Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Peaky Blinders, BBC 2, your thoughts ?

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Only in PB'S can one man be threatened with a gun in 1920's Britain 3 times a week and not get shot. Usual mix of thumping music, thumping fights and digitally re-mumbled dialogue with some extreme violence thrown in. I wonder what the Americans would make of it ?

Serious question. If you don't like it, why do you watch it?

I can't stand the Jeremy Kyle show. A lot of people do.... so, I leave it.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
After 2 episodes of the “ gritty “ docu-drama the series is drifting in to familiar territory. Our anti-hero Tommy Shelby, effective leader of the Peaky Blinders has started his softening up procedure. Although tough as nails he has shown the worrying signs of being romantically attracted to Grace the undercover agent opf Chief Inspector Chester Campbell. Campbell in his way, has started his downhill metamorphosis from firebrand protestant upholder of the law.

Expect Tommy to romance and pursue Grace, with good grace rather than just take what he wants. Tommy will want this to be pure and and that Grace wants him for the misunderstood ne’er do well rather than a ruthless gangster. Expect Chester to betray his values in order to get the result he wants.

Therein lies the story, Tommy turns nice, Chester turns little better than the gangster he is chasing. Grace will at some time, betray Chester for the rough diamond Tommy. In between there will be lots of menace in the dialogue, much of this whispered for attempted gravitas. In fact it is hard to pick up what is being said as the two main lead’s volume and accent wobbles and transmutes.

I’m finding Tommy’s accent particularly annoying, sometimes it is almost a gritty Our Friends in the North and others it’s a jovial comedy Brummie. It’s like trying to feel threatened by Noddy Holder, it just doesn’t scare. And as for the family’s trademark, razorblade enhanced flat caps, when used in slo-mo against some Tinkers, my mind instantly jumped to The Goodie’s and Ecky Thump. I really expected Tommy to administer the Coup de Grace with a stocky Black Pudding pulled from his jacket. Still, it is a brave attempt to weave drama and history together and at least it is not yet another challenge/voting prog.

That's odd, the whole series finished here about a month ago (on Foxtel's BBC First channel, I didn't realise that meant before BBC!). I rather enjoyed it and found myself adopting a cod Brummie accent a lot which was only excaserbated by that awesome ice bucket challenge Brummie toddler video. Back to Peaky Blinders, I must say I found Benjamin Zephaniah's role unnecessay and confusing.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
:blush:
That's odd, the whole series finished here about a month ago (on Foxtel's BBC First channel, I didn't realise that meant before BBC!). I rather enjoyed it and found myself adopting a cod Brummie accent a lot which was only excaserbated by that awesome ice bucket challenge Brummie toddler video. Back to Peaky Blinders, I must say I found Benjamin Zephaniah's role unnecessay and confusing.

Ah, read the whole thread now and realise I am way off the mark here...... Please ignore me, if I could remove my post I would. I look forward to series 2 here at some stage in the future.....:blush:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Serious question. If you don't like it, why do you watch it?

I can't stand the Jeremy Kyle show. A lot of people do.... so, I leave it.

Are you in a long term relationship ? if so you will understand that along with Downton,X and Strictly a man has to suffer for said relationship.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Are you in a long term relationship ? if so you will understand that along with Downton,X and Strictly a man has to suffer for said relationship.

Ah.. touché.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Just watched S1 and S2 (due to inability to move) in 3 days!!

Good TV, great music and thoroughly enjoyable. A few criticisms and will need to watch again but wasn't his horse in The Derby as a filly?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
My favourite current TV series, shame it's finished :down:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
After 2 episodes of the “ gritty “ docu-drama the series is drifting in to familiar territory. Our anti-hero Tommy Shelby, effective leader of the Peaky Blinders has started his softening up procedure. Although tough as nails he has shown the worrying signs of being romantically attracted to Grace the undercover agent opf Chief Inspector Chester Campbell. Campbell in his way, has started his downhill metamorphosis from firebrand protestant upholder of the law.

Expect Tommy to romance and pursue Grace, with good grace rather than just take what he wants. Tommy will want this to be pure and and that Grace wants him for the misunderstood ne’er do well rather than a ruthless gangster. Expect Chester to betray his values in order to get the result he wants.

Therein lies the story, Tommy turns nice, Chester turns little better than the gangster he is chasing. Grace will at some time, betray Chester for the rough diamond Tommy. In between there will be lots of menace in the dialogue, much of this whispered for attempted gravitas. In fact it is hard to pick up what is being said as the two main lead’s volume and accent wobbles and transmutes.

I’m finding Tommy’s accent particularly annoying, sometimes it is almost a gritty Our Friends in the North and others it’s a jovial comedy Brummie. It’s like trying to feel threatened by Noddy Holder, it just doesn’t scare. And as for the family’s trademark, razorblade enhanced flat caps, when used in slo-mo against some Tinkers, my mind instantly jumped to The Goodie’s and Ecky Thump. I really expected Tommy to administer the Coup de Grace with a stocky Black Pudding pulled from his jacket. Still, it is a brave attempt to weave drama and history together and at least it is not yet another challenge/voting prog.

It's not a docu drama. It's a drama. There is no documentary in it whatsoever.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's not a docu drama. It's a drama. There is no documentary in it whatsoever.

The puff for the first series mentioned it was based on a real life gang of thugs called ...... "The Peaky Blinders " that existed in Birmingham, yes, just after the first World War. So it started with a small degree of factual accuracy, admittedly that has been left far behind now. Anything else you care to disagree with ?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The puff for the first series mentioned it was based on a real life gang of thugs called ...... "The Peaky Blinders " that existed in Birmingham, yes, just after the first World War. So it started with a small degree of factual accuracy, admittedly that has been left far behind now. Anything else you care to disagree with ?

Yes, it's based on fact. No, it's not a documentary. It's a drama. A docu-drama is something else entirely. Anything else you'd care to get wrong?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Really enjoyed Peaky Blinders especially that last episode which was superb.

Yes the accents are all over the place, No the Artic Monkeys and Polly Harvey weren't around just after the war to record the sound track and it's as histrocally accurate as Eastenders is about as realistic a portrayal of life in London but there has been nothing better on telly this year, certainly made in the UK.

The real question is as follows though. Which is best?

(a) Grace
(b) The secretary
(c) The race horse trainer.

(c) for me. Every day of the week.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Yes, it's based on fact. No, it's not a documentary. It's a drama. A docu-drama is something else entirely. Anything else you'd care to get wrong?

In order to prevent any further misdiagnosis of future tv series could you please explain wholly the difference. I can see you have time on your hands today and that it is my turn to be on the receiving end of one of your regular punctilious dissensions. No rush, I will check back later.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Really enjoyed Peaky Blinders especially that last episode which was superb.

Yes the accents are all over the place, No the Artic Monkeys and Polly Harvey weren't around just after the war to record the sound track and it's as histrocally accurate as Eastenders is about as realistic a portrayal of life in London but there has been nothing better on telly this year, certainly made in the UK.

The real question is as follows though. Which is best?

(a) Grace
(b) The secretary
(c) The race horse trainer.

(c) for me. Every day of the week.

C, c and c is the correct answer :thumbsup: I'd like to personally correct her on this 'fillies in The Derby' question

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

The "Peaky Blinders" gang did exist but I think they were about 20 years earlier.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The "Peaky Blinders" gang did exist but I think they were about 20 years earlier.

I thought there was some connection with the book Brighton Rock and Peaky Blinders?

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I thought there was some connection with the book Brighton Rock and Peaky Blinders?

A quick look at wiki. We could both be right. I didn't know about the Brighton Rock connection but the racetrack connection makes sense.

The Peaky Blinders were a criminal gang based in Birmingham, England, in the late 19th century and, to a lesser extent, in the early 20th century. They were one of the urban youth gangs in the era, which were among the earliest of modern street subcultures.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here