Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Penalty stats 2011-2014

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
True, maybe missing the goal is less common than I was imagining. It probably isn't fair to have expected it in 16 attempts against us if we've only done it once in 21 of our own.

Ignoring penalty shoot-outs, as while they are important it isn't quite the same, what penalties have been missed against us in the last TEN years? Apart from Ankergren at Portsmouth and Brezovan at Exeter, I'm struggling...

Seems 2009-10 was a vintage year for us.

2010-11 - none.
2009-10 - Jordan Rhodes (Hudds v Smith), Marcus Stewart (Exeter v Brezovan); Pawel Abbot (Oldham v Brezovan)

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
:ohmy:

Smith heroics in vain
Ayr goalkeeper Graeme Smith saved two penalties but could not prevent his side from losing 1-0 to play-off hopefuls Arbroath

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I still think my method of how to save penalties was the best back in my Portslade Dolphins AFC Under 14 days.

It was quite complex: Dive to the left. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

I saved 10/12 penalties in one season. True story. Even when the opposition knew I was going to go left, they always though that this might be the one time I choose to go right. Nope. Left. Bam. Save.

PIG may as well give my method a go. All those dvds he watches aren't doing much good are they. I think I'll write to him on Facebook.

seagullmouse

Jan 3, 2011
Missing penalties sounds a lot like the clinical we keep hearing about. What makes a side bad at penalties and less clinical?

Some ideas
1 - Are we too 'nice' somehow? How do other nice teams compare, e.g. Norwich, Southampton
2 - Are we just on a bad run and that just adds to the pressure on out players when taking penalties
3 - According to the standard bell curve - some teams will miss more than others. We are just the unlucky ones
4 - Our players aren't as talented as others at taking penalties
5 - We don't practice penalties enough

My guess is a combination of 2 and 3.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Graeme Smith saved one at Huddersfield, I think, moments after coming on when Kuipers was sent off for the foul that conceded the spot kick. Instant hero.

I forget what happened in the rest of that game, I've blocked it from my mind :jester:

BBC site suggests that he DID indeed save one :clap2: (but not the one conceded by Kuipers).

Huddersfield 7 - 1 Brighton

Huddersfield took full advantage after Brighton had their goalkeeper sent off.

Antony Kay headed Huddersfield ahead but Liam Dickinson's shot levelled, only for Peter Clarke's close-range finish to restore the home side's lead.

Lee Novak scored from the spot after he was fouled by Michel Kuipers, who was sent off, then substitute keeper Graeme Smith saved Jordan Rhodes' penalty.

Rhodes set up Gary Roberts, Daniel Drinkwater hit home and Theo Robinson's late double completed the rout.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_div_2/8205231.stm

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Something doesn't add up...

This site - http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/championship/elfmeter-detail/wettbewerb_GB2.html - suggests.

2013-14

Us - Scored: 3; Missed: 1
Them - Scored: 3; Missed: 0

2012-13

Us - Scored: 8; Missed: 4
Them - Scored: 6; Missed: 0

2011-12

Us - Scored: 3; Missed: 2
Them - Scored: 6; Missed: 1

Total

Us - Scored: 14; Missed: 7 (66%)
Them - Scored: 15; Missed: 1 (94%)

The only opposition miss was Liam Lawrence for Pompey (#twats) in the 96th minute of our 1-0 win at Fratton Park on the 13th August 2011. Ankergren was in goal and the penalty was missed. Since then, the opposition have scored 15 consecutive penalties against us.

Albion's penalty takers over this period:

Lopez - Scored: 5; Missed: 0 (100%)
Dobbie - Scored: 1; Missed: 0 (100%)
Vicente - Scored: 1; Missed: 0 (100%)
CMS - Scored: 2; Missed: 1 (66%)
Barnes - Scored: 5; Missed: 3 (63%)
Harley - Scored: 0; Missed: 1 (0%)
Ulloa - Scored: 0; Missed: 2 (0%)

League matches only...

2013-14
For
Scored 3 (Barnes 2, Lopez 1)
Missed 1 (Ulloa 1)

Against
Scored 3

2012-13
For
Scored 8 (Lopez 4, CMS 2, Vicente 1, Dobbie 1)
Missed 4 (Barnes 2, CMS 1, Ulloa 1)

Against
Scored 7

2011-12
For
Scored 3 (Barnes 3)
Missed 2 (Barnes 1, Harley 1)

Against
Scored 6
Missed 1

Summary
For
Scored 14 (Barnes 5, Lopez 5, CMS 2, Vicente 1, Dobbie 1)
Missed 6 (Barnes 3, Ulloa 2, CMS 1, Harley 1)

Against
Scored 15
Missed 1

You can add that Barnes scored two penalties (missed none) in the League Cup in 2011, and that Liverpool (Suarez) missed one in the FA Cup in 2012.

These can't be right unless Bozza's one is league only aswell...

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Be interested to know which team has had the most penalties against us.

I've seen us play Palace a few times and they seem to have a nasty tendency to be awarded them. Let's see: Martin at Selhurst in the 1-1 draw in 2011-12. Two (Murray, Garvan) in the 3-0 last season. Two (Freedman & Johnson) in the 5-0. Four (three missed :facepalm:) in 1989.

It's a CONSPIRACY...

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Paul Cooper of Ipswich was always the penalty king. I remember us getting one at the Goldstone against him and everyone was full of the usual pre-penalty excitement. I pointed out that it was Cooper in goal so I wasn't that confident. Sure enough, he saved it. Then the referee decided he'd moved off his line & ordered a re-take, which we scored :clap:

I dimly remember some Ipswich Town v Man Utd game from the early 1980s that was 6-0, with Gary Bailey (rather than Paul Cooper) saving three penalties? I remember at the time being at a cold Leylands Park watching the Hillians play out some forgettable football, with Tommy Austin (?) providing a little bit of sparkle on the wing.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Cooper saved 8 out of 10 he faced in the 1979-80 season, according to Wikipedia.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Cooper saved 8 out of 10 he faced in the 1979-80 season, according to Wikipedia.

My Great (great?) UNCLE holds the football league record, for consecutive penalty saves. Five, in 1947/48

For BRIGHTON :clap2:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here