Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] PEOPLE FAKING DISABILITY/INJURY ON TRAIN RAMP

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Which they don't do ie the very purpose of this discussion. It should be no great inconvenience to apply for a wristband to get you and your helper an exemption. It would also reduce the stress of the crowd who have to watch obvious cheats stroll down the fast lane. A win-win. It just needs to be monitored properly.
It won't make much difference imho - you will get the very same bellends trying and saying "I forgot my wristband" and the steward letting them through because for £10 ph they are not paid enough to face aggressive bellends. Bellends will be bellends.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I’ve no idea why you think allowing people to take the piss out of disability as well as annoying the law-abiding majority is suddenly not worth confronting. If we don’t call it out it will quickly get worse. I strongly disagree that "there’s nothing you can do about it,"
I agree with @JamieR, why get all stressed and worry about piss takers? If the stewards on the ramp are not doing their jobs properly why should fans call out people in the wrong lane?
Sometimes it’s better to avoid a confrontation as there is always some crank that wants a fight.
Also it would be embarrassing confronting someone with a hidden disability that is entitled to use the lane.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I agree with @JamieR, why get all stressed and worry about piss takers? If the stewards on the ramp are not doing their jobs properly why should fans call out people in the wrong lane?
Sometimes it’s better to avoid a confrontation as there is always some crank that wants a fight.
Also it would be embarrassing confronting someone with a hidden disability that is entitled to use the lane.
All they have to do is show their wristband and it would avoid any embarrassment. That’s the whole idea of the wristband, so that the stewards don’t have that awkward situation of asking what their disability is. That’s already been dealt with by the club when they approve the wristband.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
All they have to do is show their wristband and it would avoid any embarrassment. That’s the whole idea of the wristband, so that the stewards don’t have that awkward situation of asking what their disability is. That’s already been dealt with by the club when they approve the wristband.
My son has a wristband - the system works.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I was talking about fans confronting people in the lane and embarrassment, not stewards.
The stewards should be checking for the wristbands, I know that, I didn’t suggest that the stewards needed to ask about the disability.

The thread is about people allegedly abusing the disability lane, if the stewards are checking for wristbands then they are doing their job.
The point I was trying to make is fans don’t need to get involved trying to police the disability lane….. you said @JamieR was wrong not getting involved…..I’m agreeing with him and disagreeing with you on this point.

Sorry if I didn’t make it clear.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Be careful with that. Under the rules, if you use a blue badge for parking when the badge holder isn't with you, it can be taken off you - or rather, taken off your wife.
I’ve warned her now never to let me go to the supermarket and it’s best she does all that.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I was talking about fans confronting people in the lane and embarrassment, not stewards.
The stewards should be checking for the wristbands, I know that, I didn’t suggest that the stewards needed to ask about the disability.

The thread is about people allegedly abusing the disability lane, if the stewards are checking for wristbands then they are doing their job.
The point I was trying to make is fans don’t need to get involved trying to police the disability lane….. you said @JamieR was wrong not getting involved…..I’m agreeing with him and disagreeing with you on this point.

Sorry if I didn’t make it clear.
It's not "alleged abuse" of the system, it's actual abuse of the system. Or was. I've not joined that queue since mid-last season, but it was happening a lot then and I doubt if it's got any better if it's not being monitored.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Not all disability’s are apparent I could get a badge if I wanted and you would think I’m as able as anyone else.
So they're finally giving out badges to sparkies now then.. 😉

Sue1983

Aug 15, 2018
As I said earlier I have a hidden disability and have a wristband which the club issued to me after they checked I did in fact have a hidden disability. My personal assistant wasn't given a wristband as the are not disabled.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
PUBLIC THANKYOU
Thank you to the guys in Paris Gare du Lyon who were on our delayed train out of Marseille on Friday. We had 30 minutes to transfer over to Paris Gare du Nord, a journey of 25 minutes at least, and still go through passport and security. One was in a wheel chair and they spotted us. "Stick with us" they said "and we'll get the train". I grabbed the guys crutches and off we went, guy in wheelchair being pushed by another guy, followed by a guy carrying crutches (me) followed by a 4th guy who has trouble walking and forgot his stick. Long long line for a taxi we barged through and were waved straight into a converted taxi. At the Eurostar terminal it was special treatment all the way with me dragging along, still carrying the crutches shouting "I'm with them". Priority lifts, barriers moved, special passport and security lines and being asked do we need a ramp for the train. Onto the Eurostar with seconds to spare, except just before that we lost them as we were in the middle and I last saw them dissapearing to the back, and I still had their crutches. We did meet up again on the train but can I say again, Thanks as we'd never have made the conection without you.
Let me get this straight, there was a guy in a wheelchair being pushed by another guy.
A third guy that had trouble walking but forgot his stick was being followed by you carrying some crutches ??? What am I missing?:lolol:

