Paul Clement - dark horse

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Yes as long as David Burke is ok the rest doesn't matter

Not quite what I meant but Burke appears to be key in the organisation as far as Bloom is concerned and clearly not likely to go anywhere soon, so I would guess the need for manager and Burke to work well together is an important consideration for the club

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Would be a very interesting choice, would imagine him to more of a training ground manager than the typical English role. Have no idea what type of football he prefers, when you look at the teams he has been at they have all had different styles

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Clement now 13/8 fav.

Pretty sure that's the first time he's dipped below 2/1 and taken top spot.
(All meaningless I know)

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Clement may know Burke but that doesn't tell us whether he rates him or not ...

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
have to say, the more I read about him, the more impressed I am.....someone's going to have to take a punt, Zidane not, as thought, going to Bordeaux, Ancelloti has stated he doesn't mind losing one of his coaches......then again if Real lose tonight......

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
have to say, the more I read about him, the more impressed I am.....someone's going to have to take a punt, Zidane not, as thought, going to Bordeaux, Ancelloti has stated he doesn't mind losing one of his coaches......then again if Real lose tonight......

If he tries to play on the Real Madrid model (i.e. fast counter-attacking; I am not for one moment trying to compare us with them), then I think he will do fine, so long as the club back him with signings. The way they demolished Bayern Munich at the Allianz Arena was a sight to behold. I just hope he wouldn't try to play along Barcelona lines. I know I might get facepalms, but frankly their style when you don't have a player of the class of Messi makes me want to take a pillow and sleeping bag along. Also, if you press them, they get rattled, as happened against Atletico Madrid last Saturday. They played their normal tap across the back style, Atletico won the ball back and ran at them, just as Derby did to us.

Another factor, which today's Play Off Final showed, is that it tends to be won by workmanlike sides. That's two years running it has happened, and to a certain extent, we showed it by beating Bristol City in 2004. Would Clement be able to adapt in this way? Also, will he get enough patience from everyone? I am prepared to be, even though I was in the pro-Sherwood camp. Those who were expecting a Sherwood or McKay type appointment will see anything less than Play Offs as a failure, even though the last two seasons have to a great extent been overachievements.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The thing about these young coaches wannabe managers is when they have one decent season they get big headed and want to leave for the PL.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just checked and still 3/1 at corals
Some value there then

What does that make the 28/1 that Skybet opened with?
(all meaningless, but hey t'is fun to be ahead of the curve)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports