Paul Clement - dark horse

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
From just hearing that, it sounds to me like it's a done deal.....For the record I hope he is great and does an amazing job. But I fear this is going to be a disaster.

I share your fear, and in particular am deeply concerned about his lack of any experience being the man in charge.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
This is a man who has played a significant part in winning the biggest club competition in the world with one of the richest clubs in the world. It's seems incredible that, if he were to make the move so soon, it would be to a club so intent on tightening the purse strings.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If the unfounded NSC rumours were to be correct, at some point Tony's policy of employing managerial newbies and unknowns, will blow up in his face. The law of averages says so.

But that's not going to stop me being really pleased that the Albion is run by a man prepared to think a little differently to all the others.
I think it's great that Tony isn't a sheep following all the other chairmen employing the same people from the same merry-go-round.

There if that doesn't get Warnock the job, nothing will :lol:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I fear this appointment . I also think it is a bad fit and maybe an experiment to far .

I would love love to be wrong

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I share your fear, and in particular am deeply concerned about his lack of any experience being the man in charge.

I understand your nerves. But every manger has to start somewhere, it was the same Gus and apart from the bad ending, he did ok. If he is appointed then I think it will be another brave gamble by TB and a exciting choice.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This is a man who has played a significant part in winning the biggest club competition in the world with one of the richest clubs in the world. It's seems incredible that, if he were to make the move so soon, it would be to a club so intent on tightening the purse strings.
Alternatively he'll be
- Walking into his first managerial job supported by a man he already knows.
- Working with a competitive team in a competitive league.
- With an infrastructure comparable to what he leaving behind, and I'd imagine better than anywhere he's worked.
- Joining a side with an incredibly strong and very coachable yoof set up.
- Plus I'd imagine with the exception of Kaz (bless him) a reasonably ego free dressing room.
- (nearly forgot) With money to spend and positions that need filling.
- Working for a reluctant to sack chairman.
- All the while carrying his Champs League winners medal.

In Sussex, in the sunshine.

What's not to love?

Last edited:

Stumpy Tim

I'm firmly in Camp Clement. Been a coach under some of the best in the business for years, and yet is young and English. He's the stand-out candidate. Obviously things might not go to plan, but that's the same for any manager.

Go get him Tony!

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
This is not a guy who has just been putting the cones out a training he is a trusted part of a managerial team that includes one of the best managers in the world and in zidane one of the greatest players to grace a football field. Yes it will be a challenge for him but his progress already has shown certainly something he is capable of. I have more respect for people like him who come through this route learning the ropes like Brendan Rodgers did.

Would be an interesting appointment and of all the names mentioned the one that intrigues me the most.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
I think after last night, if he comes to us he would have the respect of the players. That is half the battle.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
If you are English, can and have coached and managed players at Chelsea, PSG and Real, plus coached development teams at Fulham and Chelsea,... plus do the assistant manager role at Blackburn, wouldnt you say that is a decent CV and great credentials for a managers job at an up and coming 2nd tier team?................ I think it is a perfect fit.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
If you are English, can and have coached and managed players at Chelsea, PSG and Real, plus coached development teams at Fulham and Chelsea,... plus do the assistant manager role at Blackburn, wouldnt you say that is a decent CV and great credentials for a managers job at an up and coming 2nd tier team?................ I think it is a perfect fit.

Exactly. Much better credentials than our two previous managers and they were both pretty successful.

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
Paul clement last night "I've got a burning ambition to be a manager"... "Right club, right time, in going to go for it". He also said it will be in the very near future and he's ready for management now.

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
SSN showing interview with clement after last nights champions league final and talk of his burning desire to be a manager and if right club come forward he is going to go for it. Sounded to be like he is enjoying the moment but now wants a managerial position

Sorry only just seen this. Definitely looks like he's got something lined up. Hopefully a trip to the Amex.

Dec 31, 2012
In the Gym
Paul clement last night "I've got a burning ambition to be a manager"... "Right club, right time, in going to go for it". He also said it will be in the very near future and he's ready for management now.

Sept he wouldn't be a manager here IF he joined. He would be Burke and Barbers puppet. Just like Oscar. I don't think he will join but If he doe's he will be off like the other two.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Sept he wouldn't be a manager here IF he joined. He would be Burke and Barbers puppet. Just like Oscar. I don't think he will join but If he doe's he will be off like the other two.

Deluded.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Surely, he wouldn't step into a Prem job (Southampton will surely want someone with more experience as a manager) so, on that basis, why not us? Seems like a win-win to me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports