[Albion] Percy Tau - SIGNED on a 4 year deal - The Lion Returns. RRROOOAAAARRRRR

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
How come Villa are confident they'll get a work permit for this lad from Tanzania ? https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51183381

I think they may have problems - but they have more expertise than me.

They have a fallback as he qualifies for Belgian residency, so they could use that to then apply for citizenship. But that'll take a bit of time.

Anyway, I'm sure they know what they are doing.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Percy not getting in Brugge team these days
He missed 1 match 'for family reasons' hmmm.

Then missed their 2 winter break friendlies.

Then was on the subs bench for the next game.

Not sure what has gone on.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
His current club haven’t even played him in 50% of league and CL minutes. Belgium league is well below PL standard so he’s very unlikely to be good enough to make a difference in the Premier League, and certainly not worth making him the highest paid player at the club.

He's played in 15 of 21 league games. Not sure how many of all those were sub but looks like he got injured on 22 Dec (came off 34 mins) and has missed a few games after.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
He's played in 15 of 21 league games. Not sure how many of all those were sub but looks like he got injured on 22 Dec (came off 34 mins) and has missed a few games after.

Found this online:
Percy Tau has been warned by his Belgian club he will have to prove his fitness if he is to win his place back in the team.

Tau sat out some of the Belgium league leaders’ winter training camp in Qatar over the last weekend‚ missing prestige friendlies against the Dutch duo of PSV Eindhoven and Ajax Amsterdam.

“He is behind in terms of fitness and will have to catch up‚” coach Philippe Clement told reporters at the end of the camp.

“He didn’t participate in all the training and that is unfortunate.

“When fit again‚ he needs to catch up if he is going to be in contention to be picked for our next matches.”

Tau has a series of niggles‚ according to Clement.

“He is a bit overloaded. There are no major problems‚ or not for the coming weeks or months‚ but this is a guy we don’t want to take risks with.”

The 25-year-old Bafana ace last played for Club Brugge just before Christmas‚ missing their Boxing Day league match where they won 4-0 over Zulte Waregem to open up a 10-point lead at the top of the log.

The Brugge coach was pleased with the intensity of the training camp as they now look ahead to the second half of the season in Belgium‚ plus compete in the knockout stages of Uefa Europa League.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
https://www.soccerladuma.co.za/news...n-doubt-as-he-prepares-for-bafana-duty/674629

Percy Tau’s future with Club Brugge has been thrown into doubt with talk in Belgium of a ‘mentality crisis’ for the Bafana Bafana international…
Belgian publication, Het Laatste Nieuws, have reported that the 25-year-old attacker is not likely to extend his stay with Club beyond his current loan period, meaning that he will return to Brighton & Hove Albion at the end of the season when his loan expires.

Tau made a terrific start to life in Europe in Belgium’s second tier with Royale Union Saint-Gilloise in 2018/29, going on to win the Proximus Player of the Season award for his efforts and securing a move into the top-flight for 2019/20.

Now though, with just one Pro League start in 2020 so far, ‘The Lion of Judah’ has fallen down the pecking order under Philippe Clement in recent months, and HLN described him as being ‘undeniably in a form and mentality crisis’.

Work permit complications mean that it will be difficult for Tau to secure the right to play in the English Premier League with Brighton next season, but he is unlikely to be short of suitors for next season should Club opt against extending his time at Jan Breydel Stadium.
Tau is expected to be part of Molefi Ntseki’s Bafana side for the upcoming clashes with São Tomé and Príncipe as he looks to become one of the few South Africans to reach double figures for his country on the goal front.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I have to say I feel very sorry for Tau he clearly is a talented footballer but he's never going to find out how good and all because of his place of birth

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I have to say I feel very sorry for Tau he clearly is a talented footballer but he's never going to find out how good and all because of his place of birth

Well I’d say making the jump from South Africa to a European top division and then playing in the Champions League represents quite a benchmark.

I’d suggest he potentially wouldn’t cut it in the Prem and would likely be sold if a thing such as a transfer market existed.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Will be time to either be looking at extending his contract or selling up I would have thought.
Would have been good for him to spend some time in a blue and white shirt, but not likely to happen.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Tau made a terrific start to life in Europe in Belgium’s second tier with Royale Union Saint-Gilloise in 2018/29, going on to win the Proximus Player of the Season award for his efforts..........

I hope it doesn't take us that long to resume our season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports