Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Peaky Blinders, BBC 2, your thoughts ?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Yeah, I've watched the first two episodes, trying to like it. The modern soundtrack jars a bit, and some of the writing is shocking with the characters explaining what's going on the whole time like an edition of Blue Peter. It's not a classic but I've seen worse and I'll probably stick with it. It scores a Brownie point by NOT showing "what happens next week" at the end of each episode. I HATE that!
Are people still with it...?

The missing machine gun will presumably see some action next week.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I missed a couple of weeks episodes but its fairly simple to keep up with. Surprised it took so long for Grace to get planted.

My only grumble is that fact that a lot of the dialogue is so mumbled it is indecipherable to the extent that I had to put the subtitles on. The machine gun, I am sure will be unwrapped for the finale as Tommy Shelby is beset by enemies on all sides. Expect a Scarface type assault by the aggrieved IRA men.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I haven't seen this but, living near Brum, this has been discussed at my workplace. The general feedback seems to be that it is very enjoyable to watch, but very historically inaccurate.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Just watched this on catch-up.

Visually appealing nonsense.
But the accents ....... torture. Why didn't someone say something to the actress playing the mother of the family? The rest are poor but her accent was memorably bad.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I did wonder whether or not the accents were not too well done so as to keep them understandable for the American market as visually it looked the sort of show which could be sold abroad quite easily.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I did wonder whether or not the accents were not too well done so as to keep them understandable for the American market as visually it looked the sort of show which could be sold abroad quite easily.

Of course. I suspect if it was done with authentic accents of the time - they may not have understood in the Birmingham suburbs - let alone the rest of the country.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
It was fairly enjoyable but a bit scrappy and some dodgy acting. I missed the last episode and it seemed to have disappeared from iPlayer before I could watch it and wasn't that fussed, all a bit predictable.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
I enjoyed it very much, and hope they make a second series.
They are making a second series.

I think Peaky Blinders is brilliant. It is the best programme I've seen this year.

And I really like the music they put in it.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Not sure if I will bother, at my age my hearing can't decipher the weird Brummie Mumblers. Add to that it is turning in to a caricature of The Goodies- Ecky Thump.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Yep, really looking forward to this new series, although got to record as will be at Theatre Royal Thursday evening.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just giving this a deserved bounce. Starts in 20 minutes. :)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have paused because my wife is on the phone AGAIN. Think it's been great so far tonight.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Only in PB'S can one man be threatened with a gun in 1920's Britain 3 times a week and not get shot. Usual mix of thumping music, thumping fights and digitally re-mumbled dialogue with some extreme violence thrown in. I wonder what the Americans would make of it ?

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Gave it 10 minutes tonight for the first time ever...........and no, thanks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here