Paul Barber interview on Seagulls World

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Eh?
If you are looking for a player "who will lift the team to a greater level" there would be no players who are "just about good enough bulk out the squad as cover for a match or two - not to be relied on to play a lot of games, but for a game or two can just about do a job". Those players would not have made the list. The list would consist of players who could all lift the team to a greater level, all of them. Obviously this is in the opinion of the manager and recruitment team.

Not necessarily. When you have one player in a specific position, let's say left back. You have one. You need someone else. Since the one you have was signed to get you out of league one into the championship but has been exposed a few times you want someone better, or at least a second choice.

Your list will (for illustration's point) contain someone who is 4 times better, he is the one you most want, your second choice is a player who is three times better, third choice is twice as good.

Your last choice might be one who is not quite as good as your current guy, but it gives you that squad depth you need, so that the guy who you already have can be rested for a match, and not make as many mistakes or so that he sees there is someone else at the club who could take his place forcing him to focus more in the hopes of avoiding losing his place, or just so you have someone to cover that position should he get injured (such as Lita or Obika provided with the striker position last season).

Ideally, every signing improves the team, but it doesn't work out that way. Sometimes you have to settle for the minimum, improvement of squad depth. That's not the worst thing ever, but that is why getting the last choice on the list isn't as good as getting the first choice.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don't think that three managers in three seasons suggests something is not right.

Gus left after 3 1/2 years which is probably longer then anyone thought, and due to his character his departing was probably always going to be messy.

Oscar left after just one season, just as he did in his previous job, then returned to the previous job. Which I think says more about Oscar then Brighton.

So that is 2 Mangers in 4 1/2 years. We have just appointed Sami Hyppia who from what I have read is very well thought of in the football world, he says he has investigated the club from top to bottom and was still happy to sign.

So just maybe there is no major problems with the club :shrug:

Exactly. But you are in danger of letting facts get in the way of childish NOTW-like hyperbole.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Just telling us what we want to hear, just like politicians.

Was what you wanted to hear "Matt Upson might have signed for us if we'd have had a manager in place" and "We can't compete on wages with clubs like Leicester"?. In fact, did you even watch the whole interview?

What would you do differently to what Barber is doing? Seriously, what do you want?

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Was what you wanted to hear "Matt Upson might have signed for us if we'd have had a manager in place" and "We can't compete on wages with clubs like Leicester"?. In fact, did you even watch the whole interview?

What would you do differently to what Barber is doing? Seriously, what do you want?

Premiership football :thumbsup:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
And how do you propose we get there?

Some would say spend £10m's even more of Tony's personal money per season, as a gamble. And then use some imaginary team of creative accountants (with the intelligence and apparent legal/accounting skills of the anti-Barber brigade), to massage the figures in breach of FFP, the Companies Act 2006, mandatory Accounting Standards and mandatory Auditing Standards ..... to acquire a squad of players to get to the PL. It all makes perfect sense

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think you are over simplifying too much. Other factors such as age and potential, wages and transfer fees will also play a large role. Not just the pure current ability of the players.

I don't think it makes much difference, all you're adding is more variables with which to judge the player, making it less likely that the list of target solely contains players who will make the team better.

Instead of getting a fully formed player who is not as good as who you have, you get a younger player who might not be currently as good but has a few years to get better (but who may not improve significantly or at all) - a player 'with potential'. That player might leave you as soon as he improves a bit, maybe only getting as good as our current player before he gets the attention of bigger clubs so we don't benefit from him.

So (going back to my last illustration) instead of signing your first choice player who is four times as good as your current player, who would be as good as he is going to get, and likely to spend the last four years of his career with us, you get your fourth choice - a 19 year old who isn't as good as your current player, and could leave for a bigger club a year or two later when he has improved, or who may never improve.

Again, showing that not everyone on the list will be better than what you have.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I just do not understand anyone who wants the manager to have full control over signings. Unless it is their own money. Look at Harry for example. Was allowed to destroy Pompey and if the owner of QPR walks,gets bored, they will be in the same position.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
It's funny how all the pro-Barber people tend to be the ones that can actually string a sentence together properly and take time to put the reasons for their viewpoint across,

Its funny how all the pro barber people cant READ a sentence properly, you missed the part where I said "this has nothing to do with FFP. Since Barber has arrived caos has rained".

