Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Perfect example of why we have a chance of promotion.

albie_noobs

Jul 25, 2011
Newhaven
When you talk about "selling their best player", I assume you mean Charlie Austin. Austin was sold to QPR on August 1 2013, and so the transfer fee received is not in the 2012-13 accounts.

And who has claimed that they had a "shoestring budget"? Of course a wage bill of 15million is a heck of a lot of money; but when you compare their expenditure (and football performance) with most of the other clubs receiving parachute payments, I think "financially conservative" is an appropriate term. Wolves wage bill was more than double that of Burnley in 12-13, and they were relegated. Bristol City were relegated with a higher wage bill (and without parachute payments). The only club who made a sizeable profit were Blackpool, and look at the state of that club now (they could only name 4 substitutes today, 2 of whom were youth team players).

I know football finances these days have become completely detached from reality, but if you look at Championship clubs over the last couple of seasons, I think by any definition, Burnley would have to be near the top of a list of "best run clubs."

I was talking about Jay Rodriguez, Austin was sold later.

I think we should agree to disagree although their chairman doesn't seem to think they are that well run either....

“Despite the investment, we continue to operate with large losses,” he writes in the programme for today’s Championship clash against Yeovil, the first ever meeting between the two sides.

“For the 2012/13 season our losses will be around £8m, so obviously we need somehow to bridge this gap.

“Some can be bridged by funding from the board and some by player sales; hence the sale of Charlie Austin.

“During the last three seasons, co-chairman John Banaszkiewicz and myself have invested over £10m into the club.

“This is over double any previous investments made by any individual in the club’s history and I am happy to say I have never had a penny of my investment back!”

Garlick is a successful businessman but is small scale in comparison to the billionaires who bankroll Premier League outfits, so Clarets followers should be grateful for his largesse and dedication.

However, the news of those expected losses makes depressing reading for any Burnley fan, and is a sign that despite the teams’ bright start to the campaign, any progress will be hampered by financial constraints.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here