Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Pavement parking now illegal in Scotchland.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
No one will get any work done on their house, I'm not walking half a mile tooled up

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
There's bugger all room for anyone here (Victorian terraces)
Exactly. They were built without planning for cars. If the pavements are wide enough, two wheels on the pavement is a solution (although it makes the whole place a lot untidier than the architects originally envisaged it).

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Let's get them off the roads as well! Well at least until they have to pay a road tax
Must be so frustrating for motorists, having to slow down before overtaking them when they are scrupulously riding according to the Highway Code, eh? Best tax pedestrians too - waltzing over the road in front of the harassed car driver on zebra crossings or when the green man is showing. Disgraceful persecution of motorists!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Just double yellow EVERY road in B&H - problem solved.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Is it really a massive problem? Some roads are so narrow you have to park half on the pavement to allow traffic flow everyone manages to go about their business without any issues.
Yes. Yes it is.

No-one HAS to park on any part of a pavement, let alone half of it.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Must be so frustrating for motorists, having to slow down before overtaking them when they are scrupulously riding according to the Highway Code, eh? Best tax pedestrians too - waltzing over the road in front of the harassed car driver on zebra crossings or when the green man is showing. Disgraceful persecution of motorists!
Slow down before overtaking?
Just double yellow EVERY road in B&H - problem solved.
I thought they already were!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Unfortunately a lot of houses are built on non-adopted roads/private roads too, especially old properties like ours - the Council has absolutely no enforcement issue or the police in terms of parking - we tried where I live - neighbours van and cars constantly parked in front of his door, blocking the entire one lane road into the top of the cul de sac. Several times, in the past few years, I have had to be taken on an ambulance trolly down to the bottom of the road to the ambulance, at night in the pouring rain because his van blocked blue light access. It wasn’t until I got my mobility scooter out every time he parked there and honked/knocked on his door numerous times a day, they finally stopped using the road as their own forecourt. He still blocks my drive though and carers, traders, shopping deliveries, taxies have all had trouble getting to my house, let alone park.

If I remember correctly, the Council would have been prepared to put down yellow lines if all the residents agreed - obviously, the fox in charge of the hen house wouldn’t agree to that one. A female neighbour sold her house last summer because he kept parking his work van so close to her front door and overlapping the pavement, her daughter couldn’t get her buggy in and out of the house. Really inconsiderate behaviour.
Application for a disabled parking bay no help? No, I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't. A lot of places built with no thought of where the cars should go - often built before cars were invented, let alone widely owned by most of the population. Converting Victorian terraces to multi-ownership has hugely exacerbated the problem - of course, each occupier has a car.
No help to you, I know - but neither would the Scottish law be, I think, unless it applied to private roads too. A law against inconsiderate parking would be great - but one hell of a difficult thing to draft and enforce.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Half of it may well be common sense, as long as there is room for pedestrians (including those with wheelchairs). The whole pavement - unacceptable.
Depends how wide the pavement is :lolol:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Let's get cycles off the pavements first!
Both at the same time . . . cyclists need a legally binding proficiency test, and/or a f***ing hard slap or two. We weren't alowed to cycle to school until we'd passed one.

cars need picking up, and recycling. No apologies, no excuses, just don't be a lazy inconsiderate c**t

electric shit needs sorting out too, driving home from Btn last week, in the dark, it would have been a lot easier to kill a c*nt on an electric bike type thing . . . . He jumped 3 sets of lights to get ahead, then held the rest of the traffic up doing 25mph. A small low rear light, otherwise appearance was Isaac Hayes in a coal mine . . . .I digress . . . No Number plate, no license, no insurance, no respect. . . . But capable of moped speeds with the momentum and weight to kill a pedestrian, particularly given the style of riding.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Both at the same time . . .
I'd go with that.
cyclists need a legally binding proficiency test, and/or a f***ing hard slap or two.
No. Just enforce the laws. Every copper that goes on patrol - nick the first four cyclists you see riding on the pavement or otherwise defying the Highway Code, give them an on-the-spot fine and confiscate the bike - earn your wages!

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Both at the same time . . . cyclists need a legally binding proficiency test, and/or a f***ing hard slap or two. We weren't alowed to cycle to school until we'd passed one.

cars need picking up, and recycling. No apologies, no excuses, just don't be a lazy inconsiderate c**t

electric shit needs sorting out too, driving home from Btn last week, in the dark, it would have been a lot easier to kill a c*nt on an electric bike type thing . . . . He jumped 3 sets of lights to get ahead, then held the rest of the traffic up doing 25mph. A small low rear light, otherwise appearance was Isaac Hayes in a coal mine . . . .I digress . . . No Number plate, no license, no insurance, no respect. . . . But capable of moped speeds with the momentum and weight to kill a pedestrian, particularly given the style of riding.
🙄 on a single carriageway with street lights? So, 30mph max then? I don't think many drivers realise it is a maximum speed limit and not a minimum! A 40mph road is usually dual carriageway so plenty of room to go past.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here