Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Paul Barber and Bennet's Field.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
View attachment 169325
Just to support what other were saying, no there is no access between stadium carparks and the new development's access road. Could there potentially be? Possibly, but a big part of the development's pitch is car free (there are some accessibility bays but thats it). In fact there's a pretty hefty cycle storage facility planned from what I've seen. So I don't think car/coach access from the Amex is on the cards at all
Cycle down the A27? In via Woodingdean? Sounds like a load of bollocks 🤔

Unexpanded Falmer Station is already unfit for purpose (too small) on matchdays before another 550+ people are thrown in.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS

Unexpanded Falmer Station is already unfit for purpose (too small) on matchdays before another 550+ people are thrown in.
How are students going to walk to the station? These plans make it look like the area is cut off from the Albion owned land, so presumably they’ll have to walk onto the main road and then down again to access Falmer.

Ridiculous.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton

Realistically 550 people isn’t an issue for the train given there are already substantially more students housed in the immediate area already.

Also expanding Falmer station isnt really the issue. I believe it could be done, but you can’t extend the platforms at Lewes beyond the 8 carriages they currently support. That’s the bottle neck.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Bats has anyone mentioned bats?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I’d be shocked and astounded if there are more than 50 or so students willing to live here.

Whilst there is planning permission granted, any developer will quickly realise that the spot in question would be profoundly unpopular. With another 3 tall towers of student accommodation going up near Moulsecoomb station in the near future (behind Manor House) there just won’t be anywhere near the numbers to fill this monstrosity.

el punal

It's Saturday and the start of term. Brighton have a home game. Jacinta and Jeremy's families have bought them down in the trusty family Volvo (s). Unfortunately they are sitting somewhere West of Stanmer Park in a horrendous football sized queue. When they finally reach the entrance forecourt, there are already half a dozen more Volvos completely blocked in some arriving some trying to leave and some unloading. There is nowhere to queue here, nowhere to park and some oaf has waved them away from Falmer Village, as if they were course football supporters.

They will have to head back towards Hollingbury and rejoin the queue, repeat post match when they finally arrive back at the student accomadation. I have to assume they have one the right to appeal the grounds of the objection. It would be madness to approve this scheme on traffic grounds.
Well that is an interesting interpretation of students checking into halls of residence. I would imagine Jacinta and Jeremy’s families would probably already be aware of the problem and come up with the time honoured phrase of “f*** this for a game of soldiers”, and chosen another time and date to do their delivery. Trust me not all uni students’ parents are hooray henrys and drive Volvos.

And, yes, the whole scheme is madness. :thumbsup:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Surely the door was opened by 2 uni campuses and the village being carved in half by a dual carriageway
To an extent but most of that was on the northern side of the A27. Doesn't seem likely to me he'd have got permission to put tower blocks on that field if the stadium - and car parking area - had never existed.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I’d be shocked and astounded if there are more than 50 or so students willing to live here.

Whilst there is planning permission granted, any developer will quickly realise that the spot in question would be profoundly unpopular. With another 3 tall towers of student accommodation going up near Moulsecoomb station in the near future (behind Manor House) there just won’t be anywhere near the numbers to fill this monstrosity.

There’s more than enough students to fill it out.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
There’s more than enough students to fill it out.
Not at the prices they’ll be charging in that location. Most 2nd/3rd years want cheap HMO’s in the centre of Brighton, NOT £250pw in the isolated Bennett’s Field. Private student accommodations in much better locations in the City are now actively marketing to non-Students.

My guess is, they’ll convert it to a hotel once it’s built.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
nimby level trying to find fault with a development, traffic on one day of the year is not a good objection. can be mitigated by university advising to arrive on Sunday or club asking for away fixture that weekend (which i believe we do). a hotel or car park would create a lot more traffic, wouldnt object to that, right?
The volume is neither here not there. The traffic flow is what is important here. It looks like there is limited space on site to drop off and turn. You then have cars approaching from the Eastbound A27 wanting to turn right on the Drove roundabout. If they start queueing traffic heading for Woodingdean has nowhere to go.

Huge sums of money were invested in improving the road access for the stadium and transport links are still far from perfect. If everyone plays nice, there is a workable solution. The club has parking adjacent to this site and a walk through would benefit everyone, with the exception of the clubs security.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not at the prices they’ll be charging in that location. Most 2nd/3rd years want cheap HMO’s in the centre of Brighton, NOT £250pw in the isolated Bennett’s Field. Private student accommodations in much better locations in the City are now actively marketing to non-Students.

My guess is, they’ll convert it to a hotel once it’s built.
Student accommodation is big business these days. I’m sure there will be plenty of demand

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Once the flats are built, we’ll have to start bringing our evening kick off times forwards. As most students are tucked up fast asleep by 9.30/10pm, we’ll have a restriction on evening events meaning a 6pm kick off time. And no noise or singing from the stands, there’ll be signs up saying to keep the noise down to respect our neighbours….! 😆

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here