Peter Ward

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Camp Freddy

Sep 23, 2004
Wiltshire
Just finsished the Peter Ward book and I'm left thinking is he really our no. 1 all time player? I'll be straight with you, I never actually saw him play, but I was aware growing up what a prolific goalscorer he was, and I've always accepted that he personified BHA in the late 70's. But what I hadn't really appreciated was how often was left out of the team or put on the bench, how many times his form deserted him, and how important the likes of Poskett, Clarke and Mellor were.

Zamora on the other hand was hardly ever left out of the team when fit and was arguably a more consistent goalscorer, and his contribution to winning silverware, as if not more significant than Wards contribution to merely just winning promotion. Also he was peerless in the team as a striker (albeit with excellent support from midfield). Dunno, what do you reckon? Happy to be corrected by those who can make a direct comparison!!

As far as the book itself is concerned, I thought it was pretty poor. It was a bit "then they won 2-0, the next week they drew 1-1, then next week they won 3-1...", and I thought John Vinicombes 'Up, up and away', and 'Super Seagulls' were much more readable commentaries on 'the glory years'. The team of the late 70's obviously had a great spirit, and I want to read about that sort of thing in players biographies - all the dressing room banter, and there's hardly any of that in the book.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Look out for some you-tube clips of wardy playing in the 70s/80s, then you'll see precisely why he was number one. I watched from 1975, and when he came on the scene he gave a bigger lift to a footie team than any other player I had seen before, or since. Electirfying pace, great turns, two great feet, and all in the middle of glory years.

He amongst anybody was most responsible for bringing crowds of 30k+ almost every wek to the goldstone, and however good flmer turns out to be, I can't see anything beating those memories for me as a teenager.

Each to their own, but seeing him play was awesome, so he's my number one by quite a long clear distance.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
I enjoyed the book until it got to his time in the U.S.A., i kind of lost interest there.
The main difference between Ward and Zamora for me was that Ward could pick the ball up on the halfway line beat 3 or 4 players then take the ball round the keeper and leavr the opposition looking stupid. Zamora was lethal and was clever enough to find that yard of space and get on the end of things, mainly a Paul Watson cross. Zamora was also extremely fast and any balls over the top that resulted in a chase between him and a defender, well you just knew he was gonna win. But for sheer excitement, that buzz when he got the ball it was Wardy for me.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Ward and Zamora.Totally different players in totally diffferent eras.

Ward is my favourite of the two.He played in a higher division more often than Zamora.He was,in my opinion ,a more skilfull player.We had,in Ward's time, progressed to the point where we could attract some very good players {and buy them!} and rest Wardy,and others,and still put out a strong team.

Zamora was an excellent goal scorer at lower league level,and I think he has improved his overall game somewhat at the expense of his scoring ability.When he was at the Albion he pretty much was the forward line,and played as often as possible,fully fit or not,on form or not,because a poor club had few decent alternatives.

Both tremendous Albion players.Both will be spoken of as true Albion legends in their own right.

It is extremely difficult to "compare annd contrast" such players.I'm one of the lucky ones to have seen them both.

But for me it's Wardy,whether you lose interest in his career after Albion or not.The man was absolute and total flair,and took joy in making fools of tough opponents in an era when tackling was still allowed,and scoring goals out of nothing in impossible positions in all kinds of conditions.

Camp Freddy

Sep 23, 2004
Wiltshire
Ward and Zamora.Totally different players in totally diffferent eras.

Ward is my favourite of the two.He played in a higher division more often than Zamora.He was,in my opinion ,a more skilfull player.We had,in Ward's time, progressed to the point where we could attract some very good players {and buy them!} and rest Wardy,and others,and still put out a strong team.

Zamora was an excellent goal scorer at lower league level,and I think he has improved his overall game somewhat at the expense of his scoring ability.When he was at the Albion he pretty much was the forward line,and played as often as possible,fully fit or not,on form or not,because a poor club had few decent alternatives.

Both tremendous Albion players.Both will be spoken of as true Albion legends in their own right.

It is extremely difficult to "compare annd contrast" such players.I'm one of the lucky ones to have seen them both.

But for me it's Wardy,whether you lose interest in his career after Albion or not.The man was absolute and total flair,and took joy in making fools of tough opponents in an era when tackling was still allowed,and scoring goals out of nothing in impossible positions in all kinds of conditions.

Fair dos. You should have contributed to the book - it would have been a much better read!

What about the times when he was dropped though? Justified? He was out for quite long periods. And what about when he came back, a few years older. Zamora was doing it from start to finish.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
If Ward had had the protection from refs that players like Owen got in the premiership, he would have scored a shed load of goals at the top level. As it was he was 20 years ahead of his time. He had balance, pace and touch that place him as one of the greatest to wear the stripes.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Having only seen Zamora and not Ward its hard to judge but having read the book it's clear Ward was an exceptional talent who should have achieved more in the English game and internationally. The Clough factor drove him away but he had an amazing career in the States.

I have to say that I think Zamora has proved his worth more than ward since leaving the Albion. He has consistantly played at the top level for big clubs and this season has been one of the Premier League's top performers.

As for the book, I have to agree that it is very lacking in annecdotes and personal insights from Ward. Another footy biography that slips lazily into stats and result listing. Still enjoyed it though.

Look out for some you-tube clips of wardy playing in the 70s/80s, then you'll see precisely why he was number one. I watched from 1975, and when he came on the scene he gave a bigger lift to a footie team than any other player I had seen before, or since. Electirfying pace, great turns, two great feet, and all in the middle of glory years.

