Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Samrah

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Oh, and I second Harty in echoing all that Paul Samrah said. And to suggest, as two people on this thread have done, that Paul is remotely bitter about no longer being in the mythical 'inner clique' is just one of the crazier fantasies of Ernest and will be recognised as ludicrous by anyone who knows him. I do know some members of the Falmer for All team and they are are all just pleased to have got their lives back.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Barber has done a number on Tony.

The footballing side of the club has nose dived since Barber came in, and basically Tony went with Barber rather than Gus (you can dress it up differently if you like).

Very poor football decisions have been made in the last two season FFP or not.

If the product is poor on the pitch this will affect all revenue streams in the medium term and this is what Barber has to realise. Eating a few more pies will make f all difference. 10k less fans will.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill

The footballing side of the club has nose dived since Barber came in, and basically Tony went with Barber rather than Gus (you can dress it up differently if you like).

If the product is poor on the pitch this will affect all revenue streams in the medium term and this is what Barber has to realise. Eating a few more pies will make f all difference. 10k less fans will.

Spot on.

That's a point of view that can get people into terrible trouble.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina

Completely right. I will admit Barber is excellent at communicating with the fans but this has glossed over the fact that the playing side of the club has deteriorated since Gus left. If we can't even sign decent players when we've raised millions in transfer fees in the last year, I can't see how we are ever going to sustain Championship football in the future, which is baffling when we are still getting big crowds for this level of football.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Of course he's well-respected and with good reason but it's certainly not for any football tactics acumen. When it comes to opinions on the current squad and their prospects in this league, Samrah's views carry no more weight than mine, yours, Ben's Grandad or the bloke who used to hold the board up at Goldstone/Withdean.

And you know how much combined weight that is? Absolutely diddley-squat.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I also took issue with the tone of Paul Barber's programme notes, thankfully I will have a platform in my newspaper column to respond to them on Thursday.

Can you give us your thoughts on the tone? Not got a programme so I'll be interested to hear what you think. He's done patronizing, and school teacher, previously. Has he got another string to his bow?

Of course he's well-respected and with good reason but it's certainly not for any football tactics acumen. When it comes to opinions on the current squad and their prospects in this league, Samrah's views carry no more weight than mine, yours, Ben's Grandad or the bloke who used to hold the board up at Goldstone/Withdean.

And you know how much combined weight that is? Absolutely diddley-squat.
Indeed. But how much does Tony Bloom really know about such matters? He wouldn't be the first chairman of a football club to be lacking in some of the skills necessary to achieve success.

Demonises Barber too much for me, he is just basicallly carrying out orders. The buck stops with Bloom and the board that set the terms of Barber's influence at the club.

All the people who flooded out of the stadium at the 80-minute mark are basically people threatening not to renew their season tickets. The board may be over-estimating the loyalty of those fans who came to the club very easily when the stadium was built and may depart just as easily.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I think he is a sad case
Nose put well out of joint...no longer one of the inner clique

Perhaps the fact that a man of Paul Samrah's dedication is no longer as closely involved with the club as he was is a bit of an indictment of its present direction.

As for matters on the pitch, we always struggle against Middlesbrough. The performances v Forest, Cardiff and Watford were good.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Is it Barbers's remit to make 'football decisions' then?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Perhaps the fact that a man of Paul Samrah's dedication is no longer as closely involved with the club as he was is a bit of an indictment of its present direction.

As for matters on the pitch, we always struggle against Middlesbrough. The performances v Forest, Cardiff and Watford were good.

Indictment of our present direction? Forgive me if I've misunderstood but we're enjoying our 3rd consecutive year in the second tier, the last two years of which have been in play-off positions.

And seeing as this thread is about Samrah's comments about playing strategy and performances just how would closer involvement with the club improve that? Are you suggesting Samrah should have a say in who plays where and under what system?

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
I think he is a sad case

Fair enough to criticise Sami's style, but on the phone in he repeatedly slagged off
Tony Bloom
The same TB who provided the wonderful stadium, and great Training Academy, at massive expense

Something I might add his pal Dick Knight, ( another bitter man) failed to do
You think Paul Samrah is a sad case?

Clique or not, I think your assessment of this really important character in our clubs history is utterly retarded.

Henfield One

Aug 5, 2003
I think he is a sad case

Fair enough to criticise Sami's style, but on the phone in he repeatedly slagged off
Tony Bloom
The same TB who provided the wonderful stadium, and great Training Academy, at massive expense

Something I might add his pal Dick Knight, ( another bitter man) failed to do

Sorry but if you listen again, you'll see that at no stage in the phone-in, did I ever 'repeatedly slag off' Tony Bloom. I said someone has to take responsibility for the shambles on the pitch. Far from the same thing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p027zzzw

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Completely right. I will admit Barber is excellent at communicating with the fans but this has glossed over the fact that the playing side of the club has deteriorated since Gus left.

The fans "best mate". Many lap it up but I find much of it patronising and somewhat disrespectful to even a moderately intelligent follower of how the game and business in general works

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here