Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Samrah

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Why get Ian to talk to PB. He'll talk to you face to face himself, over email or via the many forums he attends where he meets fans every month.

It was meant as a rhetorical question ... I've had direct dialogue with PB on other matters as well as questions at forums. My issue still remains

Last edited:

Both Baldock and Wilson were undisclosed fees. They were the top two scorers in L1 last season.
My guess is that given rumours, local journalists insight that fees were about the same.
I also suspect their wages (Bournemouth ?) were about the same. But i'll bite. How are you absolutely sure Wilson cost more, that Wilson was a target but we were put off by his fee or alternatively that our scouts obviously didn't talk to any "seasoned judges of L1 football" before plumping for Baldock as you imply.

No need "to bite" - I'm assuming this is a civilised discussion.

I'm sure our scouts did talk to those they needed to, but the worry is that Baldock was the cheaper option in this instance. I've seen estimates of 3 million for Wilson and what would you say for Baldock, 1 and a half-ish?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
No need "to bite" - I'm assuming this is a civilised discussion.

I'm sure our scouts did talk to those they needed to, but the worry is that Baldock was the cheaper option in this instance. I've seen estimates of 3 million for Wilson and what would you say for Baldock, 1 and a half-ish?

Ha ! just a turn of phrase :)

I've no idea if Wilson was a target. He might well have been. Not the sort of striker we were after. Maybe . But cheaper than Baldock ? V.unlikely.
And agreed we've missed out on targets recently due to our budgets. Grabban, Clayton. More for the wages rather than the fee mind.

Ha ! just a turn of phrase :)

I've no idea if Wilson was a target. He might well have been. Not the sort of striker we were after. Maybe . But cheaper than Baldock ? V.unlikely.
And agreed we've missed out on targets recently due to our budgets. Grabban, Clayton. More for the wages rather than the fee mind.

Actually a good turn of phrase :)

But I can't see how you think it's very unlikely. Multiple press reports for Wilson clearly point to 3m - it's more murky for Baldock sure but you are surely not saying we spent anywhere near that figure? And nor should we have for this particular player.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Actually a good turn of phrase :)

Multiple press reports for Wilson clearly point to 3m

"a loaded deal that is understood to see City get £2.25m up front." via http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sp...ews/coventry-city-callum-wilson-joins-7375654 also included loans out as part of the deal...

although it does say that add-ons would mean up to £3m...goals/appearances/promotion presumably...

Baldock "close to £2m" via http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Sale-S...City-close-2/story-22849512-detail/story.html
Expect add-ons part of the deal.
Both are long term contracts so value of the contracts would be substantial and probably similar.

"a loaded deal that is understood to see City get £2.25m up front." via http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sp...ews/coventry-city-callum-wilson-joins-7375654 also included loans out as part of the deal...

although it does say that add-ons would mean up to £3m...goals/appearances/promotion presumably...

Baldock "close to £2m" via http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Sale-S...City-close-2/story-22849512-detail/story.html
Expect add-ons part of the deal.
Both are long term contracts so value of the contracts would be substantial and probably similar.

We're getting bogged down in micro detail here perhaps, so last one from me on this - but I am at a loss to understand how a 3m deal with add-on is similar to a close to 2m deal with add ons?

It seems to me we didnt want to get involved in an auction for Wilson with Bmuff/Norwich for Wilson, (similar with Grabban situation before), so ended up taking a lesser player who was unlikley to attract such interest in Baldock, hence the narrative about lack of ambition.

Can I just say at this point I'd love Baldock to get 10 before Xmas - but my entirely fallible guess is that he won't get anywhere near that and will leave us having to start this process all over again in Jan window.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We're getting bogged down in micro detail here perhaps, so last one from me on this - but I am at a loss to understand how a 3m deal with add-on is similar to a close to 2m deal with add ons?

It seems to me we didnt want to get involved in an auction for Wilson with Bmuff/Norwich for Wilson, (similar with Grabban situation before), so ended up taking a lesser player who was unlikley to attract such interest in Baldock, hence the narrative about lack of ambition.

Is there evidence anywhere at all that suggests Wilson was someone we had any interest in, would pursue, may pursue, did pursue or gave up at some point due to expected cost? You're just hypothesising, which is fair enough, but it's no more than that. You may be right or you may be completely wrong but you you seem to be extrapolating this unsubstantiated guess to illustrate a lack of ambition. That doesn't stack up, not by a long chalk.

All I can add to the Wilson debate is it a name I never heard mentioned by any of the people I know who tend to know about these things. Again, that doesn't illustrate anything, but I'm not going to say that we failed to land a player due to, essentially, lack of ambition.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This is very true and should be very worrying for the board. We are not a cheap club to go and watch, and when people have a ticket, but decide not to go anyway, that should ring alarm bells.

£550 for my s/t, so say £575 for next season. I will probably carry on, but know a few who are calling it quits at the end of this season - reasons given - the cost for them and their kids they consider are getting out of control out of a family budget, the decline in squad quality and results, and the hassle of several hours from door to door in watching an Amex game with the transport involved.

Despite their undoubted intelligence, business acumen and articulation, I doubt that TB and PB are aware that many s/t holders feel like that. They can be too positive in your outlook, too 'American' (eg the "match-day experience" waffle), but in fact be burying their heads in the sand on real fans issues.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here