Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Pavement parking now illegal in Scotchland.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Come on England get your shite together and follow suit.

Agreed - even worse than middle lane hogging. Blocks the pavement for pedestrians, blocks disabled access and can be an issue for larger vehicles passing too.

Not to mention the CHISLAS that park their cars on the pavement on Station Road outside their shops and then drive at pedestrians to get on the road. I'm looking at YOU Pappa Johns.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Let's get cycles off the pavements first!
I got fined £15 nicker back as a 16 year old for riding on the pavement It was my whole weeks wages.. It still rankles. Why is it allowed nowadays ? I’m mad as hell.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Scotland doing a victory lap for something councils could already impose, most of London has done for decades.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Scotland doing a victory lap for something councils could already impose, most of London has done for decades.
I understand it is 'should not' in the Highway Code, and therefore not technically illegal (except in London where they made it illegal a few years back).
Would love to see how my neighbours will cope if they do make it illegal as they're all on the pavement at present (I have a driveway). It'll half the available parking if it comes in - but be much safer for my kids.

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
I got fined £15 nicker back as a 16 year old for riding on the pavement It was my whole weeks wages.. It still rankles. Why is it allowed nowadays ? I’m mad as hell.
It is not actually "allowed" though, just never enforced. If you challenge a cyclist over why they are riding on the pavement the stock excuse is that the roads are too dangerous. Although this argument was somewhat diminished for one lad when i pointed out the cycle lane on the side of the road. Still got a torrent of abuse, though i suppose it could have been worse if he had been carrying a knife.
Might add that i do indeed cycle a bit myself but never on the pavement.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I understand it is 'should not' in the Highway Code, and therefore not technically illegal (except in London where they made it illegal a few years back).
Would love to see how my neighbours will cope if they do make it illegal as they're all on the pavement at present (I have a driveway). It'll half the available parking if it comes in - but be much safer for my kids.
Trouble is, many housing estates were built without provision for the number of vehicles the residents own (they still are built that way - the developers only thought is to cram as many houses into a given space that they can). Often the only way to park so as not to block the road is to park with two wheels on the pavement - which isn't a problem as long as there is room from prams, wheelchairs etc. to get past.

Even when there is a dropped curb and space for the owner to park their car, people can still have callers/carers/visitors who need to park - and again it is often safer to park with two wheels on the pavement. I know of one case where this was actually checked with Sussex Police - their answer was it was absolutely fine as long as enough room was left for wheelchairs.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The sooner this is enforced in England the better in my opinion.
As a former Hanover resident, it really annoys me that people park on the pavement in my road now. Its plenty wide enough to park both sides and pavement parking makes no difference whatsoever to traffic flow.

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
Would love to see them enforce this on our estate. Luckily the prick over the road has moved now this was most nights
IMG_1763.png

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
In our road they have converted 5 houses into HMO's in the last 18 months meaning there's countless more cars with nowhere to park. It's absolute bedlam, dodgy parking everywhere thankfully we have a 3 car drive.

Unfortunately when they apply for an HMO it doesn't go through the planning application so they don't seem to care about parking provisions and services.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Many roads around here get blocked with just 1 car parked on the road so, sadly, they have to park with 2 wheels on the pavement. It is extremely annoying and dangerous especially for the kids walking to school.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Personally, as a pedestrian (I don't drive or cycle), I'm in favour - but I bet that if it was introduced in England, we'd get the petrol-heads complaining about 'the war against motorists' like they do over ULEZ and speed cameras; it would immediately become another 'culture war' issue, with perma-angry motorists wallowing in their sense of persecution and victimhood.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Trouble is, many housing estates were built without provision for the number of vehicles the residents own (they still are built that way - the developers only thought is to cram as many houses into a given space that they can). Often the only way to park so as not to block the road is to park with two wheels on the pavement - which isn't a problem as long as there is room from prams, wheelchairs etc. to get past.

Even when there is a dropped curb and space for the owner to park their car, people can still have callers/carers/visitors who need to park - and again it is often safer to park with two wheels on the pavement. I know of one case where this was actually checked with Sussex Police - their answer was it was absolutely fine as long as enough room was left for wheelchairs.
There's bugger all room for anyone here (Victorian terraces)

SAC

May 21, 2014
I did't realise that it was only illegal in London, I assumed it was illegal countrywide and it's about time it was.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Is it really a massive problem? Some roads are so narrow you have to park half on the pavement to allow traffic flow everyone manages to go about their business without any issues.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
We live on a main bus route. Lots of residents have transit sized vans for their work. If we don't park on the curb the buses can't get past.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Let's get cycles off the pavements first!
Let's get them off the roads as well! Well at least until they have to pay a road tax
Is it really a massive problem? Some roads are so narrow you have to park half on the pavement to allow traffic flow everyone manages to go about their business without any issues.
Yeah, going about their business where push chairs, disabled and every other fucker has to walk in the road? ???

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here