Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul McShane - are we missing an opportunity?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
According to various reports Reading manager Steve Clarke has already flown to Dublin to have talks with out of contract Paul McShane.

I can't think of a better yet realistic player to replace Greer in the starting line-up. It would be a real shame if we weren't in the market for him. Bags of experience, still only 29, a fighter, knows the Prem. The fact he was our Player of the Year some time ago is also in his favour, although this is incidental.
In answer to the headline question - No.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Blimey, I'm going to assume you've had a bad day and are spoiling for an argument. My first post was written very much in the style of Stat Brother, who incidentally managed to interpret the post exactly how it was meant, see a few posts above and you'll notice he's taken over the baton and continued from where I started. I obviously didn't get the memo about which joke material is appropriate and how it should be used.

Not really spoiling for an argument. But Stat brother's joke is essentially "people are so intent on signing our old players" which is in keeping with the general sense on this board when old players are come up. This is not the same as, in fact is it the opposite of, your lighthearted comment, which would require the general sentiment on here to be opposed to signing our former players.

Stat hasn't taken your joke and run with it, he's gone in the opposite, and more accurate, direction with it.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
McShane can cover RB as well as CD although I would agree with others that pace would be an issue. We do need to look at replacing Greer though as the back four as a whole is too old to mount a challenge next season, despite a decent record last season, the signs were there especially against the quicker sides in the division.

Part of the reason I think re signing Bruno and Calde was a mistake...

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I used to laugh at his performances for Sunderland a few years back, he really was the worst defender in the Prem back then.

Those memories stick for me, so no thanks.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Not really spoiling for an argument. But Stat brother's joke is essentially "people are so intent on signing our old players" which is in keeping with the general sense on this board when old players are come up. This is not the same as, in fact is it the opposite of, your lighthearted comment, which would require the general sentiment on here to be opposed to signing our former players.

Stat hasn't taken your joke and run with it, he's gone in the opposite, and more accurate, direction with it.

525762344e41c793280cd61d49db8a14_zpsm7buhhc7.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Who's joking?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Reading have signed him.

They've done some business already haven't they? I'm not going to say whether it's GOOD business, but it's business all the same!

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
James Perch is the one we want in my opinion, but I believe QPR are interested which practically blows us out of the water I would imagine wages wise.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think Reading have got themselves a Championship Top 6 player there. I'm sure the Albion are in the market for a starting central defender (if they're not they should be) and I'll be interested to see who we end up with.

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
I think I'm the only one relieved about this. I understand he might have once scored a goal or something, but whenever I have seen him on MoTD he seems to be the one flailing around out of position and diving in when the oppo score.

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
Paul McShane would be a great signing.

Does anybody honestly think we will win the Championship or compete for a Play-Off place with Gordon Greer in our side. He was an above average defender 2-3 seasons ago but now he needs to be replaced by somebody with more pace and consistently. Gordon was only really consistent at giving the ball away last Season.

The Danish Centre-Back who Brentford have signed should have been a target along with Paul McShane.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Does anybody honestly think we will win the Championship or compete for a Play-Off place with Gordon Greer in our side?

Considering Gordon Greer has played an integral part of a team that've made the Championship play-offs for two out of the last three seasons, the answer for me is simple.

Yes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here