Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Ince playing the race card

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
There is literally nothing that annoys me more than people like Paul Ince and Sol Campbell constantly accusing this country of being racist against black managers and black footballers in general. It's insulting and inaccurate. Of all premier league footballers over 40% are black. They are bought, picked whatever because of their ability. Some of the best players to have played in this country are black and are held in very high regard and classed as legends.
Firstly it's a numbers game, there are less black people in the country than white people. Also these days there are plenty of players who don't need to enter management due to personal wealth.
For Campbell to say he wasn't England captain (apart from the time he actually was!!) as a permanent position because he is black is insulting and be littles his team mates achievements. Someone needs to stop it all now it's pathetic.
If there is an argument to be had its why there are currently so few (if any) Indian or Pakistani professional footballers or coaches......

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
There is literally nothing that annoys me more than people like Paul Ince and Sol Campbell constantly accusing this country of being racist against black managers and black footballers in general. It's insulting and inaccurate. Of all premier league footballers over 40% are black. They are bought, picked whatever because of their ability. Some of the best players to have played in this country are black and are held in very high regard and classed as legends.
Firstly it's a numbers game, there are less black people in the country than white people. Also these days there are plenty of players who don't need to enter management due to personal wealth.
For Campbell to say he wasn't England captain (apart from the time he actually was!!) as a permanent position because he is black is insulting and be littles his team mates achievements. Someone needs to stop it all now it's pathetic.
If there is an argument to be had its why there are currently so few (if any) Indian or Pakistani professional footballers or coaches......

This.

Assuming it is the England Manager's final decision alone as to who gets the armband, Campbell is essentially calling Sven, Keegan and McClaren all racists?

tommynockers

Dec 6, 2013
At Blackburn: "After winning just three games in 17, Ince was sacked on 16 December 2008 after just six months in charge."

Who's stats are the same as Ince?

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
What amazes me is when people like Lenny Henry whine that the BBC lacks diversity and that more should be done to get people from ethnic minorities onto our screens. Have they never watched EastEnders, or Holby City, or Waterloo Road, or the BBC News (in which black and Asian newsreaders and reporters abound)?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
For all of the above stated logical reasons that you have chosen to ignore in lieu of one piece of anecdotal evidence.

If you do not see there being a problem then the do-nothing option is fine. And you can comfort yourself that adding an additional person to an interview list is discriminatory.

If you see there being a problem then positive action is best taken. And the experience of the NFL over a ten year period is hardly anecdotal. For me - I think positive action is best. And I do not view adding a person to an interview list as discriminatory. But I can understand why another person would. I just think - in the balance of things - so what ?

But, as I say if you do not see a problem - then the do-nothing option works fine.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
If you do not see there being a problem then the do-nothing option is fine. And you can comfort yourself that adding an additional person to an interview list is discriminatory.

If you see there being a problem then positive action is best taken. And the experience of the NFL over a ten year period is hardly anecdotal. For me - I think positive action is best. And I do not view adding a person to an interview list as discriminatory. But I can understand why another person would. I just think - in the balance of things - so what ?

But, as I say if you do not see a problem - then the do-nothing option works fine.

The NFL is in a country with a different culture, a different demographic and a much stronger culture of racism. I honestly don't think it's relevant here.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Because most of them prefer cricket.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean

Jimmy FH isn't keen either:

New Burton Albion boss Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink says he would not want to be considered for a management role just because of the Rooney Rule.

The ex-Chelsea striker's appointment at the League Two side means he is only the third black and ethnic minority (BME) boss in the Football League.

Under the Rooney Rule in American Football, teams must interview at least one BME candidate for a head coach job.

"I would want to be called because I am the right person," Hasselbaink said.

"I wouldn't want to be interviewed for a job just because of the Rooney Rule."

Hasselbaink, 42, joins Huddersfield Town's Chris Powell and Carlisle United's Keith Curle as the only BME managers currently working in the Football League.

"Honestly, I do not think about that. I do not think 'I am the third black manager'," he said.

"I applied for this job because I know am the right person for the job - white, black, whatever.

"And I have been given the job because I know that he [Burton chairman Ben Robinson] thinks that I am the right person for the job. That's the only thing that I want."

"I am proud to be black, but that does not change how I see things. I do not see myself as a role model for black people; I see myself as a role model for white, black, whoever. That is how I see it."

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
Because most of them prefer cricket.

Do they.
My grandad was Indian and watched Luton every week. He'd get racist abuse from Luton fans while he was sitting there. Now there are literally thousands of Indian/Pakistani fans there every week (and this is just Luton I'm talking about) so 'they' clearly don't just like cricket.
My point was was that there are still hardly any Indian/Pakistani players let alone managers and coaches.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Do they.
My grandad was Indian and watched Luton every week. He'd get racist abuse from Luton fans while he was sitting there. Now there are literally thousands of Indian/Pakistani fans there every week (and this is just Luton I'm talking about) so 'they' clearly don't just like cricket.
My point was was that there are still hardly any Indian/Pakistani players let alone managers and coaches.

How many do you see at the amex ? Or most other grounds ? I'll tell you , a tiny percentage , I'd even question your assertion of thousands of Indian/Pakistani fans at Luton , and why the quotation marks around 'they' ?

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
How many do you see at the amex ? Or most other grounds ? I'll tell you , a tiny percentage , I'd even question your assertion of thousands of Indian/Pakistani fans at Luton , and why the quotation marks around 'they' ?

Ok then. A significant percentage of the crowd is now Indian or Pakistani.
Quotation marks for clarity as you quoted that 'they prefer cricket'

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
Ok then. A significant percentage of the crowd is now Indian or Pakistani.
Quotation marks for clarity as you quoted that 'they prefer cricket'

And forgot to address the other part of your post. Agreed I don't see many Indian or Pakistani supporters at the Amex. Not for that matter do I see many black supporters at the Amex. The crowd of a stadium in some ways a mirror of the community it serves. So are we racist at Brighton? No. Is the fact that there are less black managers in English football that white managers a result of the fa and country as a whole being racist? No, again. It's a numbers game

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Keith curl said something along those lines the other day.

His jobs so far

Mansfield - relegated then sacked for bullying
Chester. - sacked after 9 months after losing 11 in 12
Torquay - relegated
Notts county - did ok - fell out with owner and sacked

I don't see much there suggesting why am owner would appoint him

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
This wouldn't be the same Paul Ince who refused to meet Dick Knight when we were looking to replace Mickey Adams Mk2 would it?

As poor as an idea the Rooney Rule is I feel given the ultra PC we live in it is almost inevitable it will end up being introduced before long. So with it in operation Chris Hughton (for example) would've been 'interviewed' by Man United when they were looking to replace Moyes. A total waste of everyone's time.

Haughton strikes me as being sensible, I don't think it would be the case for people like him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here