Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

pc help again please

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think I will take one step at a time and am just waiting to hear where to pick up some sticks from an NSC member. Once that is mastered perhaps dropbox is for the future

Pretty much anywhere. They are in the tech sections of asda, tesco, sainsbury, you can get them wh smith, any electrical store like maplins, dixons, pc world, amazon.
Amazon.co.uk: usb stick

A dvd is 4.7gb, a cd is 700mb (a gb is 1024mb)

If you get a 32gb memory stick (£10), it can hold the equivalent of almost 47 cds and is about the size of a thumb.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
An external solid state hard drive: 1 Terra byte (just over 1,000gb (GB = just over 1000mb)) is about £60.
U can put everything on it.

Please tell me where you are getting 1 terra byte solid state hard drives from for £60. Bearing in mind that you are still looking at paying £200 for a circa 240gb drive on most sites it seems like you've stumbled across the sale of the century.

As for the BGs problem forget about the USB key route and go with the cloud based solution of Dropbox or similar. Others have explained how it works and the basic service is free, no point spending money on something like a USB key when a cloud based solution will give you much more flexibility.

4-p

Sep 3, 2011
Shoreham
For someone who's current solution is CDs, relying on a free cloud storage is probably a leap of faith too far and understandable

Using a USB stick as a CD replacement is far more realistic and the common solution. Although some people in this position are starting to use cloud storage as a reference storage and backing up on the stick for peace of mind.
It would be easier to go from CD to USB stick and far more realistic

4-p

Sep 3, 2011
Shoreham
Please tell me where you are getting 1 terra byte solid state hard drives from for £60. Bearing in mind that you are still looking at paying £200 for a circa 240gb drive on most sites it seems like you've stumbled across the sale of the century.

Apologies for the mixed terminology, solid state was not correct wording in reference to the 1tb drive.

I'm typing on the phone at the end of the day so don't care enough...

1tb HD that does not require an external power source. Won't be flash of course but good enough for general backups.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Passport-1TB-Portable-Hard-Drive/dp/B007UOW818/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

Very popular with the less tekki as a master backup commonly along side USB sticks for portability and more specific use.

Personally I'm in the cloud but still back it all up on a PC and external HD.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Alternatively, email your scans to yourself and keep them in a folder in your inbox! Inelegant, yes, but foolproof...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Thanks to all that offered help and advice and after using a stick given me by an NSC member I bought a 32GB stick from Amzon. However it took about 14 hours to copy a 1.9GB DVD using my laptop and still hadnt finished so was advised to use an external hard drive on my PC. Then remembered I had bought a 300GB one to down load photos of USA last year so used that and the job was completed in less than 1 minute.

This has made me wonder could I download my complete C drive from my PC and restore the PC to factory settings to remove any old junk etc, then reload anything that I wanted from it back to my PC like printer drivers internet drivers etc.

Windows

Feb 8, 2013
Hove
If you make a full "image" of your C drive, you'll also be backing up any nasty stuff, so that's not advisable.

It'll be hard for you to do a full, clean backup at this stage.....you need to do that when it's clean to start with!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If you make a full "image" of your C drive, you'll also be backing up any nasty stuff, so that's not advisable.

It'll be hard for you to do a full, clean backup at this stage.....you need to do that when it's clean to start with!

That was my view of copying it all and then extracting exactly what I wanted like the drivers I mentioned rather than everything.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Me again needing advice. I use Windows XP on my PC and it has My Documents, My Music and My Computer but somehow I have lost My Pictues how do I get this back I have tried google for advice but all it suggests is to install other programs.

Dominoid

Albion fan in Devon
Jan 6, 2011
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Right click on the Start button and select Properties. Then go to the Start Menu Tab and click on the Customize button. Next click on the Advanced tab and then scroll down the Start Menu items list to My Pictures and tick it.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Following on from the advice given on here earlier in the year I have put all my documents onto a32GB memory stick and all was fine until now.

I am getting a message that windows doesnt recognise the USB device so went into trouble shoot and I managed to open the device manager as it said but according to them there should be Universal Serial Bus Controllers and the next step is Properties but I cannot get the properties box to show. What is the alternative?

Under this heading there are groups as listed below
INtel 82801DB 2.0 enhanced controller
Intel 82801DB USB Universakl Host Controller listed 4 times
Composite Device
USB Mass Storage
USB Printing Support
USB Root Hub listed 4 times.

I am now at a loss as to what to do. I would like to open the USB and will then copy all the data onto an external hard drive that I have.

Any help would be greatly appreciated from those who know.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
BG you are not alone here. Am also self taught with computers and learn from what others are doing and showing me.

Going to look a pratt here and wait to be derided. This dropbox being mentioned. What happens if you have to recover your computer to an earlier date, or even to factory settings? Does the info on dropbox get lost also?

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
An external solid state hard drive: 1 Terra byte (just over 1,000gb (GB = just over 1000mb)) is about £60.
U can put everything on it.

You sure 1TB SSD drive for £60? Fairly sure you mean a SATA drive?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Following on from the advice given on here earlier in the year I have put all my documents onto a32GB memory stick and all was fine until now.

I am getting a message that windows doesnt recognise the USB device so went into trouble shoot and I managed to open the device manager as it said but according to them there should be Universal Serial Bus Controllers and the next step is Properties but I cannot get the properties box to show. What is the alternative?

Under this heading there are groups as listed below
INtel 82801DB 2.0 enhanced controller
Intel 82801DB USB Universakl Host Controller listed 4 times
Composite Device
USB Mass Storage
USB Printing Support
USB Root Hub listed 4 times.

I am now at a loss as to what to do. I would like to open the USB and will then copy all the data onto an external hard drive that I have.

Any help would be greatly appreciated from those who know.

Have you tried it in another machine? Newer operating systems can detect faults on usbs and scan and fix them (I seem to remember you use an older windows, and I don't know when the scan and fix started to work)

BG you are not alone here. Am also self taught with computers and learn from what others are doing and showing me.

Going to look a pratt here and wait to be derided. This dropbox being mentioned. What happens if you have to recover your computer to an earlier date, or even to factory settings? Does the info on dropbox get lost also?

No, the info on dropbox is like hotmail, the files are stored online so are safe there. If you reset to a date prior to when you installed drop box, you would have to reinstall it, but the files will be linked to your account, so as soon as you sign in, it will download the files as they were last saved.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Have you tried it in another machine? Newer operating systems can detect faults on usbs and scan and fix them (I seem to remember you use an older windows, and I don't know when the scan and fix started to work)

No, the info on dropbox is like hotmail, the files are stored online so are safe there. If you reset to a date prior to when you installed drop box, you would have to reinstall it, but the files will be linked to your account, so as soon as you sign in, it will download the files as they were last saved.

Thanks for that.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Thanks for the advice Acker79 I tried it in my laptop which operates on Windows 7 and it worked perfectly so copied it to another Data stick. Went back to PC working on Windows XP and both sticks read and operated perfectly.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am on wifes tablet cos my lap top is showing processing request then after a few minutes unreponsive pages kill page orwait. This is happening most of the time. Any advice please

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It has got to be something with he lap top because I can post on wifes tablet and also on my PC which I am on now. It sits on processing request for ages before going to Unresponsive pages with 2 boxes Kill Pages or wait. This is on Chrome and Windows 7, I dont know if that helps. Should uninstall Chrome then re-install?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here