Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Pedestrian jailed for manslaughter

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Sorry Stat Brother as this is your domain, but I felt very strongly about this.

So many replies to this, blaming the cyclist! For the benefit of further posts, it was a shared pathway as stated by the judge.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
This doesn’t have to be a culture wars cyclists versus everyone else thread. Simple fact is we all have to share space and co-exist. It was clearly not the cyclist’s fault but what was his plan if he encountered a less able pedestrian than the woman found guilty ? Not everybody is able to quickly step to one side when confronted by a cyclist coming towards them on the pavement.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This doesn’t have to be a culture wars cyclists versus everyone else thread. Simple fact is we all have to share space and co-exist. It was clearly not the cyclist’s fault but what was his plan if he encountered a less able pedestrian than the woman found guilty ? Not everybody is able to quickly step to one side when confronted by a cyclist coming towards them on the pavement.
She (the cyclist) was a 77 year old retired midwife. The pavement was 2.4 metres wide.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Absolutely!

Judging by that video the pedestrian was walking on the bit of pavement nearest the road and seems to be gesturing to the lady cyclist on her (20 inch wheel?) bike to get on the road…..it’s a totally tragic and unnecessary loss of life

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Totally the wrong judgement in my view.. these ruddy shared pathways where you have to run the gauntlet of cyclists are just inviting accidents to happen. If she hadn’t reacted and the cyclist hurt her , would the cyclist be prosecuted?
I doubt this lady who herself suffers cerebral palsey could foresee the cyclist being run over.
Surely if you are cycling on a pavement and a pedestrian is in front of you , why not just stop? If you can’t stop then you are going too fast.
I hope her appeal succeeds

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
I've just seen this which is worth reading.

In particular ...

Investigating officer Det Sgt Mark Dollard said that following the sentencing he had seen comments which were "not helpful to anyone".

And re the full CCTC footage available to the police ...

"In all honesty it's horrific and not appropriate for wider release to the public, but, if it were, then I think a lot of the arguments in relation to appropriate responses would be null and void."

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Totally the wrong judgement in my view.. these ruddy shared pathways where you have to run the gauntlet of cyclists are just inviting accidents to happen. If she hadn’t reacted and the cyclist hurt her , would the cyclist be prosecuted?
I doubt this lady who herself suffers cerebral palsey could foresee the cyclist being run over.
Surely if you are cycling on a pavement and a pedestrian is in front of you , why not just stop? If you can’t stop then you are going too fast.
I wouldn’t stop on a shared pathway just because their was a pedestrian on it….slow down yes

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
She (the cyclist) was a 77 year old retired midwife. The pavement was 2.4 metres wide.
Views like the one you are responding to are the cause of such horrible events. Normalising murder/manslaighter because a cyclist was involved. Unbelievable.

Perhaps he read that the pedestrian may have had autism, hence leaping to their defence.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Is diving over a pedestrian crossing the road when I do not believe it should be their right of way ok? Will my appeal be supported if I did that?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I wouldn’t stop on a shared pathway just because their was a pedestrian on it….slow down yes
As a pedestrian, I stop when a cyclist is approaching because it is easier for me to stop and turn sideways than for a cyclist to brake. On Brighton Road, by the bus stop, a cycle path ends and becomes a shared pathway, and a lot narrower than the one shown in the video, so used to cyclists coming past.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I've just seen this which is worth reading.

In particular ...

Investigating officer Det Sgt Mark Dollard said that following the sentencing he had seen comments which were "not helpful to anyone".

And re the full CCTC footage available to the police ...

"In all honesty it's horrific and not appropriate for wider release to the public, but, if it were, then I think a lot of the arguments in relation to appropriate responses would be null and void."
True. It also says there is no evidence it was/is a shared cycleway and that a Labour county councilor and disability campaigner had saught clarification. All a bit confusing for pedestrians and cyclists alike.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
True. It also says there is no evidence it was/is a shared cycleway and that a Labour county councilor and disability campaigner had saught clarification. All a bit confusing for pedestrians and cyclists alike.
Confusing for sure (cyclists were known to use it) …the judge said it was in their summing up, wonder what they based it on

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here