Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The have some decent food outlets

Big Mouths a treat for lardies
Oriental Taste a decent chinese takeaway
Subway the world's favourite fast food outlet

Sadly the only intreging restaurant " The Three Ducks " a French restuarant which seemed to be permanently closed and no one was ever seen in the premises finally bit the dust earlier this year and it is now a sandwich and rolls outlet. So if you like to stuff yourself silly it's got some options.

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The Meridian Centre ?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
he only intreging restaurant " The Three Geese " a French restuarant which seemed to be permanently closed and no one was ever seen in the premises finally bit the dust earlier this year and it is now a sandwich and rolls outlet. So if you like to stuff yourself silly it's got some options.

'canard' (as in Les Trois Canards, the name of said establishment) means duck, not goose.

Three geese would be "Les Trois Oies".

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Although an independent town, Peacehaven relies heavily on the bordering city of Brighton and Hove. Many local residents commute into work via a regular bus link supplied by Brighton & Hove Bus and Coach Company, and most travel into the city for shopping and other leisure activities. Being in such close proximity to Brighton and the reliance upon the city for local amenities has led to a considerable "Brighton feel" to the town, in which many of the residents consider themselves "from Brighton". Peacehaven is twinned with the French town of Épinay-sous-Sénart and the German town of Isernhagen.

There is a leisure centre and the Co-operative Meridian Shopping Centre; there are also four schools in Peacehaven: Hoddern Junior school; Peacehaven Infants School; Meridian School and Peacehaven Community School; a police station, a dentist, several doctors’ surgeries and a plentiful supply of pubs and restaurants located throughout the town. These include the independent fast food outlet "Big Mouths" on the corner of the South Coast Road and Horsham Avenue, which leads the town's al fresco dining, and the eye-catchingly named "Grindlestonkers" towards the east. There are four churches; the parish church is the Church of the Ascension, and serves both Peacehaven and Telscombe Cliffs. There are dance schools, such as Harlequin and Studio 54, as well as numerous football and martial arts clubs.

In late 2006 a number of meetings between the then Mayor, Cllr Elayne Merry, and local businesses lead to the formation of the Peacehaven & District Chamber of Commerce in February 2007. The Chamber organises regular networking and support meetings for the benefit of its members plus an annual Trade Show to promote local services. 2009 saw the first Business Awards ceremony in which the winners in each category received a "Monument" to mark their achievement.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
There is a Bronze Age barrow (burial mound), currently under investigation by local societies very close to the cliff top.[2] The barrow represents evidence of the occupation of Peacehaven at least 3,500 years ago.

A 2007 excavation of the new Bovis Homes site to the west of Peacehaven Community School's playing fields unearthed an astonishing range of evidence for a prehistoric settlement throughout the Bronze and Iron Ages.

The saying “Dog Off” is thought to have originated n Peacehaven. Used as a noun, adjective as well as an insult. A “Dog Off” refers to someone who leaves the company of one friend to join the company of another friend unexpectedly due to the proposal of a better offer. The transposed friend is said to be a “Dog Off”. This is a local saying that has grown in stature and is now recognisable nationwide as well as being heavily used in Three Bridges East Sussex.

Peacehaven has only existed as a settlement since 1916, after its founder, Charles Neville had purchased land in the parish of Piddinghoe; he then set up a company to develop the site. He advertised it by setting up a competition to name the development, although the newspaper concerned — the Daily Express— sued Neville over the competition, holding that it was a scam, since he was offering "free" plots of land in the town as runner-up prizes, but issuing them only on the payment of a conveyancing fee. The exact name of the winner is unknown only it is believed to be a member of the Fearby family. The newspaper won the case, but the publicity brought the scheme to a large audience. The name chosen — New Anzac-on-Sea — lasted less than a year: the fateful Gallipoli campaign led Neville to rename his development Peacehaven. By 1924 there were 3,000 people living in Peacehaven.

The town, apart from the newer development to the west named Telscombe Cliffs & above Firle Road, still retains its original "grid" layout: rectangular plots of land on both sides of the main road. There are no "Streets" in Peacehaven, originally there were only "Roads" and "Avenues". With very few exceptions, "Roads" run east to west, and "Avenues" north to south — most forming crossroads where they intersected the South Coast Road (A259). Apart from this road, Roderick Avenue, running roughly up the centre, was the only surfaced road (except for the area of Local Authority housing around Friars Avenue (north)) in Peacehaven until the late 1950s, when the process of "making-up" the roads began. This started in Telscombe Cliffs and worked eastwards. As part of this, many of the Avenues had their junction with the main road blocked off, to reduce the number of junctions, and mainly eliminate crossroads.

Original houses were often very temporary affairs (some were old railway carriages). Others were constructed from former army huts, brought from North Camp near Seaford, a few of these still survive, having been given an outer concrete block wall (they can be identified by their oblong shape that tends to be end on to the road). Peacehaven eventually grew to be larger in area than Lewes, the county town and administrative headquarters of the region.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
'canard' (as in Les Trois Canards, the name of said establishment) means duck, not goose.

Three geese would be "Les Trois Oies".

Amended. I am a bit thick after all.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Big Mouths do cracking burgers.

I love the chips in a criss cross. Not sure what they are called but they are superb. They are also very fast.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
I live in Peacehaven (couldn't afford to buy in Brighton) and no, there is nothing here. It's quiet though and easy to get into Brighton so it's not a bad place to live.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I live in Peacehaven (couldn't afford to buy in Brighton) and no, there is nothing here. It's quiet though and easy to get into Brighton so it's not a bad place to live.

There are lovely Downs walks within a couple of minutes. I spent a year with my ex last year who lived there so I know a bit.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The Smugglers Rest does a cracking variety of pub meals all reasonably priced.

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
Best thing to do is catch the 14 or 12 bus into Brighton,go out drinking all evening in Brighton and return home under the cover of darkness and influence of alcohol.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Is there still a pub there called something along the lines of the "good companion" Only time i've managed to end up in a fight without trying. Four of us on the pool table some lad come up sticks a quid down we finish game he comes back and claims we've nicked his quid. Squares up to me giving it the big one bearing in mind he's considerably larger than me i'm only 5,8 and not exactly well built so i take a step back half guessing what he's about to d. He tries to headbut me misses, so i just grabbed a pool cue and cracked him straight across the nose, blood everywhere, four of us walked out past a few dodgy feckers at the bar just as we are leaving the pub one of mates turn round and says "we are Worthing you inbred cnuts" no idea what possesed him to say this, twat.To which about three pint glasses came whizzing past our heads................ Dodgy fecking place i can't even remember why we had even ended up in there. To answer your question there is nothing to do in Peacehaven unless you don't want your front teeth in your mouth.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The Thai Elephant 2.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Is there still a pub there called something along the lines of the "good companion" Only time i've managed to end up in a fight without trying. Four of us on the pool table some lad come up sticks a quid down we finish game he comes back and claims we've nicked his quid. Squares up to me giving it the big one bearing in mind he's considerably larger than me i'm only 5,8 and not exactly well built so i take a step back half guessing what he's about to d. He tries to headbut me misses, so i just grabbed a pool cue and cracked him straight across the nose, blood everywhere, four of us walked out past a few dodgy feckers at the bar just as we are leaving the pub one of mates turn round and says "we are Worthing you inbred cnuts" no idea what possesed him to say this, twat.To which about three pint glasses came whizzing past our heads................ Dodgy fecking place i can't even remember why we had even ended up in there. To answer your question there is nothing to do in Peacehaven unless you don't want your front teeth in your mouth.

The pub is still there never drunk in there but we have a dart match, where talking of boycotting it

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here