Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Perfect example of why we have a chance of promotion.

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
Yes our squad may not be complete and it may not look very strong, but we do have a new man in charge and if he can get 3/4 more signings before the transfer window shuts then we could have a great chance.

Burnley 2013/2014

Selling Charlie Austin, they were left with Danny Ings and Sam Vokes, neither at the time were proven Championship goal scorers. Burnley didn't go splashing out money on transfers to keep the fans happy, in fact every signing they made last season was on a free with the exception of Barnes.

I don't think anyone at the beginning of August 2013 thought Burnley had a hope in hell finishing in the top 2.

They are a great example of why you do not have to spend big to get out of this league.

We need to have full confidence in Sami, the staff, the players and the club as a whole that they can make this happen. So if we get to January and we're in the bottom 4 that's when we need to panic, not when the season is 2 days away!

:albion2::albion2::albion2:

Wrong forum. We don't allow positive threads here.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
I understand the sentiment, but they did have DEPTH, which is what we lack so badly.

Stockdale
Calderon Greer Dunk Chicksen
Ince
Crofts Stephens
Buckley CMS LuaLua

Ankergren
Bruno Hughes Rea Maksimenko
Nzuzi
Agustein JFC
Fenelon O'Grady March​

Not that badly.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
It is going to be a, 'trying to play good football with what is available and hope for the best', kind of season.

albie_noobs

Jul 25, 2011
Newhaven
You are arguing that Burnley are a poorly run club paying high wages?

I have no idea how well they are run although a quick glance at their ground tells me things aren't that great and yes they pay high wages. Why? do you think 15M a year is low?

scoobiewhite

Jan 29, 2012
Albourne / Brighton
I was wondering why Burnley hadn't been discussed more on the board as this is clearly how we will need to do it....

So who will be our Ings?? The only candidate for a young striker coming almost out of nowhere is Fenlon, but I reckon he'll need at least one instillation season.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I have no idea how well they are run although a quick glance at their ground tells me things aren't that great and yes they pay high wages. Why? do you think 15M a year is low?

In 2012-13 (the latest season for which financial data is available) they had only the 14th highest wage bill (take a look at this thread that [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] started a couple of days ago - Full revenue, wage bill and losses for Championship clubs 2012-13).

So in comparative terms, yes, they paid low wages for the Championship (despite the fact that in that season, they were still receiving parachute payments - an indication to me that they are also well run).

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Stockdale
Calderon Greer Dunk Chicksen
Ince
Crofts Stephens
Buckley CMS LuaLua

Ankergren
Bruno Hughes Rea Maksimenko
Nzuzi
Agustein JFC
Fenelon O'Grady March​

Interesting that you seem to be putting three of our four summer signings in the reserves.................

albie_noobs

Jul 25, 2011
Newhaven
In 2012-13 (the latest season for which financial data is available) they had only the 14th highest wage bill (take a look at this thread that [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] started a couple of days ago - Full revenue, wage bill and losses for Championship clubs 2012-13).

So in comparative terms, yes, they paid low wages for the Championship (despite the fact that in that season, they were still receiving parachute payments - an indication to me that they are also well run).

Average wage spend that year was just over 19M so they were only 3.5 below that. You can't just look at wage spend to decide if they are well run or not though can you. An 8 million loss in the season you're talking about, almost double their projected loss after receiving 48M in parachute payments. Well run?, mmm not sure.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Interesting that you seem to be putting three of our four summer signings in the reserves.................

I've only seen Nzuzi play for us out of those 4. Just an example of how we're not as thin as people think.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Average wage spend that year was just over 19M so they were only 3.5 below that. You can't just look at wage spend to decide if they are well run or not though can you. An 8 million loss in the season you're talking about, almost double their projected loss after receiving 48M in parachute payments. Well run?, mmm not sure.

