Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pau Lopez - 3rd Choice Keeper

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Perhaps the club know more about Maenpaa signing his latest contract. I am sure there are a number of older keepers about like Robert Green etc who could do a job if ever called upon to play.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Perhaps the club know more about Maenpaa signing his latest contract. I am sure there are a number of older keepers about like Robert Green etc who could do a job if ever called upon to play.

Thought Maenpaa had signed his latest contract so not sure quite what you mean

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Thought Maenpaa had signed his latest contract so not sure quite what you mean

Has he indicated that this is the last he will sign unless he is No 1? Dont know just asking as it seems strange buying Ryan, going after Lopez when we have Walton and Sanchez coming through. That is 4 keepers under 25.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'd like to see us bring in Shay Given, the man himself. We need an experienced old hand to happily sit as third choice but be competent to step in, should we need him to. Given would be ideal in that role.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don't understand why we are chasing a young keeper when we have Walton on loan at Wigan I would have expected us to have gone for an old keeper nearing retirement like Shay Given as he may never be needed to actually play.

Spot on. With Casper retired and Sanchez coming through, a wise old head would be preferable in my eyes.
Agree, but I would even go so far as to say, risk Sanchez as no.3 until January (when we can recall Walton if necessary). The chances are he wouldn't actually be called upon to play. Save the money for where it's more urgently needed (the two world class strikers fund, for example).

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Out of all the positions needed,the 3rd choice goalkeeper is the least important. Someone like Anders Lindegaard or Ross Turnbull could do as a one year stop gap.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Out of all the positions needed,the 3rd choice goalkeeper is the least important. Someone like Anders Lindegaard or Ross Turnbull could do as a one year stop gap.

That depends on the clubs position regarding their first and second choice keeper.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Granted, I have haven't read this thread but maybe we're after a new no 1? (and no I'm not having a dig at Ryan)

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Granted, I have haven't read this thread but maybe we're after a new no 1? CH wanted 3 top goalkeepers so I should imagine any one of them can be the no 1? (and no I'm not having a dig at Ryan)

Aren't you just double backing on yourself there ?

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003

John Burridge

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here