Pay for your NHS

• Thread starter Deleted member 22389
  • Start date

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Trident or NHS, NHS or Trident .... hmmm .... difficult one !

Scrap Trident and use the savings on the NHS and there would be no need for some ridiculous "subscription" fee.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
It's just an opinion of someone who doesn't even really have a say.. Who cares? Never going to happen!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
When I left school and started work income tax was around 30p in the pound (that's 30%), students got grants to go to university, dental/optician and some prescriptions were "free". Now income tax is 20p in the pound, so is that where the shortfall is? Successive governments have favoured indirect taxation and reduced personal income tax rates, but have they gone too far, are we now seeing the error of these policies?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
one assumes people would at least read the first paragraphs to discover who and what is suggested. It a Labour peer (tax status unknown) who's suggesting the same model used for fire and police funding. personally i dont like it much but someone got to start thinking how to continue to fund the NHS because its bloody expensive.

Its a former labour health minister actually.

And lets remember he belongs to a party that want to spend BILLIONS on an ID card. Taking advice on financial priorities from Labour would be like taking advice from the Tories on council housing.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
The biggest problem with the NHS has been the advancement in so many areas related to medical procedures and drugs that have resulted in longer life expectancy which in turn has called upon yet more resources. In real terms the NHS now costs ten times what it did in 1948.

Nearly 6% of everyone employed in the UK works directly for the NHS - add onto that figure all those workers in the various support industries such as pharmaceutical companies, equipment manufacturers and right down to workers in the energy industries supplying power, petroleum industry supplying fuels and textile industries supplying bedding and we must be approaching 1 in 10 of those in work!

If you divide the cost of the NHS equally amongst those in work the figure comes out at over £3,500 each.

I don't know what the answer is but in the end no matter how it is collected we will all have to pay more for the NHS in the future than we do now or the level of service being offered will have to be reduced.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm not saying I agree with the system in France but contributions make up 70% of their health service. The remaining 30% is covered by a health insurance policy.
I do know of several instances where people have had treatment in France and it is extremely good. You choose when you have your operation, your xrays are given to you (it's your body, after all) and you can see a doctor within hours.
I have had treatment myself a couple of times on holiday, paying 15 euros to the doctor and paying for the prescription at the pharmacy. I kept the receipts and claimed back 70% of the cost (holiday insurance had an excess of £50) from the benefits people at Newcastle.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Are you saying everyone who works in this country and pays tax and NI wouldnt miss another £2.50 a week going out at source?

As I said we can debate the rights and wrongs of it but its less than the price of a pint a week to save the NHS, as Phil points out £4billion a year is a lot of money, think how much good it could do within the NHS?

What would be the alternative scenario if the NHS went to the wall?

No... I probably wouldn't miss/begrudge another £10 coming out of my salary every month.... However, as a separate taxation, there would need to be an army of extra people dealing with it. Why the f*ck would anyone with a brain suggest raising money through anything other than income tax? Oh yes... Politicians are too f*cking scared to admit to the electorate that they need to raise more money to fund services - therefore typical of a New Labour peer to suggest another "stealth tax" just like they kept doing through the Blair/Brown years.

Some politician needs to be brave enough to spell it out like it is... we need £X from everyone to fund the services we want to keep and stop pretending that our tax system is a low cost airline and hiding all the f*cking costs by charging for stupid, made-up extras and advertising a low headline price that no-one gets!

Let's collect all that money we need in one nice easy method that is fair and proportional (We can make it Income Tax or, possibly, Sales Tax? - the only question).

Then make the system as simple and straightforward as possible so that we don't need to employ a ridiculous number of people administering the system (and so wasting money) and also the less complex the less loopholes you leave.

Let's set a high threshold so that we don't have to employ two people - one to take the money in tax and another to give it back as tax credits) and let's set that threshold in such a way that children, partners, pensioners, etc are all accounted for.

Let's not pretend there are any ring fenced "National Insurance" payments for the NHS by having multiple payments.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Why are the Welsh & Scots getting free presciptions when we still have to pay? Cutting that benefit would keep costs down.

Because governments have spent many years trying to suck up to them.

Given that life expectancy in Scotland is one of the lowest in Western Europe, I suppose they're statistically not claiming their free prescriptions for as long...

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Because governments have spent many years trying to suck up to them.

Given that life expectancy in Scotland is one of the lowest in Western Europe, I suppose they're statistically not claiming their free prescriptions for as long...

Aha but do they have more of them in the short time they are alive?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Aha but do they have more of them in the short time they are alive?

Probably, in between smoking 40 a day and glugging Buckfast by the litre :wink:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No... I probably wouldn't miss/begrudge another £10 coming out of my salary every month.... However, as a separate taxation, there would need to be an army of extra people dealing with it. Why the f*ck would anyone with a brain suggest raising money through anything other than income tax? Oh yes... Politicians are too f*cking scared to admit to the electorate that they need to raise more money to fund services - therefore typical of a New Labour peer to suggest another "stealth tax" just like they kept doing through the Blair/Brown years.

Some politician needs to be brave enough to spell it out like it is... we need £X from everyone to fund the services we want to keep and stop pretending that our tax system is a low cost airline and hiding all the f*cking costs by charging for stupid, made-up extras and advertising a low headline price that no-one gets!

Let's collect all that money we need in one nice easy method that is fair and proportional (We can make it Income Tax or, possibly, Sales Tax? - the only question).

Then make the system as simple and straightforward as possible so that we don't need to employ a ridiculous number of people administering the system (and so wasting money) and also the less complex the less loopholes you leave.

Let's set a high threshold so that we don't have to employ two people - one to take the money in tax and another to give it back as tax credits) and let's set that threshold in such a way that children, partners, pensioners, etc are all accounted for.

Let's not pretend there are any ring fenced "National Insurance" payments for the NHS by having multiple payments.

Agree with this.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I'd make the drunks who turn up on Friday and Saturdays pay as it's self inflicted.

Dont forget the smokers.
And what about rock climbers who get hurt?Thats self inflicted.
Drug users should pay too.
Anyone that gets a STD should pay.
People that get hurt playing sports......no need for it.....stay indoors.......they should pay too.
Cyclists that get run over should pay......they could take the bus instead.

anyone else?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Only additional charging I'd like to see in the NHS is for people who don't turn up for appointments. Costs the NHS a fortune.

'Figures have suggested that more than twelve million GP appointments are missed each year in the UK, costing in excess of £162 million per year. A further 6.9 million outpatient hospital appointments are missed each year in the UK, costing an average of £108 per appointment in 2012/13.' (Source: NHS England)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here