Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Barber's letter to The Argus

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
I don't care what anyone says, i like that man and really do think he has the best interests of the club at heart. We're in good hands.

This.

The open-ness of the club at times is great for the fans too. He didnt need to send a letter to The Argus, but he did and it clears up a lot of things. We really are on the way to becoming a model club on and off the pitch - regardless of what the doom-merchants say.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Why don't they just say what Bridcutts' fee was?

Because that then gives other teams an idea of how much money we have, therefore they may decide to overprice their players if we enquire. It's like a game of Poker - don't let them see your hand.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Such a contrast to Ken Brown. Did he ever write/reply to the fans/general public in a way that PB has done so?

I wrote one email to Ken and it took him a few weeks to reply and didn't even begin to address the issue I raised. We must have had a rum bunch of applicants when Brown snaffled the post.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
What do you reckon? 3.35 rising to 4 if Sunderland stay up?

Probably not far off depends which report barber is referring to as ranged from 2.5 - 3.5 depending on where reported. I would imagine maximum of 4 with add ons as can't see it being more than that for a defensive midfielder. Next years accounts should give a better idea!!!

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Because that then gives other teams an idea of how much money we have, therefore they may decide to overprice their players if we enquire. It's like a game of Poker - don't let them see your hand.

But the transfer window is closed so what does it matter?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I presume the player in question whose wage demands were way in excess of the club's thoughts was Grabban. I wonder if Bournemouth matched his demands?

One thing is for sure his agent tried it on and then has gone back to Bournemouth to secure a better deal for his client.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
But the transfer window is closed so what does it matter?

Well, that money is (probably) still going to be there come the summer, isn't it?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Excellent letter, very measured and calm and responds to each criticism with very robust confidence.

The only issue I have is that we are clearly abiding to FFP rules however others clearly are not so it now really depends on the authorities to ensure those that don't are punished accordingly.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
New sponsorship deal sounds interesting. Good work the club.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You get what you pay for. I'm sure in the long run it will work out better for the club financially having Paul Barber running things with his experience, than someone on less money.
As the saying goes pay peanuts and get monkeys. We do not pay peanuts and havent got a monkey but a very ecperienced CEO who knows football and business in general for which there will be 1 winner BHA FC.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I think the club and Paul Barber get running of the club and communication spot on. I don't know if there is any other fans that know as much about FFP as Brighton fans. We may not like every decision that is made, but we normally get a reasonable explanation as to why it was made. I really feel the club is in very good hands. I also hope there are people who will ask questions to make sure it stays that way.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I really, really am becoming a fan of PB. He seems to be addressing issues as necessary, giving info when required, and generally doing what needs to be done.

This also reminds me that I must email him to offer thanks for an issue I had with the club that he resolved in a very acceptable manner. Not that he capitulated without discussion, I just realised that his/the club's offer was very fair.

Seems to be a top man to me, hope he is around for a long time.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
True. But he is very well paid for doing the job he is doing.

And so he should be....but I bet it pales into insignificance compared to some of the players who don't care as much about the club as he does. I'm right behind him, and the boss.
Winning games isn't the only important thing about a footy club. And I feel blessed that BHA is where fate has led me. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here