Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pau Lopez - 3rd Choice Keeper

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
You're not wrong. Won us far more points than he cost us, but didn't make it any less infuriating. As did Baldock's miss.

Sigh. Thought I'd be well over it by now.

I doubt we're going to spend anything like 4M on this keeper. Looks a decent 2nd/3rd choice if the price is right.

Oh yes, not knocking Stocko as such, the penalty saves and other moments were amazing.

The Baldock miss was as bad......

I'm a bit perplexed re this third goalie. With Sanchez already (who is okay), and the likelihood of needing a third goalie very rare. I can't see that this is very good business.

Unless Sanchez is going out on loan, the signing of a 22 year old surely blocks his development with the U23 squad, and if he's not close to the 22 year old in terms of ability, why are we keeping him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Blimey [MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION], do you take everything literally? [emoji2]

I would argue some of those he would have saved later on in his Brighton career, but by then he'd had the benefit of Ben Roberts coaching. They weren't errors as such.

Yes. Most things, especially on social media :wink:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm a bit perplexed re this third goalie. With Sanchez already (who is okay), and the likelihood of needing a third goalie very rare. I can't see that this is very good business.

Yes, me too. Third choice keeper unlikely to be needed, but why not treat the possibility as a glorious chance for a youngster to get a break?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
In fairness to Stockdale I think he conceded about 12 goals and didn't get near any of them as they flew in.. Not sure he parried shots back to the opposition every game.He may not have had a great start but he wasn't responsible for most of the goals conceded.

I've just checked the 14/15 season and he kept 13 clean sheets. Quite a few of those games were 0-0 draws.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I've just checked the 14/15 season and he kept 13 clean sheets. Quite a few of those games were 0-0 draws.

I'd be willing to bet they weren't in his first six or seven games, maybe my memory is shot but every shot on target seemed to end up in the back of the net when he was first here.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Yes, me too. Third choice keeper unlikely to be needed, but why not treat the possibility as a glorious chance for a youngster to get a break?

Exactly. I'd be interested to know how Man times in the last 10 years PL clubs have had to resort to their third choice keeper as starter.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
He is decent, but needs experience before sitting on the bench of a Premier league club.

Experience?.....if experience is the qualification for getting in our team. I'm sorry to tell you but we are f##ked. Because there is none, bar Murray, Sidwell And Rosenior. Two of which haven't had a look in yet and the other was only 3rd choice at prem clubs years ago.....Experience at a Premier league club, hasn't seemed to be a necessary requirement so far in our transfer dealings......Walton is a damn sight better than Ryan, from everything I've witnessed so far.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Had the nerve to mention this on another thread,the Ubers went mad.

Would that be the same Walton who has played 3 games and only conceded 1 goal?

Had he stayed at the Albion he so far might have made it onto the bench v Barnet.

It's not really rocket science, is it?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Experience?.....if experience is the qualification for getting in our team. I'm sorry to tell you but we are f##ked. Because there is none, bar Murray, Sidwell And Rosenior. Two of which haven't had a look in yet and the other was only 3rd choice at prem clubs years ago.....Experience at a Premier league club, hasn't seemed to be a necessary requirement so far in our transfer dealings......Walton is a damn sight better than Ryan, from everything I've witnessed so far.

Hooray!! Where have you been? I was thinking a while ago you hadn't been around for ages, two defeats and you're back. Fantastic stuff.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Experience of playing week in and week out for Wigan. Walton would not be number one here, even if Ryan turns out to be a dud (which I doubt) then Maenpaa is more experienced than Christian.
It wouldn't do Walton any good sitting on a bench all season. He will be a better keeper for the work he's doing now.

Cullip4

Oct 4, 2003
Brighton
Third choice goalkeeper is likely to be needed when we have an Australian international, looks like they are playing Tuesday so realistically Ryan will fly back Wednesday probably arrive back Friday morning having spent 24 hours on a plane albeit in upper class and not trained with the squad at all for two weeks.

I really think we are going to be rotating the keepers role this season starting vs West Brom and they for some reason do not trust Maenppa!

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Hooray!! Where have you been? I was thinking a while ago you hadn't been around for ages, two defeats and you're back. Fantastic stuff.

You could almost play moaning bingo, and tick off the same selection of posters who only seem to post when either we lose or they can find some other angle from which to post their miserable, negative crap.

It honestly makes me wonder why some of them bother at all when they seem to find absolutely no joy in anything that happens in relation to this football club.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Would assume loan if true given age and club's thoughts on Walton as our keeper long-term.

With the hysteria and pandemoneon on here, I thought most had forgotten Walton, who has been with the club for two years plus. Has been loaned out, recalled, played in the first team and accomplished himself well and yet we want three keepers ahead of him.
Clearly i'm not in close contact with the management, but why spend so much money on keepers that are on a similar level with him.
As a post script, we have lost two games, thats TWO GAMES, one to the most expensive team in the country and the other to the premier league champions of 2015/2016, the only outstanding feature of these games for me was that we failed to score and we did have opportunites.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here