• Penalty

Votes: 26 9.7%
  • Nah

Votes: 241 90.3%

• Total voters

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Foul continues into area, stone bonker pen. It is actually where VAR works, just as it did last week. Gained a point, lost a point. Move on.

There was no continuation of the foul. Their player dived up into the air, flicked his legs up to get more contact with March who by that time had his back to him and was falling over. Any further contact after the initial foul has initiated by the attacking player.

The correct VAR decision should have been: foul outside the box, free kick to SFC. Yellow card to the attacker for cheating.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I thought at half time - the referee will even things up. It so often happens now with VAR. I'm so sick of it.

I'm done tonight. Can feel heartburn and chest pains coming on. Is it worth getting so angry over football with what the world has been through this year? :down:

Yes. Precisely because of the way the world is, it's important to care about something else. We need to feel this shit to know we are alive!

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
This. I thought March was lucky real time and once went to VAR, gave up hope. Think we need to accept it was the right decision and start to think about why Southampton are 5th and we are facing relegation scrap.
What? How is it the right decision? If the contact (foul) is outside the box, it's not a pen is it?

Am I missing something?

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
I thought that rule was, for example, for things like shirt tugging.

No, rules do not differentiate. It is VAR that make difference. Old days we would say that was lucky, would stare at dodgy replay and agree with pundits that it was just outside and everyone happy. But it was never the rules of the game, just the way they were interpreted.

And in those days, doubtful that W-P would have been penalised for handball, but of course we bank that one....

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
There was no continuation of the foul. Their player dived up into the air, flicked his legs up to get more contact with March who by that time had his back to him and was falling over. Any further contact after the initial foul has initiated by the attacking player.

The correct VAR decision should have been: foul outside the box, free kick to SFC. Yellow card to the attacker for cheating.

Very many neutrals have tweeted the same thing this evening.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Genuine question - for a foul, is it the point of contact that counts? or is it the position of the attacking player, i.e. the same criteria that is used for an offside. If its the latter, it is a penalty as t-shirt line on the arm is in the area.

I'm sure for the Lalllana/Kane one a while back, that was the argument given.

To answer my own question, it is the point of contact that counts, so wrong decision.

I don't buy this 'foul continues into the box' argument, if the foul is committed outside the box it must surely stop there and then.

Anyway, Danny Welbeck's last week was never a penalty either, so these things even out.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Yes. Precisely because of the way the world is, it's important to care about something else. We need to feel this shit to know we are alive!

I care about snooker (Trump 9-10 Robertson was one of the best matches I've ever watched last night). Doesn't put stress on my organs though. This shouldn't be putting my blood pressure through the roof. Just so frustrated mate.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
This. I thought March was lucky real time and once went to VAR, gave up hope. Think we need to accept it was the right decision and start to think about why Southampton are 5th and we are facing relegation scrap.

Seriously? The contact was made outside the box, the follow on was their player kicking his leg back out.

How are we talking more about referring decisions now than football.

2 minutes + waiting to see if it was a pen before it was taken pisses me off just as much.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Foul continues into area, stone bonker pen. It is actually where VAR works, just as it did last week. Gained a point, lost a point. Move on.

You can’t tell if the foul continued into the area. You can’t tell at all. So it may have been a pen, it may not, but it isn’t clear and obvious.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
I am completely lost on the rules now and don’t know what is or isn’t a foul anymore, let alone a penaltyI Therefore I can’t vote!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here