Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Penalty stats 2011-2014

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
15 consecutive penalties scored against us and in that time we've scored 14 and missed 7. That's appalling really, cursed.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
So are we hopeless at taking them, are our goalkeepers useless at saving them, or both? I've no idea what the typical penalty conversion rate across the division/country is, but I'd be interested if anyone has the answer.

I THINK I recall reading somewhere, that the average conversion rate is 72%, which if correct, means that we are actually not far below average.

Doesn't explain our opponents record though.

FIFTEEN in a row, is ridiculous.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Kusz's career penalty stats are pretty appalling I think. Not a penalty keeper, sadly the one area where Brez is FAR stronger than him and if we had a sub left to make in the 120th min of a wembley playoff final, I would make that one, no question.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You want Lopez on the pitch when we get a penalty. I think we knew that already though...

Lopez - Scored: 5; Missed: 0 (100%)
Dobbie - Scored: 1; Missed: 0 (100%)
Vicente - Scored: 1; Missed: 0 (100%)
CMS - Scored: 2; Missed: 1 (66%)
Barnes - Scored: 5; Missed: 3 (63%)
Harley - Scored: 0; Missed: 1 (0%)
Ulloa - Scored: 0; Missed: 2 (0%)

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
That sounds about right to me. We've only really had one natural taker (Lopez) in the last three years, so to be a bit below average on taking them is to be expected.

But we are seriously inept at saving them, and why does nobody EVER miss the target against us? That's probably our only chance of a 'save'.

Now I think of it, as remarkable as he was, the late, great Michel was also a bit turd at saving penalties. I don't expect anyone to know the answer, but we may well have gone FIFTEEN YEARS with so few saved penalties that you could count them on one hand!

Michel saved a vital one in a penalty shoot-out v Manchester City. Yeah, I know it's a bit different, but it still counted.

I think in all the time-frame we're on about (since Aug 2011), Ulloa was the first to miss the goal. The rest were saved, if I recall correctly.

I say 'miss the goal', I meant of course 'miss the stadium'.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Now I think of it, as remarkable as he was, the late, great Michel was also a bit turd at saving penalties. I don't expect anyone to know the answer, but we may well have gone FIFTEEN YEARS with so few saved penalties that you could count them on one hand!

Graeme Smith must have saved a few?

:jester:

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I loved that chant we used to sing

"PENALTIES, PENALTIES, WE'RE THE FAMOUS BRIGHTON AND HOVE ALBION AND WE'RE SHIT AT PENALTIES"

(can't remember where we were, but I think it was in our Championship winning season so we didn't really care.)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I loved that chant we used to sing

"PENALTIES, PENALTIES, WE'RE THE FAMOUS BRIGHTON AND HOVE ALBION AND WE'RE SHIT AT PENALTIES"

(can't remember where we were, but I think it was in our Championship winning season so we didn't really care.)

It was. Even when we were winning every week, we had a shocking run of them. Murray missed a few, Barnes at Brentford, Bennett home to FCUM, Wood at St.Mary's. Dicker scored one AND missed one in the same match, I think.

Rubbish!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think in all the time-frame we're on about (since Aug 2011), Ulloa was the first to miss the goal. The rest were saved, if I recall correctly.

I say 'miss the goal', I meant of course 'miss the stadium'.

This is true too. I think the last player to actually miss the goal (stadium) from the spot for us was one of the Argentinians (Baz or Battipiedi) in a shoot out v Woking? Possibly? And it wasn't in match play so I'm not really counting it.

Our players- until Saturday at least- seem to be gently wafting penalties delicately towards the grateful arms of waiting goalkeepers rather than spanging them into orbit.

I've always found it a curiosity that it's not necessarily the best goalkeepers who have a good record of saving them. It's frequently the slightly erratic ones. Peter Shilton never used to save them for England but the flappy, flair-mongering Latino keepers often did against us. I have a feeling Brezovan's penalty record is quite good- I believe he saved two on his Swindon debut, years ago.

Paul Cooper of Ipswich was always the penalty king. I remember us getting one at the Goldstone against him and everyone was full of the usual pre-penalty excitement. I pointed out that it was Cooper in goal so I wasn't that confident. Sure enough, he saved it. Then the referee decided he'd moved off his line & ordered a re-take, which we scored :clap:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Graeme Smith must have saved a few?

:jester:

Graeme Smith saved one at Huddersfield, I think, moments after coming on when Kuipers was sent off for the foul that conceded the spot kick. Instant hero.

I forget what happened in the rest of that game, I've blocked it from my mind :jester:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I bet it is some joker like Smith or Ross Flitney who managed a save, if indeed ANYONE has, because I can't remember any of our more regular goalkeepers doing it.

Yep, Smith did, see above.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here