Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] PEOPLE FAKING DISABILITY/INJURY ON TRAIN RAMP

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I often see one disabled member and their extremely large entourage make sure they safely make their way walking down the ramps.

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
My son uses it. He's got about nine inches of one leg missing. Without asking him to adjust his trousers, how would you know whether he's a queue skipper or not?
That is my point, either people self select which allows some nasty idiots to jump the queue or you need to verify that people have a valid reason for using it.

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
My son uses it. He's got about nine inches of one leg missing. Without asking him to adjust his trousers, how would you know whether he's a queue skipper or not?
I’m sure that he is perfectly entitled to use it, but surely the only reason why he is using it is to skip the queue? Or would he be very uncomfortable if he had to queue?

I’m sure that he is perfectly entitled to use it, but surely the only reason why he is using it is to skip the queue? Or would he be very uncomfortable if he had to queue?
Think that through a bit. He is standing on a stump with an uncomfortable prosthetic attached, and is also likely to fall over if jostled in a queue full of impatient bipeds . Would you like to queue on one leg for any extended period of time?

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
My wife has a blue badge so we always park in the disabled bays. On Friday I parked in one outside Morrisons on my own without thinking …. I realised what I had done when I came out and had to do a lopsided walk back to the motor.
Be careful with that. Under the rules, if you use a blue badge for parking when the badge holder isn't with you, it can be taken off you - or rather, taken off your wife.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The problem with the “fast lane” is that it is self selecting rather than being managed - what should the club do? Ask for evidence of disability before entry?

Probably just get rid of it tbh, I’ve only ever seen it been used by people to skip the queue.
I’ve always thought the same. Taking out a third of the capacity of that ramp is ridiculous and unsafe, particularly when everyone bunches up on the bridge. The priority should be getting people away from the ground as quickly and safely as possible. That in itself will help the vulnerable.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So that's nailed on that you were one of those on social media complaining about Fiona Bruce?

No.

And congratulations for derailing the issue away from a topic that I'm sure other fans find bloody annoying.

No, people are discussing the issue you wanted to raise (one I actually agree with) just fine. There was no reason to mention the stewards race and it comes across as racial stereotyping, so I said so. If you can't see that, fine.

I also note other people commenting don't agree with your dissection of my language.

Yeah you've got GT49er and wellquickwoody agreeing with you on a race issue, so good job there.

You can continue with the topic you wanted to discuss if you like, or you criticise me for pointing out your poor choice of words. Your choice.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Daft op imho. The disabled lane relies on people being honest and following the rules. It won't work if you have to be club-verified as "disabled enough" nor will it work if more than the odd bellend use it when they shouldn't. Unfortunately, the UK's "bellend quotient" has increased recently but really the only thing is to suck it up and rely on the majority being decent people (or what? kick off continually or bring in extra stringent checks of disabledness?). Seems there might be a few on here who might kick away a blind man's stick. I was shocked to hear how often this happens to the "partially" rather than full-on blind. Basically, be a decent person and don't get too annoyed by the bellends, c'est la vie.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Daft op imho. The disabled lane relies on people being honest and following the rules. It won't work if you have to be club-verified as "disabled enough" nor will it work if more than the odd bellend use it when they shouldn't. Unfortunately, the UK's "bellend quotient" has increased recently but really the only thing is to suck it up and rely on the majority being decent people (or what? kick off continually or bring in extra stringent checks of disabledness?). Seems there might be a few on here who might kick away a blind man's stick. I was shocked to hear how often this happens to the "partially" rather than full-on blind. Basically, be a decent person and don't get too annoyed by the bellends, c'est la vie.
Which they don't do ie the very purpose of this discussion. It should be no great inconvenience to apply for a wristband to get you and your helper an exemption. It would also reduce the stress of the crowd who have to watch obvious cheats stroll down the fast lane. A win-win. It just needs to be monitored properly.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Which they don't do ie the very purpose of this discussion. It should be no great inconvenience to apply for a wristband to get you and your helper an exemption. It would also reduce the stress of the crowd who have to watch obvious cheats stroll down the fast lane. A win-win. It just needs to be monitored properly.
That’s a system recently introduced by Tranmere Rovers and which allows vulnerable people to ask for help without having to explain too much. As you say it could be introduced by the Albion if they wish to continue with the middle lane.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Albion used to use the wristband system for people with disabilities a year or two back when I last punished myself on that bridge. Have they stopped using it?

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
Albion used to use the wristband system for people with disabilities a year or two back when I last punished myself on that bridge. Have they stopped using it?
A number of people using the ramp yesterday had yellow wristbands. One of the stewards halfway down the ramp was checking them, but he seemingly allowed through anyone without one.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Be careful with that. Under the rules, if you use a blue badge for parking when the badge holder isn't with you, it can be taken off you - or rather, taken off your wife.
I realised that after. Anyway my limps gone now.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Isn’t this the sort of things the FAB could take forward with the club?

Not just the fast lane but the obvious organisation of specific queues for specific destinations, avoiding half empty trains leaving Falmer?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here