to read his book, does it cover his time at Forest? I would be interested to hear his honest views on that time. I think Forest was the wrong club for him to move to. The Forest of that era appeared to be extremely clicky. Either you fitted into Clough's way of playing or you didn't. Ward wasn't the same player when he came back to the Albion on loan, seemed to have had a knock to his confidence and the fact Clough wouldn't allow him to play in the Cup Final probably didn't help. ("Son, I have never been to Wembley and neither will you").

One of my greatest memories of Wardy was going to the Goldstone to see England U21's play Norway U21's in a mid week friendly. Ward was due to play, but got the flu. He did make it onto the pitch and scored a hattrick I believe.

People talk about Lawrenson being the best player to ever wear the stripes. Maybe he was for those football purists, but for me Peter Ward was and is still the best player I have ever seen for the Albion :clap2::clap2:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Youtube clip just took me back.

'IF' I identified the clips rightly....

Against Blackpool we won on the last day but Spurs and Scummers stitched us up.

Against Newcastle we won promotion to the old First Division.

I was only a kid but I hope many more kids get to see the same glory at Falmer.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Ward every time. The defenders were less forgiving, the pitches mud slop, and generally the standard of leagues far better. The likes of Ward and Hillare were football geniuses and praised as such by the whole of football. No one gets that sort of praise these days playing outside of the Premiership.

If Ward was plying his trade today he would walk into any side in the Premiership and be first picked into England. On todays pitches and given the protection afforded to current players by the refs, he would be unstoppable.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Youtube clip just took me back.

'IF' I identified the clips rightly....

Against Blackpool we won on the last day but Spurs and Scummers stitched us up.

Against Newcastle we won promotion to the old First Division.

I was only a kid but I hope many more kids get to see the same glory at Falmer.

Yes, you've got them right. Have you seen www.seagulls.tv, a website I do where I've put a whole load of Albion clips from yesteryear?

pyi

Jul 24, 2007
Peter Ward was class - when he got the ball there was a buzz and he used to bamboozle defenders. Some of his goals were quite simply outstanding. He was a better player than Zamora.

He was our very own GEORGE BEST.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
I too have been lucky enough to see both Ward and Zamora at their best for us. Zamora was indeed a stand-out talent for us but Ward was once-in-a-lifetime special. He was mainly dropped in favour of more physical players as Mullery seemed to think he was a bit lightweight, though I think that says more about Mullery as a manager than Ward as a player.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
He is not so good at shots, but his stamina was great. Tuaca seemed to be his downfall, but when it came to drinking pints of ale, no one came close. He would drink til the early hours of the morning, and end up singing random boyzone classics at the top of his voice.

Zamora was tee total but I did manage to make him wear a girls coat

He is not so good at shots, but his stamina was great. Tuaca seemed to be his downfall, but when it came to drinking pints of ale, no one came close. He would drink til the early hours of the morning, and end up singing random boyzone classics at the top of his voice.

Is/was this some sort of shared training regimen resulting in the state you were in before the game on Saturday?

pyi

Jul 24, 2007
Jimmy Greaves told Mullery that Wardy was better than he was.

Reckon he was right, too.

Yes,you're right.I think he made that comment when he played at the goldstone in an evening game,but i can't for the life of me remember what the occasion was.HELP please.

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005

Zamora was tee total but I did manage to make him wear a girls coat

or Journey or various Christmas classics.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Wardy....simply the most exciting footballer I ever saw in the flesh.Regrettably,the clips of his goals that remain do not do him justice.Many of his best goals were never recorded.
Still brings a smile to my face when I remember those fantastic times at the Goldstone many years ago!:smile::clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here