Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Clement

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
He is undoubtedly a great coach...

I just wonder, what are we basing this on? he rocked up at an undoubtedly great club as coach granted, but was/is he an undoubted 'great.?!?

I said at the time, he was touted as our saviour, that managing is not just about a new whistle, clipboard and knowing how many bibs to bring to training. To be fair though, I'd have faith in him setting up a mean line of cones, and saying yes boss at all the right times. At the time of writing, however, if I were a Derby fan, I'd be thinking something's amiss... Motivation, the aura you carry etc... He's certainly 'a coach' with connections and all the right qualifications, alas It looks as if he's about as inspiring an appointment as Jeff Wood turned out to be for us.

I jest of course, although I have a tingling sensation that he'll be gone by November. Poor old Derby... sniff sniff.

Kosh

Last edited:

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
The team joint top of the table (us) get 30 seconds of highlights on the C5 show, Derby County and their insignificant season so far get five or so minutes. Twats.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
The team joint top of the table (us) get 30 seconds of highlights on the C5 show, Derby County and their insignificant season so far get five or so minutes. Twats.

Whilst I am no particular fan of the Channel 5 highlights revamp, presumably this will be a condition of the contract to screen the highlights that they have to allocate 5 minutes of highlights to the Friday night match in addition to the main match that was on the world feed (so presumably Charlton v Hull today). T'was the same for the BBC when they showed the highlights.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
As for Clement and Derby, it's hardly surprising they've started the season slowly and appear to be low on confidence. That might have something to do with them appearing to be dead certs for automatic promotion for two-thirds of last season only to completely capitulate and not even make the play-offs when their fate was in their own hands on the final day of the season and they conspired to lose at home to a team that had nothing left to play for and had finished in the bottom half and who have also failed to win so far this season. There will probably be a hangover from that for some time while their current injury crisis doesn't help them either. If they are in and around the top 6 by the start of November though, I expect there's a strong chance they will be amongst the front-runners.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo

Cripes - are 'we' not popular? Surely all the motivation the players will need to literally ram it down the 'suits' @5 #noquality when we demolish the tractor boys come next Saturday post noon.

Trust me, we even haven't broken sweat yet...

It's going to be a grim old night in the McCarthy household, "good day love?" "'Appen, we lost again..."

On a serious note; we are due a win at Ipswich I believe, I also believe firmly in the law of averages and similarly; the wrath of God.

Kosh

Crewton Ram

Jan 10, 2013
Did we dodge a bullet by not getting him as new manager.
Not ripping up any trees so far this season with one of the most talented squads in the championship.

Calm down mate, did anyone ever win or lose something in August? Clement is trying to meld quite a few new signings into the existing squad whilst still evolving the style in which he wants to play. The Bolton and Middlesbrough games were disrupted by losing two midfield players to injury in each. The loss of Hughes half an hour into the season has meant a change already in the way the team plays. In the two home games, both oppo teams played with 7 players in their own half, so he has to work out ways of breaking such teams down. All 3 goals conceded so far resulted from major deflections. Allot of mitigating factors so far therefore. I think he'll get it right soon.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Calm down mate, did anyone ever win or lose something in August? Clement is trying to meld quite a few new signings into the existing squad whilst still evolving the style in which he wants to play. The Bolton and Middlesbrough games were disrupted by losing two midfield players to injury in each. The loss of Hughes half an hour into the season has meant a change already in the way the team plays. In the two home games, both oppo teams played with 7 players in their own half, so he has to work out ways of breaking such teams down. All 3 goals conceded so far resulted from major deflections. Allot of mitigating factors so far therefore. I think he'll get it right soon.

We said the same thing about Hyppia here last season

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I was excited by the prospect of us making him our manager. But it's always a risk making a number two your manager. It takes different skills. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I would say the jury is still out on Clement. We're four games into a season where he is still finding his feet, still dealing with the hangover from last season's capitulation, and also has a couple of significant injuries.

I would also say if things don't work out for him at Derby, it might not be more evidence that we were lucky not to get him. I think Hyypia isn't as bad as his spell with us suggests, and it's possible that like Hyypia, Clement's run is being affected by things you just can't account for.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I was excited by the prospect of us making him our manager. But it's always a risk making a number two your manager. It takes different skills. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I would say the jury is still out on Clement. We're four games into a season where he is still finding his feet, still dealing with the hangover from last season's capitulation, and also has a couple of significant injuries.

I would also say if things don't work out for him at Derby, it might not be more evidence that we were lucky not to get him. I think Hyypia isn't as bad as his spell with us suggests, and it's possible that like Hyypia, Clement's run is being affected by things you just can't account for.

Fair assesment, of course there's a risk, he's never done the job before! And anyone expecting Derby to tear up the first few games are a being very optimistic! He has had shocking luck, but even so, Todd want things to be looking up in the next couple is months, football fans can be fickle breasts....

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide

Who is 'us' ?? I am confused about who u support?

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
A bit premature then perhaps, as others have also suggested. I wouldn't call judging someone's managerial ability after 5 competitive games particularly rational though, but time will tell.

Bloody hell, there's enough on here'll make that kind of call before a ball's been kicked! :lolol:

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
A bit premature then perhaps, as others have also suggested. I wouldn't call judging someone's managerial ability after 5 competitive games particularly rational though, but time will tell.

We agree, premature yes. Lets see. If you're behind us i hope it goes well :thumbsup:

DerbyMatt

Aug 24, 2015
We have started slow, but what do you expect when so many new players have come in, new backroom staff, new manager and new formation/playing styles?

Add to that an injury to our best player who is simply irreplaceable, along with injuries to 3 other midfielders too.

Anyway, I signed up here to respond to a few of the comments on the Dale Stephens thread, which I'm struggling to locate right now.

You'll probably choose to ban me from here, but I'm not here to kick off :bigwave:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Derby County have played just four league matches, and do have key injuries. I would be very careful before gloating at this stage. Let's see how things are looking in the Spring. No wonder some folk call us arrogant. What's that we say about the likes of Leeds ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here