Burnley are a team that had a lower than average wage bill in a season when they were still receiving parachute payments. The following season they finished 2nd in the table (we will have to wait and see how their wage bill compared with other clubs, but on the face of it they certainly didn't go out and spend big last season). In the current era of stupid football finances, they give every impression of being a financially-conservative club who have made maximium use of the resources available to them.

I simply don't understand what your gripe is with them. Why the hostility? Are you a Blackburn Rovers fan?

tiotom92

Jan 11, 2014
I'm usually optimistic about the Albion's chances but not feeling confident this year about the squad and Sami (not really sure why, maybe he seems to be too much of a gentle giant to be a successful manager?)

However, i would love to be proved wrong and you're right, it's football, anything can happen :albion2: I'll be supporting Sami and the boys all the way.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Like everyone else I have no idea how this season may pan out, which makes it exciting, no? At least this year I know something about the manager, Sami, which is more than I could say about Oscar at the start of last season. Come to that, we didn't know how Gus would get on, it being his first job as manager.
I think it's fair to say that Tony Bloom has proved to be pretty good at choosing managers.
We need a bit of luck like everyone else does. I seem to remember that Burnley had a pretty consistent team, injury wise. Everyone questioned why they wanted Ashley Barnes at the time. Before long he was filling in for either Vokes or Ings and proved a pretty shrewd investment.
They had a bit of luck but also played 2 up front. Maybe you make your own luck in this league?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I get your point but weren't Burnley still receiving parachute payments last year? If so the fairytale may have been overhyped. I'm afraid this manager, just like the last one doesn't inspire me at all. Here's hoping I'm proved wrong.

Whether or not they had parachute payments doesn't alter the facts as stated by the OP. They spent next to nothing of what they did have.

albie_noobs

Jul 25, 2011
Newhaven
Burnley are a team that had a lower than average wage bill in a season when they were still receiving parachute payments. The following season they finished 2nd in the table (we will have to wait and see how their wage bill compared with other clubs, but on the face of it they certainly didn't go out and spend big last season). In the current era of stupid football finances, they give every impression of being a financially-conservative club who have made maximium use of the resources available to them.

I simply don't understand what your gripe is with them. Why the hostility? Are you a Blackburn Rovers fan?

I have no gripe with them and reading back through my posts I'm not sure where the hostility remark comes from. I was merely pointing out the fairytale that they gained promotion by expertly managing a shoestring budget is not all it seems. I also don't think losing 8M after selling their best player and receiving parachute payments could be deemed "financially conservative" but maybe in the current era you might have a point.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I also don't think losing 8M after selling their best player and receiving parachute payments could be deemed "financially conservative" but maybe in the current era you might have a point.

I think they can be considered that when you compare them to teams like Forest, who are seemingly blowing their financial beans in the hope of getting promotion.

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
Every team in this division has a chance of promotion. It is just whether they take it or not by winning games

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I have no gripe with them and reading back through my posts I'm not sure where the hostility remark comes from. I was merely pointing out the fairytale that they gained promotion by expertly managing a shoestring budget is not all it seems. I also don't think losing 8M after selling their best player and receiving parachute payments could be deemed "financially conservative" but maybe in the current era you might have a point.

When you talk about "selling their best player", I assume you mean Charlie Austin. Austin was sold to QPR on August 1 2013, and so the transfer fee received is not in the 2012-13 accounts.

And who has claimed that they had a "shoestring budget"? Of course a wage bill of 15million is a heck of a lot of money; but when you compare their expenditure (and football performance) with most of the other clubs receiving parachute payments, I think "financially conservative" is an appropriate term. Wolves wage bill was more than double that of Burnley in 12-13, and they were relegated. Bristol City were relegated with a higher wage bill (and without parachute payments). The only club who made a sizeable profit were Blackpool, and look at the state of that club now (they could only name 4 substitutes today, 2 of whom were youth team players).

I know football finances these days have become completely detached from reality, but if you look at Championship clubs over the last couple of seasons, I think by any definition, Burnley would have to be near the top of a list of "best run clubs."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here