Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Passports-Another Great British Rip Off

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Nibble said:
Including the checking charge...................£73!!!!

Ten years ago it cost me £12!:angry: :angry: :angry:

and

Nibble said:
A 700% increase in ten years.

I think they should stop giving passports to people who can't do basic sums.:lolol:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Gwylan said:
and

I think they should stop giving passports to people who can't do basic sums.:lolol:

Oh, What % is it?:)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Let's do percentages with Uncle Gwylan
A £12 increase is 100%
a £24 increase is 200%
a £36 increase is 300%
a £48 increase is 400%
a £60 increase is 500%
and a £1 increase is 8.5%

So, a £61 increase (£73 - £12) is 508.5%

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Gwylan said:
Let's do percentages with Uncle Gwylan
A £12 increase is 100%
a £24 increase is 200%
a £36 increase is 300%
a £48 increase is 400%
a £60 increase is 500%
and a £1 increase is 8.5%

So, a £61 increase (£73 - £12) is 508.5%

Cheers. when you put it like that it seems so cheap. Only 508.5%!:lolol:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Nibble said:
Cheers. when you put it like that it seems so cheap. Only 508.5%!:lolol:

See, it's a bargain - that's 191.5% less than you were expecting.:lolol:

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
We're a triple passport family.

Our English ones which were recently renewed cost us £267 and our Irish £146 for the whole family. The Irish only cost £10 for the baby rather than the £45 here.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
The fun starts when the little chip in the passport fails before the passport has expired. I understand that the chip is only warrantied for 3 years, so if it fails after that you have to buy another passport, plus have your holiday ruined when you turn up at passport control and it does not work.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I paid £18 10 year ago,but just renewed and boy its a rip off,time you get your photo's etc its £75???

But no point in whinging as its a must:drink:

Rusco

Jul 8, 2003
Always Bringing Up The Rear
I consider myself to be well versed on this subject, especially after my passport interview on the BBC Breakfast programme :cool:

You can thank the Americans for the price rises in passports, as they have driven through the changes to the international air travel standards, which has resulted in the biometric passport. If the Americans had had their way, we wouldn't have one biometric (facial recognition) on our passports but three and that would have seen a huge price hike.

As mentioned on this thread earlier, from June this year first time applicants will have to attend an interview to get their passport, this is designed so that fraudsters who apply for passports to cheat the benefit system etc. will more than likely not bother, this has been proven in other parts of the world, even down under I think.

The problem with these technological advances and extra security requirements is that the cost of the passport goes up and as the Identity and Passport Service is a self funding government department, the costs have to get passed on to the applicants.

as for the Post Office checking service it is a good service and may not be beneficial to you if you're used to completing forms for what ever reason, but there are plenty of people out there who find this a difficult task and therefore rely on this service to ensure their application has gone off meeting the cursory check that is provided over the PO counter. Did you know that 25% of all passports that are taken in directly from applicants through the post get returned to them because of one error or other. Those that go through the PO (over half of all applicants each year) only 1% have an error that have to be corrected, so pretty conclusive evidence that the service does work for some.

Rusco said:
as the Identity and Passport Service is a self funding government department, the costs have to get passed on to the applicants.
The government could just as easily set the objectives of the Passport Agency as requiring them to work within a different budget.

They could decide to reduce the price of passports to a fiver.

Or the government could demand that the Agency made a huge profit. Passports might cost £300.

The same reasoning applies to Identity Cards.

If the state wants a high-tech solution, and the electorate agrees, the taxpayer should pay for it.

I reckon if high-tech compulsory ID cards were free, most people would support the idea.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Lord Bracknell said:

I reckon if high-tech compulsory ID cards were free, most people would support the idea.

I'd like you to say that to a room full of No2ID members :ohmy:

No way IN HELL would I take compulsary state ID. As it is I usually have one or two items of state ID on me (driving licence/passport), but they are OPTIONAL, and thats the point

MYOB said:
I'd like you to say that to a room full of No2ID members :ohmy:

No way IN HELL would I take compulsary state ID. As it is I usually have one or two items of state ID on me (driving licence/passport), but they are OPTIONAL, and thats the point
I see where you're coming from. But I think you are in a minority. Free compulsory ID cards would be favoured by a majority of the population, even though they'd be bitterly opposed by a significant number of refuseniks.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Lord Bracknell said:
I see where you're coming from. But I think you are in a minority. Free compulsory ID cards would be favoured by a majority of the population, even though they'd be bitterly opposed by a significant number of refuseniks.

I'd seriously suggest you re-evaluate that statement before using it politically, oh future MP Bassford.... theres significantly more objections to ID cards on grounds OTHER than cost than you appear to be accepting.

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
MYOB said:
I'd seriously suggest you re-evaluate that statement before using it politically, oh future MP Bassford.... theres significantly more objections to ID cards on grounds OTHER than cost than you appear to be accepting.

On what do you base that statement? I'm yet to see a representative poll with a statistically meaningful sample size suggesting that the majority of the population of the U.K. opposes ID cards.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here