Curryisgreat

Dec 9, 2010
Let me get this straight, there was a guy in a wheelchair being pushed by another guy.
A third guy that had trouble walking but forgot his stick was being followed by you carrying some crutches ??? What am I missing?:lolol:
For some reason reading that made me think of Joey Deacon and his helpers on Blue Peter!

Sorry, I’m a bad, bad man!

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
It won't make much difference imho - you will get the very same bellends trying and saying "I forgot my wristband" and the steward letting them through because for £10 ph they are not paid enough to face aggressive bellends. Bellends will be bellends.
Forgot your wristband? No problem at all, can I just take your fan number/see your ticket please?

Pretty easy to resolve. Too many selfish buggers around, they are increasing. Thatchers children's children having children. Not a surprise.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I can understand the logic of people staying out of it but if stewards aren’t doing their job then what’s the point of them ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Forgot your wristband? No problem at all, can I just take your fan number/see your ticket please?

Pretty easy to resolve. Too many selfish buggers around, they are increasing. Thatchers children's children having children. Not a surprise.
Get some proper flat-nosed black-bomber—jacketed security guys as well. This will stop any funny business.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Fans should stay out of it and stewards should steward. Fans don't know if people with less obvious issues have permission to use the side ramps. Fans are not the best judges and often not very nice. 2 Examples:

My wife had a foot operation. We used P & R and , like the club suggested, asked a steward to take the two of us to the front of the queue as she struggled to stand and queue despite her crutch, plus was afraid of her foot being trod on. The steward took us to the front of the queue after the match and our own fans booed Mrs Earle to the bus and shouted that I should queue like the rest rather than accompany her. Pretty toxic and unpleasant..

My wife now has a knee problem causing chronic pain. The match before Liverpool, we caught the train as a party of four. We caught the train back, but my wife was in so much pain from her knee, we asked if we could use the ramp rather than queue. My wife was limping and holding my arm, my son and 9yr old grandson accompanied us. We got some looks, but it allowed my wife to get to the bottom and sit to wait for the train. A few days later last week, she was advised that her knee is virtually bone grinding on bone and she has to have a knee replacement as soon as possible. We have no wristbands or badges or whatever. Imagine the stress if angry fans had confronted her.

I understand the frustration in a long slow queue, but the system is designed to help the less able follow their team. Stewards simply need to manage the system properly. Fans should not get involved. Genuine reasons to use the ramp may be hidden.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Just imagine if we had a half decent railway service? People just wouldn't have the time to judge who was and who wasn't a worthy cause to get to the front of the queue and before anyone starts quoting me line capacities, I am all ears once they stop sending down four car trains.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
We have no wristbands or badges or whatever. Imagine the stress if angry fans had confronted her.
Sorry to hear about the pain your wife is in - I completely sympathise as that is the way my knees are going and hope she gets her op soon (I'm too young to get one apparently!). Get in touch with the club and ask about a wristband - you don't need to have a blue badge to ask for one.

Jul 7, 2003
Sorry to hear about the pain your wife is in - I completely sympathise as that is the way my knees are going and hope she gets her op soon (I'm too young to get one apparently!). Get in touch with the club and ask about a wristband - you don't need to have a blue badge to ask for one.
@Super Steve Earle - I had a PKR at 46 because of the same issue - bone grinding with a hole in the cartilage. Post op I used Seagull Travel to get to games while I was still on sticks and they were great in reserving one of the front aisle seats for me. @Herr Tubthumper kindly let me use his 1901 for a couple of games and after that, the club were really great in temporarily moving me and my son from our usual WSU seats to the ESU where we could use the lift. Hope your wife gets her op soon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here