Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Partners stuck overseas

Jul 7, 2003
Is the ferry over to Newcastle still running from Sweden?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
All non essential travel to Europe suspended for 30 days posted on BBC Website just minutes ago.

British people currently abroad should "immediately return to the UK" except for those in a few countries detailed in the Foreign Office's travel advice.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51924405

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Can't speak for the OP, but we woke up at home as normal on the morning of March 7, only for Mrs Trufflehound to hear her 95-year-old mum had been taken into hospital overnight with a severe infection. Would you have not flown over to be with her if it was your mum?

Despite the surreality of the current situation, COVID-19 isn't the only thing happening in the world. Other shit stuff is also still going on all around us and we have to react accordingly.

I wouldn't say it was 'happily flying around'...

Sure, but I’m obviously not referring to those with cases such as yours (which is completely understandable).

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
All non essential travel to Europe suspended for 30 days posted on BBC Website just minutes ago.

British people currently abroad should "immediately return to the UK" except for those in a few countries detailed in the Foreign Office's travel advice.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51924405

Think you're misquoting from that article (or maybe they've edited it in the past hour). The paragraph I'm seeing says:

British people currently abroad do not have to immediately return to the UK - except for those in a few countries detailed in the FCO's travel advice.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Think you're misquoting from that article (or maybe they've edited it in the past hour). The paragraph I'm seeing says:

British people currently abroad do not have to immediately return to the UK - except for those in a few countries detailed in the FCO's travel advice.

It's been edited, I believe.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I've got nothing helpful to say other than good luck to the OP and anyone else in a similar situation.

And to any and every one else who is being or will be ****ed over in one way or another by this ******* virus.

Edited to say I didn't realise b'stard was a strong enough word to be filtered.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Can't speak for the OP, but we woke up at home as normal on the morning of March 7, only for Mrs Trufflehound to hear her 95-year-old mum had been taken into hospital overnight with a severe infection. Would you have not flown over to be with her if it was your mum?

Despite the surreality of the current situation, COVID-19 isn't the only thing happening in the world. Other shit stuff is also still going on all around us and we have to react accordingly.

I wouldn't say it was 'happily flying around'...

Clearly not, in your situation, and I would hazard a guess that they were referring to 'unnecessary travel', ie 'jollies'.

That said, I'm sure there are plenty of ways to get back from Swansea, other than flying, no?

Hope she manages to, safely and that her mum is okay.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I copied and pasted that paragraph, so yes, it has been edited.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Clearly not, in your situation, and I would hazard a guess that they were referring to 'unnecessary travel', ie 'jollies'.

That said, I'm sure there are plenty of ways to get back from Swansea, other than flying, no?

Hope she manages to, safely and that her mum is okay.

Without a vehicle there are actually fewer alternatives to flying than you might think, as most ferry routes don't take foot passengers. (Harwich-Hook of Holland does, but getting to Harwich from Swansea on public transport is a pain). Eurostar is the only genuine alternative, but even that adds a fair few hours to the journey time when starting from Wales and makes it a lot more expensive door-to-door...

On a more positive note, the mother-in-law is back home now and improving, albeit slowly (as you might expect at her age).

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Not a good situation. The only plus is that Sweden is a very safe country statistically and very politically stable . I would be much more worried if this happened in somewhere like India or Mexico or another country way down on the safe list for women .

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Quick update:

She managed to get a place on the only flight that leaves Kiruna each day, albeit (thus far) a day late. Has to find a hotel once in Stockholm, herself, (SAS won't do it, but will reimburse...yeah, whatever), and will *hopefully* get a flight from there to Heathrow, tomorrow.
I'll only believe it once that flight is en route to the UK.

Fingers and all else are firmly crossed.

Edit: For a change, she has got 9 loo rolls in her case, leaving out some of the fermented herring and salt liquorice.
Thank the Lord! :smile:

Last edited:

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Quick update:

She managed to get a place on the only flight that leaves Kiruna each day, albeit (thus far) a day late. Has to find a hotel once in Stockholm, herself, (SAS won't do it, but will reimburse...yeah, whatever), and will *hopefully* get a flight from there to Heathrow, tomorrow.
I'll only believe it once that flight is en route to the UK.

Fingers and all else are firmly crossed.

Good News

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Good news! shame about the salted licorice, brilliant ingredient to have in the cupboard, if circumstances had been different.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
It’s a complete mess - Emirates has just announced they are stopping flights on the 25th.

Airlines are waiting for the Government to pay and vice Versa.

I spent last week speaking to people refusing to cut short holidays and staying out there, despite the warnings.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I spent last week speaking to people refusing to cut short holidays and staying out there, despite the warnings.

They’ll be the ones whinging on social media when they can’t get home too, and expecting the government to get them home. Look forward to it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here