Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Paths to Europe - Is this correct?

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
So there is an unlikely scenario where Man Utd & Chelsea win the Europa League and Champions League respectively, while both finishing outside the top 4, resulting in only the top 3 qualifying for the Champions League... but I'll ignore that for now.

Otherwise it'll be:

- Top four qualify for Champions League

- 5th place qualifies for Europa League

- FA Cup winner OR 6th place team, depending if winner has already qualified for Europe, qualifies for Europa League

- As Man Utd have won the League Cup and are likely to qualify for Europe, then 6th or 7th place teams (depending on FA Cup winner) will qualify for the Europa Conference.

So in summary,

- WInning the FA Cup would qualify us for the Europa League regardless of league position.

- Finishing 5th guarantees a Europa League spot in all likely scenarios.

- Finishing 6th would qualify us for Europa League, unless Sheffield United win the FA Cup, in which case it would qualify us for Europa Conference (unless Man Utd fall outout of top 5 as well)

- Finishing 7th would qualify us for Europa Conference, unless Man Utd fail to win FA Cup AND drop out of top 6, or Sheffield Utd win the FA Cup.

Think I've got my head round it anyway. Is this all correct??

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yes, except for your last line (Finishing 7th):

If Man U drop out of the top 6/7, and they win the FA cup:

Top 4 = CL
5th = Europa
Man U = Europa
6th = Conf
7th = nadda

So your line should say:
"Finishing 7th would qualify us for Europa Conference, unless Man Utd drop out of top 6, or Sheffield Utd win the FA Cup.

Last edited:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
What if West Ham win the conference league?
It shouldn't matter as we'd be awarded an extra place in the Europa League (not 100% sure that is the rule but it's same as if a side from outside of the top 4 won the Champions League we'd be allowed a 5th team in the competition*)

*If teams won the CL and the Europa League but didn't qualify for Europe through League positions both would go into the Champions League and the 4th place team would drop into the Europa League, again this would create an extra place in the Europa League for that season.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Whilst I appreciate all of the positive talk of aiming for the Champions League, with the teams up there and our run in, realistically it’s not going to happen.

No shit (although I appreciate your need to post it, because some have got carried away)

But 6th is definitely very realistic and absolutely should be the position we should aim to finish in as a minimum now which would guarantee Europe.
Sorry to be boring here, but we don't actually aim to finish in a position, we aim to win every game.

I'd be very happy with finishing 7th, because it's not likely Sheffield will win the cup.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
No shit (although I appreciate your need to post it, because some have got carried away)

Sorry to be boring here, but we don't actually aim to finish in a position, we aim to win every game.

I'd be very happy with finishing 7th, because it's not likely Sheffield will win the cup.
Man Utd dropping out of top 6 is another scenario where 7th won't be enough, isn't it? Although admittedly that isn't very likely either.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Man Utd dropping out of top 6 is another scenario where 7th won't be enough, isn't it? Although admittedly that isn't very likely either.

Yes, that's what I said:

Yes, except for your last line (Finishing 7th):

If Man U drop out of the top 6/7, and they win the FA cup:

Top 4 = CL
5th = Europa
Man U = Europa
6th = Conf
7th = nadda

So your line should say:
"Finishing 7th would qualify us for Europa Conference, unless Man Utd drop out of top 6, or Sheffield Utd win the FA Cup.

I realise I didn't say it in the later post when just saying I'd be happy with 7th, but then I didn't mention one of our teams winning a European competition this year either because I don't think it's likely we'll miss out that way.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Whilst I appreciate all of the positive talk of aiming for the Champions League, with the teams up there and our run in, realistically it’s not going to happen.

But 6th is definitely very realistic and absolutely should be the position we should aim to finish in as a minimum now which would guarantee Europe.
You wouldn’t say that within punching distance of Roberto.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
They don't need to win the FA Cup though, as they will then occupy the Europa Conference spot, should they fail to finish top 6.

No one said they need to win the FA cup. Your first post said "- Finishing 7th would qualify us for Europa Conference, unless Man Utd fail to win FA Cup AND drop out of top 6, or Sheffield Utd win the FA Cup."

but it wouldn't matter whether Utd win the FA cup or not - either way, 7th wouldn't get Europe if they drop out of the top 7.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here