Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul McShane - are we missing an opportunity?

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
The only thing I want to see in the press from the club is a player stood in the Amex with a BHAFC scarf above his head. Until then it is not for them to say anything if they don't want to.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I do not see McShane as the answer to any problems I would sooner we concentrate defensively on left back possibly a quicker right back and lastly a CB. Many more positions to be filled before CB.

Don't you think that our captain visibly showing a significant loss of form and loss of pace over the course of 2014/15 is a serious a deficiency as the LB position? I think the CB position is only just behind that of the lack of a goalscorer in terms of priority. If Dunk were to leave for a better salary we would be f**ked.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Don't you think that our captain visibly showing a significant loss of form and loss of pace over the course of 2014/15 is a serious a deficiency as the LB position? I think the CB position is only just behind that of the lack of a goalscorer in terms of priority. If Dunk were to leave for a better salary we would be f**ked.

As you say IF Dunk was to leave the situation changes but at the moment Greer is as good as McShane would be for us. If we bring in a CB I would hope it would be one a lot quicker than we have and also McShane. I have heard good reports of the ex Arsenal lad in the DS for the future, is it Dallian

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
As you say IF Dunk was to leave the situation changes but at the moment Greer is as good as McShane would be for us. If we bring in a CB I would hope it would be one a lot quicker than we have and also McShane. I have heard good reports of the ex Arsenal lad in the DS for the future, is it Dallian

Honestly you believe Greer is as good as Mcshane at the moment ?.....Mcshane is light years ahead in my opinion.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I do not see McShane as the answer to any problems I would sooner we concentrate defensively on left back possibly a quicker right back and lastly a CB. Many more positions to be filled before CB.

But to be fair, you can't focus 100% on a specific order and if an opportunity arises, shouldn't you grasp it with both hands?

I would take McShane, experience, desire and leadership something that was lacking last season.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Honestly you believe Greer is as good as Mcshane at the moment ?.....Mcshane is light years ahead in my opinion.

I dont think there is much difference certainly not sufficient to warrant a probable signing on fee plus higher wages. It is the done thing on here to slate Greer who is still considered good enough for Scotland despite the constant criticism shown here.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I dont think there is much difference certainly not sufficient to warrant a probable signing on fee plus higher wages. It is the done thing on here to slate Greer who is still considered good enough for Scotland despite the constant criticism shown here.

But if you were still scouting what would you report back re Greer?

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
The club answered your question about next season by offering contracts to 3 defenders who are getting worse by the season...That's Greer,caldy and Bruno.Thats 3 lots of high wages that could've gone into the pot and these decisions are very bad for our prospects next season and the club never learn.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Well, that seems quite out of touch with the poll on Bobby Zamora with 65% of responses saying they'd be delighted or 'pee my pants excited', and only 15% given a negative response (with 14% of that not being a no, but being "more concerned than excited". It also seems to be out of touch with every Glen Murray thread started in the past 2 years. The Matt Upson thread has a few 'no thanks' but they all seem to be about his age, rather than him coming back, (and the negatives to Zamora are mostly about his age and fitness, not about old players coming back).

It seems like you've seen a couple of negative posts and wrongly extrapolated them to be more significant than they were.

I think you may have read far too much into a post that was intended to be light hearted.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

This is not a black and white issue. Two years ago Greer looked like a Top 6 defender but age has caught up with him. The same can be said of Aaron Hughes. Both men can still do a job in the Championship but if you're looking for a player to play 50 games in a season to a Top 6 level then Greer is no longer up to that job.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think you may have read far too much into a post that was intended to be light hearted.

Yes, but it's a lighthearted comment that doesn't work because it is so out of touch with the trend of opinion on NSC. In fact, the opposite would have been a more appropriate lighthearted comment - that we should sign him up because so many people on here keep calling for us to sign former players.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
But if you were still scouting what would you report back re Greer?
I wouldnt be reporting on Greer unless workjng for a lower league club than Brighton so it would be much the same as I did when reporting on Greg Fee, early 90s for BL. I said that he was competent at that level so would obviously cope with lower grade but no better than we had at the time. so he wasnt pursued any more. Due to his age if we had the chance to sign a faster CB of equal or better ability we should do so but I do not believe McShane falls into that category.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
McShane always appear to be prone to a mistake in the EPL. I'm not convinced anyone in that division would want him. He'd be a reasonable signing in the Championship, but not one it's worth worrying about missing out on. We need a big, beautiful (and ideally black) BRUTE like Wes Morgan. He would be my dream signing, but he's quite literally out of our league. So let's try and get someone like him, rather than another haphazard lightweight.

Great call [emoji4]

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
McShane always appear to be prone to a mistake in the EPL. I'm not convinced anyone in that division would want him. He'd be a reasonable signing in the Championship, but not one it's worth worrying about missing out on. We need a big, beautiful (and ideally black) BRUTE like Wes Morgan. He would be my dream signing, but he's quite literally out of our league. So let's try and get someone like him, rather than another haphazard lightweight.

I would agree but would immediately rule out Shittu.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So have we now finally gone through every available ex Brighton player, and are starting the whole cycle again.

With Barnes being out, and even the most narrow minded now able to see Ulloa is better than us, by my reckoning FFS is up next, followed by Orlandi.

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
According to various reports Reading manager Steve Clarke has already flown to Dublin to have talks with out of contract Paul McShane.

I can't think of a better yet realistic player to replace Greer in the starting line-up. It would be a real shame if we weren't in the market for him. Bags of experience, still only 29, a fighter, knows the Prem. The fact he was our Player of the Year some time ago is also in his favour, although this is incidental.

Getting Paul McShane back does seem a bit of a no-brainer, has to be said.

Wages might be a problem tho. He might want some.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Yes, but it's a lighthearted comment that doesn't work because it is so out of touch with the trend of opinion on NSC. In fact, the opposite would have been a more appropriate lighthearted comment - that we should sign him up because so many people on here keep calling for us to sign former players.

Blimey, I'm going to assume you've had a bad day and are spoiling for an argument. My first post was written very much in the style of Stat Brother, who incidentally managed to interpret the post exactly how it was meant, see a few posts above and you'll notice he's taken over the baton and continued from where I started. I obviously didn't get the memo about which joke material is appropriate and how it should be used.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Any player signed over 24 years old will need to be very special.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here