Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Paul Barber interview with Ben Jacobs - De Zerbi succession and Caicedo sale etc

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I haven’t heard of this guy before, why is he so disliked?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We’ve heard that a 100 times before he must get bored of repeating himself.
You reckon Paul Barber gets bored of repeating himself?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

el punal

We’ve heard that a 100 times before he must get bored of repeating himself.
You might have heard it 100 times before but thousands haven’t. Barber is promoting Brighton and Hove Albion in the best possible light, part of his job spec I suppose. If it means the world looks on us favourably because of it then it’s all worthwhile.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
shame barber didn’t ask him about why he’s no longer allowed to work for the bbc

Why can't he? Didn't know he did tbh. I just know him from his twitter BS during transfer windows.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
You might have heard it 100 times before but thousands haven’t. Barber is promoting Brighton and Hove Albion in the best possible light, part of his job spec I suppose. If it means the world looks on us favourably because of it then it’s all worthwhile.

This was my thought. Putting BHAFC out there again as a potential destination for up and coming young stars who could be transfer targets for us. Making the right noises from the top of the club.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Luckily for us, Barber has to be above such petty things as grudges over transfer sagas. Fans may not like Jacobs, but he could be a useful asset in future media storms. Fans may not like CHelsea, but the club has said time and again that it's not a problem they have.

People may have heard it a hundred times, but that doesn't mean they listened.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Luckily for us, Barber has to be above such petty things as grudges over transfer sagas. Fans may not like Jacobs, but he could be a useful asset in future media storms. Fans may not like CHelsea, but the club has said time and again that it's not a problem they have.

People may have heard it a hundred times, but that doesn't mean they listened.
Indeed. Thank heavens the grown-ups are in charge of our club.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
From what I've seen of Jacobs (essentially his Twitter posts), I'm no fan of him. Like Fab Rom, he appears to be stealing a living on there for effectively stirring shit and taking punts on things that come off.

However, he is – whether you like it or not – just doing his job in this instance, as a journalist. Looking at from the other side, it wouldn't be a good look if Barber said 'No, I'm not talking to that goon because I don't like the way he operates'. I can point to hundreds of examples where I've seen people interviewed by people they don't like (I'm not even saying that's the case with Jacobs/Barbs), but it's part and parcel of the job. I've probably even had it myself, where either party has gone in with a pre-conception of what the other one is like. But it's all part of a game and, ultimately, both parties have to rise above it because it's the viewers/readers that really matter.

Whether Jacobs has done a good job at interviewing him – or is even any good as a journalist – I honestly don't know. And I won't know because I have no interest in watching him in that video. But plenty will.

It is what it is :shrug:

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
From what I've seen of Jacobs (essentially his Twitter posts), I'm no fan of him. Like Fab Rom, he appears to be stealing a living on there for effectively stirring shit and taking punts on things that come off.

However, he is – whether you like it or not – just doing his job in this instance, as a journalist. Looking at from the other side, it wouldn't be a good look if Barber said 'No, I'm not talking to that goon because I don't like the way he operates'. I can point to hundreds of examples where I've seen people interviewed by people they don't like (I'm not even saying that's the case with Jacobs/Barbs), but it's part and parcel of the job. I've probably even had it myself, where either party has gone in with a pre-conception of what the other one is like. But it's all part of a game and, ultimately, both parties have to rise above it because it's the viewers/readers that really matter.

Whether Jacobs has done a good job at interviewing him – or is even any good as a journalist – I honestly don't know. And I won't know because I have no interest in watching him in that video. But plenty will.

Yeah, he’s still a **** though.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Yeah, he’s still a **** though.
Barbs? Bit harsh :wink:

Yeah, he might well be, but that doesn't automatically make him bad at his job. My point is that people/journalists such as him are – to a point – a necessary evil when you are representing a brand, business or product.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Barbs? Bit harsh :wink:

Yeah, he might well be, but that doesn't automatically make him bad at his job. My point is that people/journalists such as him are – to a point – a necessary evil when you are representing a brand, business or product.
No Jacobs,

Here’s some benchmarking as to his journalistic abilities

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Why can't he? Didn't know he did tbh. I just know him from his twitter BS during transfer windows.
IMG_1418.jpeg

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
A privately educated, Oxford toff, who got found out and rebuilt his career after a horrifically stupid instance of gross misconduct at the BBC by taking any job the Middle East were willing to give him (a great friend of Keys and Gray of course).

He's bottom of the barrel stuff and CBS have given him far too big a platform in the US.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

He’s massively sucking up to the Saudis now and projecting himself as some kind of expert on the game/transfer market etc there……have heard a couple of soundbites on the radio from him introduced as ‘our Middle East football expert’ or similar - sort of a ‘Dinar Shop’ Tim Vickery.

GrossTurn

Jun 20, 2020
I didn't say we needed him, more that it's useful for people like him to better understand the way we work and do business.
He definitely doesn’t seem to take any of it on board when it comes to his click-bait focussed twitter output, though. See post #4.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here