Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Barber interview on Seagulls World

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I think he is as open as he can be, I believe Tony and him want us to go up, I can see we have come a long way in a short time and stadiums, training grounds and players all cost money.

I see we are where we are, i.e Upson - wants to play at the top level and as Barber says, will get premier league money that we can't currently offer.

We are in a pecking order with most premier league clubs above us and some championship clubs below us.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
If you want him to him to face some real questions, why don't you ask him yourself? He'll answer them. Which you'll then dismiss as spit and shine.

As for 'caos raining' since Barber arrived, I think you'll find that the chaos was actually the totally out of control way that Ken Brown was running the club before him, losing millions of pounds a year in a completely unsustainable way. Barber has steadied the ship and sensibly cut a lot of the completely unnecessary costs of running the club, which can only be good for the long term future.

It's funny how all the pro-Barber people tend to be the ones that can actually string a sentence together properly and take time to put the reasons for their viewpoint across, and most of the antis are either the bedwetters, DK's old clique or the ones who come across like they can barely dress themselves in the morning. I wonder why that could be?
what a stupid post, three managers in three seasons suggests something is not quite right yet the people that dare question anything are illiterate tramps? Priceless.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
what a stupid post, three managers in three seasons suggests something is not quite right yet the people that dare question anything are illiterate tramps? Priceless.

Poyet wanted to leave as he wanted free control over spending which would have screwed us for FFP - not the clubs fault.
Oscar reportedly left because we couldn't sign his "players" and it also sounds like him going isn't a bad thing as he never communicated with the board - he resigned too, which again isn't the clubs fault.

These 2 clearly didn't want to buy into the fact that we aren't going to overspend and pay out ridiculous fees, hopefully Sami understands this and you would have thought he has done, that's why he accepted the job.

Oh, funny how you say its a stupid post, when a lot of people are actually in agreement with what was put.....especially as it was grammatically correct.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading

I don't think that three managers in three seasons suggests something is not right.

Gus left after 3 1/2 years which is probably longer then anyone thought, and due to his character his departing was probably always going to be messy.

Oscar left after just one season, just as he did in his previous job, then returned to the previous job. Which I think says more about Oscar then Brighton.

So that is 2 Mangers in 4 1/2 years. We have just appointed Sami Hyppia who from what I have read is very well thought of in the football world, he says he has investigated the club from top to bottom and was still happy to sign.

So just maybe there is no major problems with the club :shrug:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Poyet wanted to leave as he wanted free control over spending which would have screwed us for FFP - not the clubs fault.
Oscar reportedly left because we couldn't sign his "players" and it also sounds like him going isn't a bad thing as he never communicated with the board - he resigned too, which again isn't the clubs fault.

These 2 clearly didn't want to buy into the fact that we aren't going to overspend and pay out ridiculous fees, hopefully Sami understands this and you would have thought he has done, that's why he accepted the job.

Oh, funny how you say its a stupid post, when a lot of people are actually in agreement with what was put.....especially as it was grammatically correct.

Again more speculation on your part. If your happy to agree with someone who feels the need to abuse others just because they may have a different opinion to yours then so be it.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

It's actually three managers in little over a year, but accuracy isn't that high on your priorities is it?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I don't think that three managers in three seasons suggests something is not right.

Gus left after 3 1/2 years which is probably longer then anyone thought, and due to his character his departing was probably always going to be messy.

Oscar left after just one season, just as he did in his previous job, then returned to the previous job. Which I think says more about Oscar then Brighton.

So that is 2 Mangers in 4 1/2 years. We have just appointed Sami Hyppia who from what I have read is very well thought of in the football world, he says he has investigated the club from top to bottom and was still happy to sign.

So just maybe there is no major problems with the club :shrug:

I've been one of those defending Oscar on this board, but I couldn't have put it better. It is this, rather than anything else that shifted -- that is, lowered -- my view on Oscar.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I thought they were generally good interviews and that PB said as much as he could. It doesn't take somebody with the brain of a rocket scientist to work out that if a player is bought against the wishes of the manager or one he didnt rate he would not get picked so pointless expenditure on wages etc in the first place. Obviously some transfers will work well some wont as with Obika and Lita, both with reasonable records at this level but it just didnt work for us. Lita went back to Swansea and played again for them in the Premier, which says something.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

So that is 2 Mangers in 4 1/2 years.
Exactly. I think the average life of a football manager is less than a year. Gus was here for 3 1/2, Oscar for 1, and Sami has just joined. It suggests that Oscar wasn't happy here - that's about all it suggests.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
If you want him to him to face some real questions, why don't you ask him yourself? He'll answer them. Which you'll then dismiss as spit and shine.

As for 'caos raining' since Barber arrived, I think you'll find that the chaos was actually the totally out of control way that Ken Brown was running the club before him, losing millions of pounds a year in a completely unsustainable way. Barber has steadied the ship and sensibly cut a lot of the completely unnecessary costs of running the club, which can only be good for the long term future.

It's funny how all the pro-Barber people tend to be the ones that can actually string a sentence together properly and take time to put the reasons for their viewpoint across, and most of the antis are either the bedwetters, DK's old clique or the ones who come across like they can barely dress themselves in the morning. I wonder why that could be?

Another great post, perfectly put Commander.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
If a manager lasts 1 year with you then if you include the previous and next managers you will always be at '3 managers in just over a year'.

A manager stays 2 years, then it is '3 managers in just over 2 years' etc.

It's just a choice of phrasing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here