Would you like me to explain to you what nothing to do with FFP means, or are you going to go 50/50 or phone a friend?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
In fact, did you even watch the whole interview?
I'm amazed how this question, when put to an anti-Barberist, never gets an answer.

What would you do differently to what Barber is employed by Tony to do?
Definitely the way to approach these 'debates'.
Its funny how all the pro barber people cant READ a sentence properly, you missed the part where I said "this has nothing to do with FFP. Since Barber has arrived caos has rained".

Would you like me to explain to you what nothing to do with FFP means, or are you going to go 50/50 or phone a friend?
I think you're right, this has nothing to do with FFP, as i said earlier:-

FFP is a convenient devise for the club to pin prudent financial management too.
By virtue of the fact Tony isn't stupid, gullible, and realistic about football finances, The Albion under his investment would be doing it's own FFP irrespective of everyone else.

In the absence of anybody else with the finances of Tony, we have to march to the beat of Tony's drum.
Tony employs Barber, until that situation changes we can only assume Barber is doing his job in accordance with the wishes of his employer.
If you want to get angry at the chaos being rained down on your club take it out on the organ grinder, not the monkey.

If you replaced the name Barber with Bloom throughout this thread, it would have less credibility than Harry Potter's autobiography.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Right. So what point are you actually making? Because you've lost me.

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
If a manager lasts 1 year with you then if you include the previous and next managers you will always be at '3 managers in just over a year'.

A manager stays 2 years, then it is '3 managers in just over 2 years' etc.

It's just a choice of phrasing.

Exactly, look at Manure 4 managers in little over a year.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
what a stupid post, three managers in three seasons suggests something is not quite right yet the people that dare question anything are illiterate tramps? Priceless.

This is football! That's about average. Sorry but have to agree with commander here and he used a great pit down toboot so for me, he wins ;)

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
FFP is a convenient devise for the club to pin prudent financial management too.
By virtue of the fact Tony isn't stupid, gullible, and realistic about football finances, The Albion under his investment would be doing it's own FFP irrespective of everyone else.

Yes, I agree. However..... Until TB's interview yesterday, I thought TB's limit for operating losses was, coincidentally, the same as the FFP limits - ie £8m and falling. Yesterday, TB said that if the League votes for the FFP limits to be increased, he would increase Sami's playing budget.

So, while I still think that TB has a cap above which he won't want to spend, that cap isn't the same value as the FFP limits as they currently stand.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
A bit of spit and shine and all you wannabe lapdogs come running for barber to pat you on the head. Usually ceo's are held accountable by shareholders, but as that is mainly TB all he(Barber) has to do is keep the peasants amused(thats you lot) and the jobs half done. So many of you are happily spoonfed that I am suprised barber isnt already pushing ponzi schemes on the fanbase.

This has nothing to do with FFP. Since Barber has arrived caos has rained. Instead of being interviewed by some club shill he needs to face some real questions.:rant:

I believe we are still all waiting to hear what questions you would ask PB.

Also, shouldn't it have been 'chaos has reigned'! Not that I agree with you. Seems clear that under the previous stewardship, costs were out of control which, when taking into account the FFP limits, would have severely impacted on the playing budget. The fact PB has reigned costs in as well having increased revenue has had a positive effect on the playing budget.

what a stupid post, three managers in three seasons suggests something is not quite right yet the people that dare question anything are illiterate tramps? Priceless.

I don't think that three managers in three seasons suggests something is not right.

Gus left after 3 1/2 years which is probably longer then anyone thought, and due to his character his departing was probably always going to be messy.

Oscar left after just one season, just as he did in his previous job, then returned to the previous job. Which I think says more about Oscar then Brighton.

So that is 2 Mangers in 4 1/2 years. We have just appointed Sami Hyppia who from what I have read is very well thought of in the football world, he says he has investigated the club from top to bottom and was still happy to sign.

So just maybe there is no major problems with the club :shrug:

This will be the third season with a different manager surely thats not beyond you to work out.

If a manager lasts 1 year with you then if you include the previous and next managers you will always be at '3 managers in just over a year'.

A manager stays 2 years, then it is '3 managers in just over 2 years' etc.

It's just a choice of phrasing.

It's not just a case of phrasing, it is more to do with how you want to portray the club. 3 managers in 13 months sounds considerably worse than saying 2 managers in 4 1/2 years!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports