Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Paul Barber to Saudi?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This. He's been very active and vocal supporting and working in women's football; for this alone I cannot see him taking a job out there.
I think if you were an ambitious type, as PB clearly is, you'd see that as an opportunity not a barrier.

It would be the chance to be known as the man who, in 10 years from now, is spoken about as bringing about a revolution in the women's game in a country which had previously been seen as regressive for women.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Paul is already a wealthy man if he takes this job I’ll lose all respect for him. Barber imo is the best ceo out there and any major club worth its salt would want to recruit him. Saudi Arabia is the antithesis of everything that our club and city stands for, i‘d consider taking their money as a big F You to our club and values of openness and inclusivity.

Spare me the generational money BS these are people are millionaires already, the cash takers are just greedy
I expect he'll survive.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Not so sure it’s a given. He is so ensconced in the English game. As well as being Deputy Chairman he sits on all sorts of committees throughout the game. That’s a lot of influence to give up. I’m grabbing at straws aren’t I?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Nobody with their head screwed on would do this. But then we know how averse he is to things up top being screwed on.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Paul is already a wealthy man if he takes this job I’ll lose all respect for him. Barber imo is the best ceo out there and any major club worth its salt would want to recruit him. Saudi Arabia is the antithesis of everything that our club and city stands for, i‘d consider taking their money as a big F You to our club and values of openness and inclusivity.

Spare me the generational money BS these are people are millionaires already, the cash takers are just greedy
’this is a wonderful opportunity to change the face of football and help drive the inclusivity agenda in the Kingdom, and an exciting project…..’ etc etc…….

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
It’s amazing how principles fly out the window when huge cash enters the room. I’d like to think I’d stick to mine, but I guess you never know until you have to make that choice: I hope PB doesn’t go. The Saudi regime tends to be top of the league in passing out death sentences. It puts the press in repressive regime. This soft power, sports washing makes me queasy. No way do I buy this ‘change regime from within’ didn’t happen around the World Cup in Qatar.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Maybe he'll go.

As has been said, 10 years is a long time. He was never going to be CEO for life.

The concern is, who he would take with him.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think if you were an ambitious type, as PB clearly is, you'd see that as an opportunity not a barrier.

It would be the chance to be known as the man who, in 10 years from now, is spoken about as bringing about a revolution in the women's game in a country which had previously been seen as regressive for women.
Possibly. I guess it depends on how sincere one believes the country is. Another outcome in 10 years could be the chief puppet in a sportswashing program?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
It’s amazing how principles fly out the window when huge cash enters the room. I’d like to think I’d stick to mine, but I guess you never know until you have to make that choice: I hope PB doesn’t go. The Saudi regime tends to be top of the league in passing out death sentences. It puts the press in repressive regime. This soft power, sports washing makes me queasy. No way do I buy this ‘change regime from within’ didn’t happen around the World Cup in Qatar.
It's obvious bollocks. It didn't happen in the world cup before, or the China olympics. It won't stop greedy people from citing it though

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Jordan Henderson springs to mind. Supporter of stonewall and outspoken about regimes ahead of Qatar WC. Gets offered a huge wedge and he’s off to join them.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Paul Barber is very career driven , he has openly admitted he understands why someone would move to better their financial position .

One of the reasons he’s stayed with Brighton other than working for a great Chairman is the fact he is one of the highest paid in the PL.

My concern is that if Saudi offer to triple his salary , he will be off . He will spin it that he’s excited to have the opportunity to help grow football in Saudi but it will 💯 be money related ,

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Well there is the obvious thing to do, let's all email him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here