Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Pervis Estupiñán - SIGNED - 5 YEAR CONTRACT

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It was always going to happen, experts have been saying it for ages. The football calendar has been ridiculous and will continue to be unless changes are made. The players just play too much football at an intense level.

The pace of the modern game too, especially in football here?

We’re seeing midfielders burnt out by 29.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I wonder if up to 15 minutes of extra time (first and second half combined) is stretching tired players too far. When they are knackered at 90 and then have to push on for another 10, injuries will occur.

shibainu

Mar 9, 2023
Japan
I was really worried when I saw Pervis starting the Chelsea game ... I thought that game was less important, so RDZ may rest Pervis to keep him fresh for the Villa away.

I actually do not think RDZ is good at squad rotation. The first occation I doubted RDZ's decision was the Forest away last season. I was surprised by the first XI of that game like, "After that 120min!? Really!?" That time I thought RDZ need to accept we may lose some games to rest the key players, or playing fresher players may be a better idea than playing his favorites who are knackered.

Anyway, speedy recovery Pervis ...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I wonder if up to 15 minutes of extra time (first and second half combined) is stretching tired players too far. When they are knackered at 90 and then have to push on for another 10, injuries will occur.

The world player’s organisation said that after the Qatar WC.

The problem is that cheating to run the clock down got out of control. Viila, Fulham and others last season a disgrace.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
The world player’s organisation said that after the Qatar WC.

The problem is that cheating to run the clock down got out of control. Viila, Fulham and others last season a disgrace.
I understand why they are doing it, but it feels like a lot of extra time, and we all know that injuries are more likely to occur when a player is tired or fatigued.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I understand why they are doing it, but it feels like a lot of extra time, and we all know that injuries are more likely to occur when a player is tired or fatigued.
Exactly that and this was my fear with Pervis. He’s looked fatigued the last couple of weeks.

Changes need to be made, there’s just too much football played for the level of intensity these days, talented players are going to get ruined. For a start in this country, I would say all teams playing in Europe shouldn’t be in the League Cup at all.

Back to our squad and Ferguson is another one I worry about the moment, particarly at his age and with his body shape. I would like to see him rested for a bit.

Jul 7, 2003
There is an article on The Athletic today about the player workload, the number of early season injuries and where players are not getting breaks using Saka as an example.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
There is an article on The Athletic today about the player workload, the number of early season injuries and where players are not getting breaks using Saka as an example.
All of our players have had some breaks that's the odd thing. We've rotated twice as much as anybody else

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I was really worried when I saw Pervis starting the Chelsea game ... I thought that game was less important, so RDZ may rest Pervis to keep him fresh for the Villa away.

I actually do not think RDZ is good at squad rotation. The first occation I doubted RDZ's decision was the Forest away last season. I was surprised by the first XI of that game like, "After that 120min!? Really!?" That time I thought RDZ need to accept we may lose some games to rest the key players, or playing fresher players may be a better idea than playing his favorites who are knackered.

Anyway, speedy recovery Pervis ...
I suppose it's a by-product of demanding to win every match. Perhaps there's a lack of prioritisation in there? Did we need to go so strong against Chelsea when literally nobody really cared about that match? No.

The sample size isn't big enough to say whether he's good or bad at it, maybe he's just learning, but there's been a lot of rotation considering we've only played 1 extra game at this stage.

Not a complaint, mind, just an observation. RDZ has loads of credit in the bank to afford him time to sort out this concept

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I suppose it's a by-product of demanding to win every match. Perhaps there's a lack of prioritisation in there? Did we need to go so strong against Chelsea when literally nobody really cared about that match? No.

The sample size isn't big enough to say whether he's good or bad at it, maybe he's just learning, but there's been a lot of rotation considering we've only played 1 extra game at this stage.

Not a complaint, mind, just an observation. RDZ has loads of credit in the bank to afford him time to sort out this concept
I’m not sure that’s true

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Kyle Walker Peters should have been prime target. Can play both ful back positions and is in prime career time.
To a man, my (many) Saints supporting freinds, think he is absolute GASH and always hope he is NOT in their side (in the Championship). :shrug:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
We were certainly linked with full backs, in particular the left back who City also wanted. Just couldn't pull the signings off.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Exactly that and this was my fear with Pervis. He’s looked fatigued the last couple of weeks.

Changes need to be made, there’s just too much football played for the level of intensity these days, talented players are going to get ruined. For a start in this country, I would say all teams playing in Europe shouldn’t be in the League Cup at all.

Back to our squad and Ferguson is another one I worry about the moment, particarly at his age and with his body shape. I would like to see him rested for a bit.
Pretty sure both games Ferguson has started recently, he's been taken off at half-time. I'm not so sure he's properly fit. From outside, the club have been pretty good at managing his workload, but maybe he needs an extended period to recover.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
To a man, my (many) Saints supporting freinds, think he is absolute GASH and always hope he is NOT in their side (in the Championship). :shrug:
Yes, but GASH in their team doesn't mean he would be elsewhere. Andy Robertson relegated with Hull, and so on.

I think he's a good player in a bad team and would definitely have been a good option for us to have instead of old man Milner who, like Steele, probably won't do too much obviously wrong but is a yard too slow and that's a huge gulf at this level.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Yes, but GASH in their team doesn't mean he would be elsewhere. Andy Robertson relegated with Hull, and so on.

I think he's a good player in a bad team and would definitely have been a good option for us to have instead of old man Milner who, like Steele, probably won't do too much obviously wrong but is a yard too slow and that's a huge gulf at this level.
Robertson was great for Hull

Walker Peters, let's say, has yet to realise his potential at Saints

levs

Jul 10, 2017
Feel like we possibly missed an opportunity to bring in Castagne who also would have been very good cover for both fullback positions

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I’m not sure that’s true
Yeah maybe, but I struggle to put the Carabao Cup above the FA Cup, Europa League or Premier League in the hierarchy. If there was one competition we could de-prioritise, it's that one in my opinion. It probably also helps that I don't buy into this whole Chelsea rivalry nonsense either so there's no edge on the game on the same way as there was for others

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here