He amongst anybody was most responsible for bringing crowds of 30k+ almost every wek to the goldstone, and however good flmer turns out to be, I can't see anything beating those memories for me as a teenager.

Each to their own, but seeing him play was awesome, so he's my number one by quite a long clear distance.

Exactly what he said.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Zamora was greta (and he's a better player now than he was in his days with us) but Ward was something else. He had this ability to receive the ball with his back to goal and two or three defenders closely marking him - then suddenly he would be goalside with the ball at his feet. I never saw how he did it, or how it happened - it just did. was like you'd blinked and missed it. The only other players I saw do anything like it in reqal life (ie when I was at the match) were Mick Channon and Peter Osgood, which shows the sort of company he was in.
His only weakness (if indeed it was his weakness, and not that of the players partnering him up front) was that he palyed better with some than with others. He probably played his best alongside Ian Mellor - we kept bringing in 'better' players to partner him (Maybank, Robinson) but the chemistry wasn't there. In my opinion, though, his move to Forest was a big mistake, both for him and for us.

Horney

Oct 12, 2008
What swings it in Wardy's favour for me, is that IMHO he had more charisma.
He was cheeky and exciting. A ' David ' amongst ' Goliaths ' of centre-halves, always looking to make fools of them if he could. An Artful Dodger, picking the pockets of defenders. Oozing impish self-confidence, you never doubted him. A genuine folk-hero, who excited the Goldstone crowd like no other player I have ever seen.
Zamora was more obvious, leading the line, a stand out player who scored some exceptional goals, albeit, at a slightly lower level than Ward. Zamora stood out amongst his peers because he was much better than them. Ward played with better players ( Lawrenson, Horton, Mellor etc ) and was, therefore, less obvious. And therein lay his strength. Wardy was the master of surprise, regularly springing offside traps or robbing defenders on the blind side.
Zamora has changed and evolved as a player. He is now regarded as a good target man, bigger physically than his BHA days and able to lead the line on his own.
Ward was different, slight in build, needing support players around him. He was a more natural finisher than Zamora.
What also swings it for me is the inescapable fact that we have always been the number one club in Wardy's heart. Bobby Zamora made his name at Brighton but his true affections lie elsewhere.

burrish-gull

Mar 24, 2009
Just finsished the Peter Ward book and I'm left thinking is he really our no. 1 all time player? I'll be straight with you, I never actually saw him play, but I was aware growing up what a prolific goalscorer he was, and I've always accepted that he personified BHA in the late 70's. But what I hadn't really appreciated was how often was left out of the team or put on the bench, how many times his form deserted him, and how important the likes of Poskett, Clarke and Mellor were.

Zamora on the other hand was hardly ever left out of the team when fit and was arguably a more consistent goalscorer, and his contribution to winning silverware, as if not more significant than Wards contribution to merely just winning promotion. Also he was peerless in the team as a striker (albeit with excellent support from midfield). Dunno, what do you reckon? Happy to be corrected by those who can make a direct comparison!!

As far as the book itself is concerned, I thought it was pretty poor. It was a bit "then they won 2-0, the next week they drew 1-1, then next week they won 3-1...", and I thought John Vinicombes 'Up, up and away', and 'Super Seagulls' were much more readable commentaries on 'the glory years'. The team of the late 70's obviously had a great spirit, and I want to read about that sort of thing in players biographies - all the dressing room banter, and there's hardly any of that in the book.

I appreciate your opinion but you never saw Wardy play so the conversation ends there. I saw both Ward and Zamora (although a legend) play and he was'nt in the same league as Ward, never, ever...

Johnny Fever

Jan 11, 2010
Just going back to the book itself for a minute, I was amazed at how much ill-discipline there was among that squad of players off the field, connected very strongly of course with the drinking culture. Ward himself took a leading role in all that it appears, even though he was so young. The trip to Jersey and the New Years Eve party ay Ward's house are two great examples.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Wards ability was astounding in the era he played as in those days defenders seriously kicked you off the park.

Zamora is a great player however struggled even in the Championship let although the Premiership however he does appear to be finally finding his touch.

The thing that distinguishes them is that Wardy was always considered one of us whereas Bobby was not as he came from somewhere else.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Ward

[yt]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HFOrfVmpyN0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HFOrfVmpyN0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/yt]

Zamora

[yt]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hEOV4Xryt0M&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hEOV4Xryt0M&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/yt]

Camp Freddy

Sep 23, 2004
Wiltshire
Great post! Loved the silky skills and some great finishes by Ward, but Zamora seems to match him for pace and was stonger and better with his head, and wasn't a bad finisher either was he?

I enjoyed the book until it got to his time in the U.S.A., i kind of lost interest there.
The main difference between Ward and Zamora for me was that Ward could pick the ball up on the halfway line beat 3 or 4 players then take the ball round the keeper and leavr the opposition looking stupid. Zamora was lethal and was clever enough to find that yard of space and get on the end of things, mainly a Paul Watson cross. Zamora was also extremely fast and any balls over the top that resulted in a chase between him and a defender, well you just knew he was gonna win. But for sheer excitement, that buzz when he got the ball it was Wardy for me.

Word. Peter Word.

Things went a little pear-shaped when Mullery decided he needed to work harder and defend, that he ought to have football trained into him when he was a natural talent. Mullery then started trying to buy HIS choices of player, and paid loads for cloggers and mediocre journeymen only really worthy of the lower league - and he put Ward on the bench and played feckin' Maybank (ffs!). Clueless :shrug:
Also, that was about when Ward's marriage was looking rocky, which can't have helped his game.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
we're of the same era gav.

have to say, pretty much spot on mate

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports