Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Paul Barber OBE

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
Harsh, but.. no, not fair actually. He stands out in his field and it's huge recognition fo Albion. Just think about what a contribution across football, especially during Covid times, that he has made. Just maybe during Covid he was an unsung hero trying to keep our national sport alive. I know it certainly helped my mental well being that I still had the Albion on which to focus.
Yes, this is what I was going to say too. It’s not really fair that excellent people should not be recognised for the work that they have done when it stands out, because they aren’t in certain industries or professions.

At the end of the day, not everyone in the world can be nurses, charity workers or researchers. Everyone should have the chance to be recognised, whatever their field, if they are worth it.

I have a much bigger issue with Lords who have done nothing to earn the honour, but simply pay the Tories for their peerages.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Thoroughly deserved. I always recall emailing him directly to pass on my thanks to supporter services on having a card and gift bag sellotaped to my seat on my 40th birthday and he replied to me. When I've got a day off in the new year to read his reply, I'll email him a message of congratulations for this.......

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well done Paul.

I do agree with this though:

Struggle with this. Highly paid in an industry that is all about money, money,money. Honours should be given to the unsung heroes - charity workers, carers, vaccine innovators etc, not celebs, actors, politicians or those that work in the most lucrative and sometimes most morally dubious industries

He does an excellent job for Brighton, but he earns a fortune doing it, so I'm surprised a CEO would be considered. I'd have thought Bloom would be more deserving of it, since he doesn't get paid, he just gets to lose money helping out his club and community.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Struggle with this. Highly paid in an industry that is all about money, money,money. Honours should be given to the unsung heroes - charity workers, carers, vaccine innovators etc, not celebs, actors, politicians or those that work in the most lucrative and sometimes most morally dubious industries
They are - facking loads of them because the NY honours list is LOOOONG.

Well done PB. No doubt a bid from Chelsea is on its way...?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Harsh, but.. no, not fair actually. He stands out in his field and it's huge recognition fo Albion. Just think about what a contribution across football, especially during Covid times, that he has made. Just maybe during Covid he was an unsung hero trying to keep our national sport alive. I know it certainly helped my mental well being that I still had the Albion on which to focus.
Spot on :thumbsup:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Does that mean it may be taken away for the club going early on the news? :eek:
I thought that they may be in trouble but they have all been announced now (Sir Brian May, Dame Denise Lewis). I thought they waited until tomorrow but obviously not.
Oh and an 18 year old from NI has been given a gong for his work with people with ASD, which is great.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Yes, this is what I was going to say too. It’s not really fair that excellent people should not be recognised for the work that they have done when it stands out, because they aren’t in certain industries or professions.

At the end of the day, not everyone in the world can be nurses, charity workers or researchers. Everyone should have the chance to be recognised, whatever their field, if they are worth it.

I have a much bigger issue with Lords who have done nothing to earn the honour, but simply pay the Tories for their peerages.
Have you ever read through one of the honours lists? There are hundreds of 'normal people' recognised every time!

Most of the media typically only picks up on the famous ones (apart from local news, who highlight some local recipients) because they are, well, famous.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Have you ever read through one of the honours lists? There are hundreds of 'normal people' recognised every time!

Most of the media typically only picks up on the famous ones (apart from local news, who highlight some local recipients) because they are, well, famous.
There are hundreds of people recognised every time. Isn't that just the problem? Time was when a knighthood, or an OBE or whatever was a big deal - now, just one of the crowd.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Meh.

Order of the British Empire ???

Anachronistic load of old bollox.

The whole honours system needs a rethink. Along with our National Anthem.

theboybilly

Putting the amount of effort he puts into running the club and keeping it competitive in a largely skewed competition, there is also the great work Paul does with things like AITC. Sometimes awards like this are recognition of bigger things and the club can bask in a little bit of reflected glory. If you can't take pride in this there's something wrong. Plus he's a decent bloke. We'd be in a worse place without him

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here