Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Pascal Groß just getting the train home

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Along with Lewis Dunk, Pascal must be in the build a statue category of players. From scoring our first goal in the premier league to practically setting up every other one, Pascal has been key for both our initial survival and our recent Premier League success. A modern-day legend
So many BIG goals.

- First PL goal
- Goal that kept us up V Utd in the first season
- Goal V Newcastle at the end of next season which gave us the point to seal our PL status
- First away goal in Europe

I'm sure there's more.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
100% this. I know all the old boys get misty eyed at Lawrenson, Horton and Ward but he's better than all of them IMO. It's weird to think that in 30 years or so when my son's an old fart he'll probably be exactly the same over Gross and Dunk, even if we're winning World Super Leagues or whatever by then.

Best value player in Premier League history? I think so.
I think Lawrenson, to be fair, was in a different class to Horton and Ward. He went on to win 5 League championships, 2 FA Cups and the European Cup with Liverpool.
Pascal’s contribution to Brighton, though is probably equal to or better than anyone’s.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
My chief concern for Pascal on that train would be that the tsunami of free drinks offered to him, would see him turn up at his stag do already absolutely twatted.

Wouldn't that be a typical way for a German to arrive at a "stag do?" 😉

(written by a German - American)

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
I absolutely agree that Gross has become an Albion legend; but I think there are several players (not least Dunk and Murray who were also essential to our early Premier League survival) who deserve the same status, even though Gross is my all time favourite!
When asked why it was he was having a bit of a purple patch scoring in the premier league, Glen Murray answered, Pascal Gros.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
100% this. I know all the old boys get misty eyed at Lawrenson, Horton and Ward but he's better than all of them IMO. It's weird to think that in 30 years or so when my son's an old fart he'll probably be exactly the same over Gross and Dunk, even if we're winning World Super Leagues or whatever by then.

I suppose I’m an old boy now 😃 and I do get misty eyed about those players
But at Brighton, Nobby had one season in the Premier League - Lawrenson two.
Peter Ward never quite cut it at the top level

Pascal Gross and Lewis Dunk have had six seasons - six.

So it’s got to the stage where those two are the best and most consistent players to have played for the Albion. Not the best players (Vincente?) - but the best players for the Albion.

And you have got to be right that Pascal has to be the Best Buy in the league’s history.

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022

So it’s got to the stage where those two are the best and most consistent players to have played for the Albion. Not the best players (Vincente?) - but the best players for the Albion.

And you have got to be right that Pascal has to be the Best Buy in the league’s history.
True enough … at some point I will have to consider that some of ours now are better than Zamora 😊

Jimmy Grimble

So many BIG goals.

- First PL goal
- Goal that kept us up V Utd in the first season
- Goal V Newcastle at the end of next season which gave us the point to seal our PL status
- First away goal in Europe

I'm sure there's more.
Goal against Southampton to effectively secure European football.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

The Albion team for the last 18 months has surpassed anything I dreamt of in the previous 50 odd years and Pascal and Lewis are right at the top of it :thumbsup:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I think Lawrenson, to be fair, was in a different class to Horton and Ward. He went on to win 5 League championships, 2 FA Cups and the European Cup with Liverpool.
Pascal’s contribution to Brighton, though is probably equal to or better than anyone’s.
Agreed, but looking at it solely from a Brighton perspective we didn't see Lawro at his peak. He was with us for 4 years from the ages of 19 to 23 (roughly speaking). It was when he went to Liverpool, from 23 to 31, (again approx) that he fully developed as a player and his career really hit the heights. (As his honours testify).

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Am I right in thinking that Gross is out of contract at the end of this season, or does he have another year to go? Either way, new contract soon please!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

I'm not sure I'd disagree with you, and that's despite them both playing 2 full seasons alongside a bloke who went on to run (and win) the World Cup final for an hour, eclipsing his team mate who was/is the best player in the world of his generation.

It is mental.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Albion team for the last 18 months has surpassed anything I dreamt of in the previous 50 odd years and Pascal and Lewis are right at the top of it :thumbsup:
And yet the moaning on the 'terraces' is still deafening.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006

Having seen them all I don’t think any would get into an all time best 11 any more, not even Lawro. Van Hecke is already better than him :eek:

The quality of players in the PL all over the pitch are streets in front of players from those from our last heady days imo. Watch the ball skills and compare.

I need to duck here don’t I?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here