Paul Barber's letter to The Argus

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
What in that letter gives cause for such gushing praise of PB? ???

Read it again and think about what he's actually written

1) - We've massaged the financial position, not because doing so doesn't breach FFP but because there are no penalties for doing so

2) - The full effects of new sponsorship deals weren't reflected in last season's accounts - information already in the public domain

3) - For 18 months the club has been trying to reduce costs and increase income - success in this has meant a small increase in the playing budget compared to last year - again something previously claimed but without any detail.

4) - General statement about the potential benefits of the training ground and proposed hotel

5) - Season tickets, "We minimised adult price increases to an average of 3% . . . " - what does that mean? - ". . . and froze child prices but we have had to compromise somewhere" - again, what does that mean?

6) - The club is considering a transition phase regarding the cost of season tickets for those turning 18 next year.

7) - General summary regarding the players sold, bought and 'promoted' from the development squad plus, "Liam Bridcutt left for a club record fee (and significantly more than what was reported)" - no indication of how much he considers to be 'significant'.

8) - We will meet FFP requirements this year.

None of the above is particularly Earth shattering and apart from the possibility of a new season ticket price band and the vague information about LB's transfer fee, there is nothing new in what he has written.

That is not intended as a criticism of PB, quite the opposite - as I have said on other threads, I am very impressed with his PR work.

BUT, as I said at the start of this post, there really is nothing in the letter he wrote that is deserving of some of the embarrassingly gushing praise he has received on this thread nor to indicate just how good, or bad, he is at doing the actual job he is paid for.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I did hear Bridcutt fee was £3.5 mill with add ons[/QUOTE]

I always thought it would be between 3 and 4m
Barber very precise and I am beginning to like the bloke (damn it)
keep it up

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

1) - We've massaged the financial position, not because doing so doesn't breach FFP but because there are no penalties for doing so

2) - The full effects of new sponsorship deals weren't reflected in last season's accounts - information already in the public domain

3) - For 18 months the club has been trying to reduce costs and increase income - success in this has meant a small increase in the playing budget compared to last year - again something previously claimed but without any detail.

4) - General statement about the potential benefits of the training ground and proposed hotel

5) - Season tickets, "We minimised adult price increases to an average of 3% . . . " - what does that mean? - ". . . and froze child prices but we have had to compromise somewhere" - again, what does that mean?

6) - The club is considering a transition phase regarding the cost of season tickets for those turning 18 next year.

7) - General summary regarding the players sold, bought and 'promoted' from the development squad plus, "Liam Bridcutt left for a club record fee (and significantly more than what was reported)" - no indication of how much he considers to be 'significant'.

None of the above is particularly Earth shattering and apart from the possibility of a new season ticket price band and the vague information about LB's transfer fee, there is nothing new in what he has written.

That is not intended as a criticism of PB, quite the opposite - as I have said on other threads, I am very impressed with his PR work.

BUT, as I said at the start of this post, there really is nothing in the letter he wrote that is deserving of some of the embarrassingly gushing praise he has received on this thread nor to indicate just how good, or bad, he is at doing the actual job he is paid for.

I don't think its all about what he said in his letter, but more that he has taken the time out to respond to questions and criticism that has been brought to his attention. I can't think of many other club CEOs that would do the same.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
Creaky: do remember he was answering the letters written to the Argus by some numpties - it wasn't to announce anything new, it was to correct some ill-informed or ill-conceived opinions among the Argus readership.

thisistips

Oct 17, 2010
Away away away

To summarise,

we've cleaned the decks

We're making more money

We're investing for the future

We're looking after our customers

This is a CEO doing a good job, his willingness to enter into regular dialogue with his customers makes it a great job.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
No obligation for PB to write that, and although nothing particularly in the way of revelation, a lot of clarity and came across very well. However much he's paid, from what I've seen/read he is an asset to the club and I am grateful we have the executive set-up we have going forward, stands us in good stead. Can't help but compare with the shambles at Leeds to make me realise that I'm glad to have what we have.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Creaky: do remember he was answering the letters written to the Argus by some numpties - it wasn't to announce anything new, it was to correct some ill-informed or ill-conceived opinions among the Argus readership.

I totally understand and there is no criticism from me for writing the letter, nor the content - just don't understand comments such as,

I don't care what anyone says, i like that man and really do think he has the best interests of the club at heart. We're in good hands.

Personally I think the club is in great hands with him.

That is a fantastic letter. Fans can say what they want but with bloom and Paul b running the club, I can only see is going from strength to strength.

Brilliant read and opens up with honesty to the club and doesn't leave a stone unturned.

What's more he is a true professional about it all too! Keep it up Paul

I think he is a fantastic asset to the club and will ensure we are well poised to continue to challenge for promotion in the future

etc. etc.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I totally understand and there is no criticism from me for writing the letter, nor the content - just don't understand comments such as.

Those quote aren't based purely on the letter and nothing else, obviously. I'm sure people are forming an overall opinion based on everything they've seen in the last year or so, not just the fact that he managed to write a letter :shrug:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
PB's letter states: "We brought in Dale Stephens, Jon Obika and David Rodriguez" all in the same breath.
I think we've bought [own] Stephens and Span-rod, but I though Obika was only a loan,
Can someone confirm please.

Other than that, good effort at putting the cards on the table [to continue the poker theme]

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Whatever you think of Paul Barber and his policies, one thing you can't acuse him of is not caring.

Personally I think the club is in great hands with him. He seems very open and transparent which helps when he makes unpopular decisions.

that......he really didn't have to reply to any letters/criticism but he did.......he has indicated we will not pay exorbitant wages and that we are well placed for the future.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports